Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,351  
When was the last time in the US that the gov went after a monopoly?
How does corporate consolidation help workers that become redundant.
How do lobbies and PACs affect elections.
The oil and solar companies have large lobbies, so the states have to deal with any limits/controls on their own.
Either AT&T or MicroSoft, forget which was last…

Last edited:
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,352  
On a somewhat related energy sector note.

There's a large ethanol plant here in town. It was built around 1985, and ran until around 2012. It was closed down for two years and headed to the scrapper when a company came in, bought it, invested $30M into it around 2014, and just yesterday it was announced another company just bought it and plans to spend $230M in upgrades and expansion.

While I'm not a fan of ethanol, it's a huge investment, has a great location, ample farms to supply it, great water source, rail lines, electric, etc. The also produce industrial gasses from the process, as well as animal feed. The expansion is supposed to increase those, as well as fertilizers and natural gas. There's a greenhouse next to it that is working on a process to use some of the CO2 from the ethanol plant to increase productivity. That greenhouse is expanding, and another much larger one is slated to start construction soon right next door.

It's interesting to see how waste that was once just discarded has now become valuable, and companies are now squeezing everything they can out of their processes to lessen costs and increase profits.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,353  
I didn’t say “letting the rich people keep money” —- I said letting EVERYONE KEEP THEIR MONEY.

going back several layers of this convo, what pisses me off more about the whole “Green Energy” thingy is that the people who push it most are the ones who follow it least.

DiCaprio’s yacht has a bigger carbon footprint in one week than my entire household - including residence, woodlot, vehicles and machinery) does in a year.

When the screechie preachy one’s start living like they demand the rest of us do (Lead By Example) maybe I will be more attentive.

I think I will go outside and burn a tire to vent my frustration now…
With you here. It actually makes it harder for those who are legitimate, serious and realistic about the situation (like me).

Now that I remember, a few years ago, Warren Buffet started a program where he personally challenged everyone he could find that was worth at minimum 1 billion dollars to find something to give at least half of it away too. What a great idea. But even Buffet said it was silly that he had to encourage extremely wealthy people to do something positive with the outrageous amounts of money they had, usually through working the system and finding ways to not pay taxes. Depending on the "kindness" of the super wealthy to make america better just doesn't work. I think they should have to give more of it up. We can debate what it should be spent on but it could lower the average American's taxes drastically and they would never see the difference. Imagine what good could be done with a fraction of a percent of the taxes Jeff Bezos DOESN'T pay. Instead he tried to pay a German village to tear down their 200 year old stone bridge just so he could get his newest yacht through.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,354  
With you here. It actually makes it harder for those who are legitimate, serious and realistic about the situation (like me).

Now that I remember, a few years ago, Warren Buffet started a program where he personally challenged everyone he could find that was worth at minimum 1 billion dollars to find something to give at least half of it away too. What a great idea. But even Buffet said it was silly that he had to encourage extremely wealthy people to do something positive with the outrageous amounts of money they had, usually through working the system and finding ways to not pay taxes. Depending on the "kindness" of the super wealthy to make america better just doesn't work. I think they should have to give more of it up. We can debate what it should be spent on but it could lower the average American's taxes drastically and they would never see the difference. Imagine what good could be done with a fraction of a percent of the taxes Jeff Bezos DOESN'T pay. Instead he tried to pay a German village to tear down their 200 year old stone bridge just so he could get his newest yacht through.
Warren Buffet also says that he doesnt pay enough in taxes, but there is this checkbox on everybody’s return for “Voluntary Additional Payment.”

my family’s net worth isn’t a blip on one day’s interest that he makes.

Hey Warren - nothing is stopping you from writing a big Ol’ check to Uncle Sam!

Or to me, for that matter…

My opinion of Bezos would get me inTBN Timeout, suffice to say that “disappointed” barely scratches the surface.

