Property Dispute Leaves 3 Dead, 1 Injured and 2 In Prison, Maybe For Life

/ Property Dispute Leaves 3 Dead, 1 Injured and 2 In Prison, Maybe For Life #51  

It always amazes me that the vast majority of land disputes and arguments happens in the rural county. Most are over where fences are placed for livestock and where roadways/driveways are placed.

Because you have to practically live with your neighbors in the city, and you almost never interact with, let alone see, your neighbors in the country. When you have to live with someone, it's easier to get along than it is to argue. Hmmm.... kinda sounds like marriage. 🙃

/ Property Dispute Leaves 3 Dead, 1 Injured and 2 In Prison, Maybe For Life #52  
I read that in some states you can petition the court to grant an easement where no access to a property exists.
You can petition a court for anything, anywhere, anytime. You may wind up paying some court costs and the opponents legal fees if you lose though.

/ Property Dispute Leaves 3 Dead, 1 Injured and 2 In Prison, Maybe For Life #53  
It always amazes me that the vast majority of land disputes and arguments happens in the rural county. Most are over where fences are placed for livestock and where roadways/driveways are placed.

I think that is because in urban areas the parcels are smaller and surveys are easier to do on small tracts. Doesn't mean mistakes don't happen but it's easier to resolve a few inches off at a corner over 150 or 200' than it is several feet off at a corner over 10,000 feet or more, involving many acres and possibly affecting mineral rights. In urban areas, even very old, established urban areas parcels often change hands more frequently than in rural areas where the last survey may have been 2 or 3 generations ago.

/ Property Dispute Leaves 3 Dead, 1 Injured and 2 In Prison, Maybe For Life #54  
Because you have to practically live with your neighbors in the city, and you almost never interact with, let alone see, your neighbors in the country. When you have to live with someone, it's easier to get along than it is to argue. Hmmm.... kinda sounds like marriage. 🙃
I guess I am different from you, I see, and interact with my country neighbors a lot, but then I tend to get along with people well……

/ Property Dispute Leaves 3 Dead, 1 Injured and 2 In Prison, Maybe For Life #55  
I'm in a neighborhood of mixed 2 and 5 acre parcels; and when we moved here, it was like 6 2 acre pieces of woods on the left and right of me, with 3 5 acre pieces of woods behind me. Now, it's just 1 wooded piece left and 1 right, and the ones behind me. I couldn't tell you the names of any of the direct neighbors. I can tell you, the old farts across the street, the sex offender across the street, the sex offender through the woods, the guy with the black Challenger, old guy with the German shepards, but that's about it. My view, I would rather not know the close neighbors well enough they feel like they need to stop by to talk or whatever. Probably 70/30 chance I would hate or get along with them, but if I don't know them, no shepards.

Edit: I sound unfriendly as heck; but I have had a neighbor walk up (weird dude in the 2 story), and ask for a jump start. More than happy to do that, just don't invite me to dinner or coffee,

Got a guy one street over, who is a friend of a friend, but I avoid him, he's a weird dude, and we do know people, just avoid a relationship with people close enough they feel comfortable 'just stopping by'

/ Property Dispute Leaves 3 Dead, 1 Injured and 2 In Prison, Maybe For Life #56  
Wow, I am glad I know and like my neighbors!

/ Property Dispute Leaves 3 Dead, 1 Injured and 2 In Prison, Maybe For Life #57  
I'm in a neighborhood of mixed 2 and 5 acre parcels; and when we moved here, it was like 6 2 acre pieces of woods on the left and right of me, with 3 5 acre pieces of woods behind me. Now, it's just 1 wooded piece left and 1 right, and the ones behind me. I couldn't tell you the names of any of the direct neighbors. I can tell you, the old farts across the street, the sex offender across the street, the sex offender through the woods, the guy with the black Challenger, old guy with the German shepards, but that's about it. My view, I would rather not know the close neighbors well enough they feel like they need to stop by to talk or whatever. Probably 70/30 chance I would hate or get along with them, but if I don't know them, no shepards.

Edit: I sound unfriendly as heck; but I have had a neighbor walk up (weird dude in the 2 story), and ask for a jump start. More than happy to do that, just don't invite me to dinner or coffee,

Got a guy one street over, who is a friend of a friend, but I avoid him, he's a weird dude, and we do know people, just avoid a relationship with people close enough they feel comfortable 'just stopping by'
Yea, you do seem a bit unfriendly, so unlike the Paul Harvey America loved in the 60’s and 70’s!

/ Property Dispute Leaves 3 Dead, 1 Injured and 2 In Prison, Maybe For Life #58  
Yea, you do seem a bit unfriendly, so unlike the Paul Harvey America loved in the 60’s and 70’s!
You know, he actually was on until the earlish 2000s.

/ Property Dispute Leaves 3 Dead, 1 Injured and 2 In Prison, Maybe For Life #59  
I had a guy that lives down the road mentioned to me one day that since I do so much mowing of somebody else’s property. I should use adverse possession rules to take over what I’ve mowed.
And my response to him was “why would I want to be such a dick?“
I've got property like that and I figure that I have the best of both worlds because I am able to keep the property maintained so it looks good and I don't have to pay property taxes on it.

/ Property Dispute Leaves 3 Dead, 1 Injured and 2 In Prison, Maybe For Life #60  
I guess I am different from you, I see, and interact with my country neighbors a lot, but then I tend to get along with people well……
We have 7 neighbors where we live now in an older neighborhood in the county, and pretty much everyone gets along very well. We all stop and talk fairly often. In the city, we were much closer, with only 10' setbacks between houses. Got along with everyone there as well.

Our property further out in the county has ZERO houses within a mile east, west, and south. The only other humans are 1 house across the highway. I've seen them once since 1989.