Fluids for T474HC?

/ Fluids for T474HC?
You feel better about yourself now. The red indicator is fuzzy it looks like it has fluid in it but so is the rest of the picture to me. New hydro fluid is straw to almost clear so I can’t tell by a picture. Also welcome to my ignore list.
WTF? You asked for a closeup, so I gave you a closeup. And that got your panties all in a wad? Don't rub up against a cotton ball, your skin is way too thin and you will get a bruise.

/ Fluids for T474HC?
I'm going to say it's "#2 Overfull".

My last hydro fluid was so clear you couldn't see any tint in it at all. Looked like water. My current fluid (just changed) has a tint in it, looks like a very weak ice tea. Your pictures look like what my old fluid looked like in my sight glass. I think you're over full. Probably going to be fine, just stop putting more in.

When I changed my hydro fluid at 300 hrs of run time, it looked just as clean and clear as the day it went in. I would expect that yours will stay just as clean also.

At this point, I don't think you need to worry about "ever" adding more fluid during normal operations. Just measure what you put in next time you service it and change fluids. I doubt you will get all the fluid out on a fluid service change, but most of it. So when it says (example) "10 gallons", you may not get all 10 gallons of the new fluid in the trans before you see the mark in the sight glass.

TLDR; I think you'll be fine as long as you stop adding fluid.
I only have about 8 or 9 hours on the clock, so at the very least it will all get drained out at the 50 hour mark. Anything destructive that can come from driving the tractor being overfilled with hydraulic fluid? I have sent an email to my dealer, but haven't heard anything back yet.

I am surprised that if it is actually 2 gallons overfilled, that fluid wouldn't have started coming out of the fill hole.

As for the suggestion about dye, how much dye is needed to make a visual impact in a 9.3 gallon reservoir? Hmm, seems I have some UV leak detection fluid around here somewhere. Wonder if that would work?

/ Fluids for T474HC? #33  
This is the dye I use, it's very concentrated. Take one of them drip counters you get from a medicine bottle of eyedrops or similar and just give it a small doze of that. Then run your tractor for 15 minutes to circulate the fluid. If you have one of these fluid extractors like a large Mityvac just suck out the extra. John Deere Hydraulic Oil Dye - MT3668

/ Fluids for T474HC?
This is the dye I use, it's very concentrated. Take one of them drip counters you get from a medicine bottle of eyedrops or similar and just give it a small doze of that. Then run your tractor for 15 minutes to circulate the fluid. If you have one of these fluid extractors like a large Mityvac just suck out the extra. John Deere Hydraulic Oil Dye - MT3668
OK, sounds like this is worth a shot. Got it on order. Thank you for your help.

/ Fluids for T474HC?
In the meantime, any danger running the tractor if it might be over filled?

/ Fluids for T474HC? #36  
You should be fine. I probably had AT least two gallons over for 6 months plus before I got a hold of the dye and corrected the level.

/ Fluids for T474HC? #37  
Some people even run it high on purpose because of slopes. No problem.

/ Fluids for T474HC?
Well, that is good to hear about overfilling. What about the reverse? The fluid level being very low? Any signs, audible or otherwise I should take as a warning?

/ Fluids for T474HC? #39  
If it was too low you would have noticed it when it sucked air into the system. The only other thing would be the oil would run a little hotter.

If you are concerned, just use a piece of wire or something clean and stick in down your fill port as Seven Gables suggested. If it is wet when you pull it out you are good. You may can even see the level through the fill port with a light at this point.

/ Fluids for T474HC?
Talked to my dealer today. He asked about the FEL and whether I had the cylinders extended or retracted. Evidently the fluid level in the sight glass can vary based on how much hydraulic fluid is in the cylinders. I had all the cylinders retracted, so maybe that was reflected in the sight glass window as being "over filled". He said he didn't think being overfilled 2 gallons was a real big concern, if that is the case. I talked to the tech there as well, and he said he personally filled the hydraulic reservoir himself. Anyway, the owner said not to worry about it and there shouldn't be any problem. In any event, he would have my back since I made him aware of what happened.

And not to be outdone by Murphy's Law with my trip into hydraulic hell, I went over to the garage thinking I would put one of my vehicles on my lift and change the oil and filter. I was checking the lift arms to make sure they were all lined up properly before having them engage the lift points on the vehicle when I noticed a puddle of red fluid all over the floor at the base of the passenger side tower. And some of the red stuff splattered onto the side of the vehicle too. Damn..... The hydraulic hose making the bend across the cross member had burst right at the corner. Well, at least the vehicle wasn't part way or all the way up on the lift. The safety catches would have stopped a fall to the floor, but still even a sudden drop of a foot or so would have scared the crap out of me, and maybe even bounced the vehicle off of the lift points. So now I am looking for hydraulic hoses for my BendPak lift. The phone number on the side for service goes to a place that no longer does that sort of service, and BendPak's website page to seek out a service center shows none within 100 miles of my zip code.

Never had any sort of hydraulic problem before in my life and here I get two of them back to back. Maybe a bad omen. :(