Last edited:
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,355  

I don’t think they should “have to give it up”, but they should not be shielded from mockery and scorn regarding their hypocrisy.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,356  
I never understood the appeal of owning a super yacht. Incredible outlay of cash for a few weeks of vacation. If I were super wealthy, I'd rent. :ROFLMAO:

When I was a kid, a friend of mine's father owned a 100' yacht on lake Michigan. They traded it in on a 110' yacht a few years later. While that pales in comparison to a super yacht, it was still longer than our house. 🙃

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,357  

Flat tax with no upper limit would resolve that pretty quick.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,358  
Warren Buffet also says that he doesnt pay enough in taxes, but there is this checkbox on everybody’s return for “Voluntary Additional Payment.”

my family’s net worth isn’t a blip on one day’s interest that he makes.

Hey Warren - nothing is stopping you from writing a big Ol’ check to Uncle Sam!

lot me, for that matter…

My opinion of Bezos would get me inTBN Timeout, suffice to say that “disappointed” barely scratches the surface.
I see nothing in this post that I disagree with, especially on the Bezos stuff lol.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,359  
Nothing demonstrates solar projects having any negative impact on adjecent property values. If anything is shows the community is smart enough to understand basic science and research done by their own, that FF's are killing the planet. However, it is wise find our if the landowner is going to do only solar, meaning panels mounted at a minimum height or the truly profitable and worthwhile method of tall mounting. The latter allows for continued use of the ground below for farming thus maintaining the ecological benefits of growing crops, available Ag tax credits, plus domestic production. No one loses!
I really hate to take this thread this way, but my milk crate is calling me again!

Making statements that are more political than "science" based is really not a good reality. I agree that in this day and age many so called scientists support the idea that fossil fuels are "killing" the planet. However, let's look at where this so called science-based data is primarily coming from. First, most of this "data" is coming from funding linked to green energy advocates and industries in the same way the opposite data is primarily coming from FF advocates and industries. The real question has to be, Why is the science being funded on one side so much better (more appropriate or sound) than the data coming from the other side?

I see/read research that "only green energy" can save us from extinction because it doesn't produce any co2 or methane, etc. Then you see research that shows that the data they are looking at is not significant e.g., atmosphere currently has less than .007% of these items in it. This administration, right, wrong or indifferent, has sided with the "alarmists" that have been spouting doomsday dribble since long before I was born (~65 years ago). Unfortunately, this has had an awful impact on "the American way of life" with higher taxes, higher inflation and higher costs for just about everything. Yet, this administration has the gall to say that we just have to deal with it, while "they" line their respective pockets with cash from the green energy advocates, and possibly from our enemies.

As I've mentioned many times before, here and other places, it appears that this "Green energy" phenomenon is only valid if it includes dysfunctional energy sources. Be it solar or wind, neither of which produces energy during times of darkness or lack of wind respectively. The counter arguments are even worse. "Battery technology has come a long way", okay, but it still isn't plausible yet, correct? "We are not looking at pollution from 3rd world countries (e.g., China) that supply green energy components because they are providing such a valuable service". So this pollution doesn't cause "greenhouse gasses" that contribute to our existential destruction, correct? "We MUST stop relying on fossil fuels or face impending doom!". But we will pay our enemies to have them drill, pump and ship these same (or dirtier) fossil fuels to us, correct? "Solar and Wind are the best green energy-related technologies that are available". So, what's wrong with Nuclear? Its clean, long lasting, works at night and during days with no/little wind. The containment and disposal of "spent rods" is not a greater threat to the environment than the components in solar or the fiberglass in the propellers of wind systems - and it could be argued that spent rod disposal is a lesser threat environmentally. Most Nuclear reactors have their rods replaced out every 6 years (on an 18 - 36 month rotation schedule) and it has been stated that there exists a "Billion year" supply of the elements necessary to fuel those breeder reactors. Six years sounds like a lot of waste, doesn't it? Well, current LiFo batter technologies are good for 3-5 years, then you have to dispose of all those nasty chemicals (and mine/process more), and the mining & processing of LiFo is extremely dirty compared to Nuclear elements.

What about Hydro? There have been Hydroelectric plants producing energy for almost as long as there has been commercially available electricity. What, because some broke dick duck doesn't like rushing water or fish ladders are causing undue stress on fish this is a bad technology? Or, it it just these technologies don't fit the current "narrative"? E.g., there isn't enough money to line this administration's pockets.

I could go on and on, but I'll step off my milk crate and put it away until it is once again needed!

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,360  
Status
Not open for further replies.