Tree cutting accident

/ Tree cutting accident #161  
Emerald Ash Borer. Brought into the Great Lakes region from China, been spreading out from there the last 15 years.

That's exaggerating the point a bit, but yeah... EAB-killed trees do get brittle and unpredictable with time. I've been felling them quite regularly, the last ten years. Many in the 40" - 48" DBH range, on the property where I happen to do most of my cutting.
All our ash trees are dead and dying here. Never head it being referred to as EAB.

/ Tree cutting accident #162  
Around 50% of sawyers visiting ER and clinic's is for injury's above the persons belt line, like the ash tree breaking off and killing this poor chap. So chaps are good for 50% at best.

/ Tree cutting accident #164  
Look for the holes in the bark shaped like a D
That's Emerald Ash borer, it girdles the tree as the larva grow and eat, then they mature, go through the bark and into the next tree.

I tried to use the poison that gets in through the tree roots, but even that tree died.
Usually by the time the tree shows any signs, it's too late :-(

Some people have kept a few alive, and a few seem to not have EAB. But it's inevitable that the mature ones will be gone.
I am keeping a few stumps clear to have suckers come out, but not many of those survive either.

Every time it's windy here, you can here the tree parts crashing in the woods.

/ Tree cutting accident #165  
A couple weeks ago a dead tree fell in the night. About 100 feet from the house. Woke the dog - his barking scared the snot out of me and woke me. Luckily, it fell parallel to the house and not across it.
Sounds too close for comfort! Glad you escaped any damage.

/ Tree cutting accident #166  
A chainsaw should never be used on a ladder, period. Your options are:

1. Pole saw
2. Learn to climb
3. Get a lift or bucket truck
Never used a bucket to cut limbs yet but will be doing it at some point. I saw a FB advertisment the other day from a 'landscape service' that showed a guy in a manlift bucket cutting a limb with a saw (not a polesaw) and it appeared that the limb was hanging over the edge of the manlift/bucket. I'm sure it just the angle of the picture but it is a reminder that even in a bucket or manlift you have to be careful.

/ Tree cutting accident #168  
Dead trees scare me. If anyone knows a great (safe) way to get them down I would like to know about it. I won’t stand under one and cut it. I have envisioned a saw with a long handle supported on a turn pole. Allowing one to stand far off and get the widow maker down.

/ Tree cutting accident #169  
Very often smaller branches come out of our maple trees during a breeze. It always amazes me how the but ends can penetrate the ground to a depth that makes pulling them out a major chore.

A hard hat would be found somewhere around the lungs if one of those hit top down.
Unless it’s a straight down vertical hit, a hard hat should cause a glancing blow