What is the most money you paid for service on your vehicle?

/ What is the most money you paid for service on your vehicle?
We've almost always had a pair and a spare when it comes to cars.

Comes in handy some times. Not just for us, but if family flies in to visit, we can loan them a car. If someone else in the family needs to have their car in the shop for a few days, we can loan them one of ours.

And it's kinda nice sometimes to just say, "Which car do you want to take today?" 🙃
My supervisor knocks me for having so many cars. Always tells me "it must be nice" to have so much money.

Thing is, he and his wife has two vehicles. For what we paid for all of our vehicles, we are still substantially lower in overall buy price vs his two vehicles.

He just bought his wife and family and new Kia Telluride. Sticker was 62k and he paid over 55k. He was proud of that. Other than our house, the most I ever spent on a vehicle of some sort was John Thomas's F mower, (well under 20K) and even with shipping, thought I got a deal on it for what that mower does out back.

/ What is the most money you paid for service on your vehicle?
Maybe that Mercedes isn't so bad in costs after all?
Honestly, no clue. I was never a German kind of car guy other than my dream 911. That said, at the car show my son when to the other week, Nissan has a 400z that might be my retirement car.

/ What is the most money you paid for service on your vehicle? #23  
My supervisor knocks me for having so many cars. Always tells me "it must be nice" to have so much money.

Thing is, he and his wife has two vehicles. For what we paid for all of our vehicles, we are still substantially lower in overall buy price vs his two vehicles.

He just bought his wife and family and new Kia Telluride. Sticker was 62k and he paid over 55k. He was proud of that. Other than our house, the most I ever spent on a vehicle of some sort was John Thomas's F mower, (well under 20K) and even with shipping, thought I got a deal on it for what that mower does out back.
We just spent $30K on a used Subaru. That was the 2nd largest amount of money we've ever spent in one lump since 1985! The 1st was this house. And that was less than a the $62K Telluride you mentioned. 🙃

/ What is the most money you paid for service on your vehicle? #24  
My sons Kia Soul’s engine died a few weeks ago. Kia replaced 100% with no cost and gave him a rental for the weeks it took to get the engine and install.

Kia was not being nice - they settled a class action lawsuit by agreeing to replace bad engines due to manufacturing defects.

Good thing my sons engine went out after the settlement!

/ What is the most money you paid for service on your vehicle? #25  
In 2013, our 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid's battery gave out. We had approximately 80k on the car at that time. We were out of town at the time attending my eldest son's wedding with the car. We took it to the dealership and paid full freight (including freight) for a new battery installed. It was 3k which I was highly upset about at the time (3k was more money then than it is now), but the car was good otherwise and I couldn't get it home the way it was so I bit the bullet and paid the bill.

Fast forward 10 years. My middle son still has the car (we sold it to them in 2016ish) and drives it 100 miles per day back and forth to work and it's pushing 250k and still on that same battery pack. Sure glad I didn't trade it or sell it for no money ten years ago.

/ What is the most money you paid for service on your vehicle? #26  
$2500 for bodywork after I hit a deer. I only had liability insurance on that car since it only cost me $2500. But it was a clean one owner low mile first gen Eclipse I'd bought from a friend, and it was a lot of fun to drive.

/ What is the most money you paid for service on your vehicle? #27  
Not counting bodywork, it would have to be replacing the ECM for the Cat 3126 on our big truck. Just rolled over and died on us overnight on a big trip. Part of the price tag was the diagnostics to figure out that it was actually a dead ECM, and then the repair which required getting it towed to one shop to do the initial work and then towed to another to reprogram the ECM to get it running. $3,500? Definitely in the "stuff happens" category. At the time I recall looking into it and discovering that certain models of some cars are especially prone to blowing their ECMs, one of which we owned before a deer totaled it. Sigh.

Bodywork would go to my former mechanic (you will see why he is a former mechanic in a sec). He worked on the suspension and drove the car down the street to get it aligned, and had someone fly out of a McDonalds and move the whole front end forward of the front wheels over about two inches on a heavy duty unibody vehicle. That was more like $7k. The former mechanic folded his arms and said "it is your problem, I was just driving under your authorization and your insurance." My insurer at the time wasn't much better, and I ended up having to have the state Attorney General threaten them to get the insurer to settle. It transpired later that this particular insurer had been dragging out reimbursements and getting kickbacks from body shops and mechanics for storage fees. A few adjuster were convicted and the company had its hand slapped, mildly, in my opinion.

All the best,

Peter

/ What is the most money you paid for service on your vehicle? #28  
Ok, I'll be that guy that has the WTH story that my wife still makes fun of me for. We just finished doing a refinance of our home and we were the last ones in the building of the mortgage company. It was raining and dark and I was running out to get the car so my wife wouldn't have to walk in the rain.

Since I was hurrying, because it was cold rainy and wife was outside under an awning, I didn't bother to flip on my lights. It was 5pm ish in November so pretty dark. I was just going through the parking lot and BAMB, I hit something HARD. I still didn't know what I hit but my head hit the ceiling of the car since I hadn't buckled up yet either.

A few seconds after impact, I see a parking light pole very slowly (like in slow motion) falling to the ground in front of my car. Not kidding. I had smacked a parking light pole, in the parking lot of this multi office building. A lady stopped because she saw it and asked if I was ok, which I was.

Still gives my wife a good laugh as she watched it happen. $4k in repairs to my car.

/ What is the most money you paid for service on your vehicle? #29  
How much for the light pole?

/ What is the most money you paid for service on your vehicle? #30  
2005 Chevy 2500HD, gas, 4x4 extended cab; flipped it over (airborne, backwards, bounced on cap, and landed on tires). Insurance totaled it, or I could get the truck and $10,800. I took the truck, and spent around $6500 for junkyard cab, glass, 3 doors; left the bed and paint alone. Drove it for probably 3 or 4 more years, but took a beating when I sold it. It had transfer case problems (the steel pump eats through the magnesium housing), out put seal, and speed sensor. I think I got $3500 when I sold it. Always wondered if something was just ever so slightly not straight led to those issues? Needed the money more than a pretty truck at the time.