Restarting My '70 Nova Project

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #282  
One thing I miss about those 70ish Nova's is how easy they were to work on.

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project
One thing I miss about those 70ish Nova's is how easy they were to work on.
Yep, those were simpler days, didn't have to have a scanner or computer to figure out what was wrong. With a handful of tools you could fix anything on them.

Well, some days it just doesn't pay to expect a simple task to be simple.
Decided to put the driver's side door handle on, I had bought new rubber gaskets that go between to handle and the door, but the small one at the front attachment didn't fit worth a damn, so yesterday I made one out of some thin rubber I had. Today I went down to the shop, grabbed the handle, mounting bolts, and ratchet with a 5/16" socket, and got it mounted up, all good so far.
Closed the door, and pushing the button on the handle wouldn't open the door. I tried to to cycle the lock mechanism, thinking it was locked, but it wasn't. Finally was able to crawl inside the car and get the bolts out of the handle. Checked the depth to the arm that the rod on the button pushes against to unlatch the door, and the rod was about 1/2" too short.
This is the original handle, but the door is a NOS door for a '68 model, that is supposed to be identical except for location of the interior door lock. The body man had taken the affected area out of the old door and transplanted it into the new door, but that couldn't have affected the latch mechanism. I pulled the right side handle out, and the rod was the same length as the left side.
Sooo, I thought no problem, I'll just weld a little extension onto it, and we'll be good to go.
I cut a piece of 1/8" flat stock to the right width and proceeded to weld it to the existing rod. Well, I tried to weld it. The wire refused to feed to the torch, and after a lot of cussing and tearing it apart, the liner had slipped away from the feed roller and the wire had wadded up inside the end of the cable. Managed to get the wire (.030") pulled out. Not sure what the problem was, but I pulled the liner out and installed a used but good liner I had. Loaded the wire back up, put everything together and in 15 seconds I had the extension welded on. Ground the weld down to look a little more respectable and after I verified how long it needed to be, I trimmed the extension down. Went back to the door, bolted it up, made sure the latch wasn't locked and tried it out. Worked perfect.
So, a 10 minute job had now taken about and hour and a half.
That done, I bead blasted the adjustable latch that bolts to the body in the trunk, since to silver paint I applied to make it the body color reacted with the black paint that was on it, and turned into a wrinkle finish. I Put a piece of cardboard on the bench, gave it another coat of silver, after that dried, turned it over and sprayed the other side. Decided to sit down and have a drink (Diet Coke) when my house guest walked in, we talked for a few seconds and she walked to the bench just like there was a huge magnet pulling her, and before I could react, picked up the freshly painted piece, realized it was wet and dropped it.
At that point, I shooed her out, locked up and went back to the house.

I know it's been a while, but I had a little derailment in my recovery from the back surgery, on the eve of Easter, my gallbladder decided to get extremely angry, so I spent Easter Sunday in the hospital getting it removed. For about five weeks after that, I just felt like crap, pains from the muscles where they poked four holes in my abdomen, a constant feeling of being bloated and frequent heartburn.
But, I'm much better now, back to concentrating on back surgery recovery, which according to the doc when I saw him Monday, is going better than he expected, the fusion looks very good for the point of recovery I am in. That was great news.
So, I have been working on the vent window assemblies, getting the new seals installed, mounting the windows in the frames, assembling the friction washers in the correct order, and installing the stainless trim on the inside and outside of the vertical tracks.
As usual, tracking down the parts takes 10 times as long, or more, as it does to install the parts. This was the case of the stainless trim pieces. After searching through every likely storage box, I finally found them wrapped in paper towels secured with rubber bands. I unwrapped them and got the ones for the passenger side installed, and the onside piece for the drivers side installed too. But, I couldn't find the one for the outside of the driver's side. Back to searching through boxes and anywhere I might have stashed it. Another search for the channel the door glass slides in came up empty too. Apparently I never ordered those, so I ordered those this evening from ChevIIOnly, should have them in a couple of days, then I can get the door glass in and get the doors fully assembled.
Once I get them done, I'll pull them off and roll the body upside down and get to work on the headliner.
It might end up taking me two years to get this thing back together, you never know.
IMG_20230504_172537412 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20230504_172544031_HDR (Medium).jpg
IMG_20230504_172602924 (Medium).jpg

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #287  
I know it's been a while, but I had a little derailment in my recovery from the back surgery, on the eve of Easter, my gallbladder decided to get extremely angry, so I spent Easter Sunday in the hospital getting it removed. For about five weeks after that, I just felt like crap, pains from the muscles where they poked four holes in my abdomen, a constant feeling of being bloated and frequent heartburn.
But, I'm much better now, back to concentrating on back surgery recovery, which according to the doc when I saw him Monday, is going better than he expected, the fusion looks very good for the point of recovery I am in. That was great news.
So, I have been working on the vent window assemblies, getting the new seals installed, mounting the windows in the frames, assembling the friction washers in the correct order, and installing the stainless trim on the inside and outside of the vertical tracks.
As usual, tracking down the parts takes 10 times as long, or more, as it does to install the parts. This was the case of the stainless trim pieces. After searching through every likely storage box, I finally found them wrapped in paper towels secured with rubber bands. I unwrapped them and got the ones for the passenger side installed, and the onside piece for the drivers side installed too. But, I couldn't find the one for the outside of the driver's side. Back to searching through boxes and anywhere I might have stashed it. Another search for the channel the door glass slides in came up empty too. Apparently I never ordered those, so I ordered those this evening from ChevIIOnly, should have them in a couple of days, then I can get the door glass in and get the doors fully assembled.
Once I get them done, I'll pull them off and roll the body upside down and get to work on the headliner.
It might end up taking me two years to get this thing back together, you never know.
View attachment 798942View attachment 798943View attachment 798944
Hope all is well. I had my gall bladder removed I'm guessing 15 years ago then had acid reflux so I take Omeprazole which works. Worst pain I've ever had, I'm sure you know...like a tight band around my chest!
With the Nova.

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #289  
Three funnies with my gall bladder, looking back.
Mine hit hard as I was driving home from work right as I was at a traffic light at a walk-in clinic. I parked...barely walked in...room full of people and I'm this 50 something man bent over clutching my chest squeaking out "heeelllppp". A gurney appears out of nowhere...an elderly doctor says " lift your tongue" as he pops in a nitro glycerin tablet...EKG machine hooked up as I hear sireens . I'm loaded onto ambulance speeding the 4 miles to hospital. All these tests made as this pretty nurse (how come there are so many pretty nurses?) gives me a shot. Seconds later I jump up hugging her saying "thank you so much! Wow! I feel great!!!" She laughed " Hold on...that was morphine!". ER doctor comes in "Mister gall bladder!"...so I knew what it was.
I had laproscopic surgery like you. All was well. Next day another pretty (REAL pretty) nurse comes in "you can go, as long as you can pee. Sure...so I go into bathroom...but she followed me in! I said, "no offense, but this won't work!"
She waited outside and I was free to go!