Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,161  
what statistics or publications are showing you to have bad air quality?

There are a number of sources if you care to look. I’m between Dallas and Houston on this map.

EDF
IMG_1493.JPG

WAQI
IMG_1494.JPG

TCEQ
https://www.texasobserver.org/coal-plants-offline-air-central-east-texas/

TDHS also has lagging indicators of higher per capita cancer rates in east and northeast Texas.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,162  
I don’t mind solar panels. I would gladly replace the contiguous lot owners (they do not to be dignified with the appellation “neighbors”).

last year, we even installed a small solar power system at our house.

HOWEVER…

I do mind the preachy pseudo-religious fervor with which some worship them.

View attachment 798465
Such memes are created by people who can not balance their checkbook.

They skip over simple realities and assume a PV panel with 20 year performance warranty will be dead unusable 20 years and 1 day later. The fact is while it might have been a 240W panel and is only producing 200W, that it is still producing 200W and the only reason to replace it is to install a new higher output panel. Leave it alone, it costs nothing and is generating power.

But lets say there is now a 6 million tons/year supply of used solar panels? As Elon Musk said about used lithium batteries, "There is no richer source of raw materials." Used solar panels are about 1000 times richer in the interesting stuff than ore mined from the ground. Those darn Capitalists will step in and make a profit from used PV panels! Assuming we have any resemblance of a Capitalist Economy in 2050.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,163  
Huh?
I have no such workers and have never hired an illegal worker

We will send em north anyways, don’t worry they have a SS card and license.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,164  
there are not enough rare-earth minerals to convert everything that is currently hydrocarbon-powered to electric, and certainly not enough to replace all the batteries as they reach the end of their service life.
You had me up until that statement.

Rare Earths are not rare but are simply named that to fool the gullible. The USA has more than enough known reserves, plus unknown reserves are found every day. The problem is our government will not allow these resources to be used no matter we can mine and refine these "Rare" Earths as clean as we do anything else. And certainly cleaner than anyone else.

EV batteries and motors do not consume Rare Earths. No more so than the 12V starter battery in your ICE consumes lead. At End Of Life the used item is a precious source for recycling.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,166  
We will send em north anyways, don’t worry they have a SS card and license.
So I don’t know what you’re trying to imply here, but I’d suggest you never again implicate me for using illegal labor as its slanderous and I do have a business to run and have customers who may read this website.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,167  
Such memes are created by people who can not balance their checkbook.

They skip over simple realities and assume a PV panel with 20 year performance warranty will be dead unusable 20 years and 1 day later. The fact is while it might have been a 240W panel and is only producing 200W, that it is still producing 200W and the only reason to replace it is to install a new higher output panel. Leave it alone, it costs nothing and is generating power.

But let’s say there is now a 6 million tons/year supply of used solar panels? As Elon Musk said about used lithium batteries, "There is no richer source of raw materials." Used solar panels are about 1000 times richer in the interesting stuff than ore mined from the ground. Those darn Capitalists will step in and make a profit from used PV panels! Assuming we have any resemblance of a Capitalist Economy in 2050.
Capitalist? What are you talking about? We don’t now in 2023.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,168  
Capitalist? What are you talking about? We don’t now in 2023.
We are State Capitalists.

Facebook did not build in Huntsville without government concessions.
Toyota did not build in Huntsville without government concessions.
Polaris did not build in Huntsville without government concessions.

Tesla did not take over an abandoned GM-Toyota automobile factory in Fremont CA without government concessions.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,169  
Same here.

Solar, Utility and Diesel Backup for the house/shop

Utility is served from solar, wind, hydro, battery storage, NG, Coal and Lignite, and Nuclear here.

Luckily our Coal and Lignite usage is reducing fast.

At peak today ERCOT was 49% solar/wind, 33% NG, 11% Coal and Lignite and 7% Nuclear.

At min load today 48% wind, 29% NG, 12% Coal and Lignite and 11% Nuclear.
Don't take this wrong, I am all for wind and solar, but we still have a long way to go to get wind/solar to supply our needs in Texas. I looked at the ERCOT website, your numbers are a little off. Peak demand today was at 1705 and wind/solar was supplying 33.4%, NG was supplying 45.9%. Currently with demand down, wind alone is providing 34.4%, which is good. NG is still providing the most with 44.7%. When the sun goes down and solar doesn't provide any supply, at least demand goes down to compensate for it.

1682998215409.png

1682998258820.png

1682998538393.png

Status
Not open for further replies.