oil decision

/ oil decision #1  

weeder

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 425 lawn tractor
Got an oil, change coming up in a while just bought this tractor a month ago, I'm curious what oil you use in your tractors or what is the best oil to use?

/ oil decision #2  
Not so sound rude but it would help if you told us the model of the tractor. So far we only know that it's a Massey Fergunson.

/ oil decision
Not so sound rude but it would help if you told us the model of the tractor. So far we only know that it's a Massey Fergunson.
My bad sorry it is a 2017 GC 1705 with just the loader!

/ oil decision #4  
Rotella T5 15W-40 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil supposedly "Heavy Duty Diesel" . I do not particularly care of it is synthetic or not so long as the letters show it is certified by the tractor mfr as OK for my tractors. Shell Rotella that says diesel on the jug is compatible with essentially all of them. Tractor Supply and many stores carry it.

/ oil decision #5  
I think people overthink it. Any quality name brand oil that is diesel rated is good. A synthetic is better. I figure if you use a synthetic don’t change it early because you’re just changing oil that is still good. Look in your manual, a lot of makers are specifying lighter weight oils like a 10w-30.

/ oil decision #6  
+1 On don't over think it.

As long as you use a good diesel specific oil, you will have zero problems.

Rotella T6 full synthetic 5W-40, is under $25 a gallon at Walmart. A good brand with a long proven track record, at a very good price.

/ oil decision #7  
👆 As above, Rotella T6 full synthetic 5W-40 is probably the most popular for engine oil. Myself, I use Mobil Delvac 0W-40, almost 20 years now in the GC, due to availability and price.

/ oil decision #8  
Agree with all of the above. Congrats on the new tractor!

/ oil decision #10