Gooseneck or bumper pull?

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #21  
Actually, a properly installed GN hitch will be CENTERED on the centerline of the rear axle, not in front of it.

I thought on GN it depended on whether you are working with a short or long bed and It is fifth wheels that are mostly pin on axle center line?

Or maybe I am thinking of some companies actually putting the GN mount behind the rear axle which just seems like a bad idea

Last edited:
   / Gooseneck or bumper pull? #22  
Bed length has nothing to do with it. Centerline of the rear axle determines where the hitch ball is. RV's use a small 5th wheel plate. GN trailers use a ball. I believe the RV setups, you can slide the little plate back to obtain clearance on a swing but not sure as I don't have a RV like that.

I have an 8 foot bed anyway. I don't do soccer mom trucks. Never have. I do run air suspension on my back axle however.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #23  
Bed length has nothing to do with it. Centerline of the rear axle determines where the hitch ball is. RV's use a small 5th wheel plate. GN trailers use a ball. I believe the RV setups, you can slide the little plate back to obtain clearance on a swing but not sure as I don't have a RV like that.

I have an 8 foot bed anyway. I don't do soccer mom trucks. Never have. I do run air suspension on my back axle however.

If you can’t close the tailgate on 13-6’ lumber are you even trying?
IMG_4549.JPG

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #24  
I also have both. The worst place for a GN is a “T” where you have to make a 90* turn and there are pillars or a mailbox right out by the road. The bumper pull will make it. The GN might knock mailbox or pillars over.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #27  
It will be on a 3/4 Ton pickup. Looking at a Chevy 2500 today.

5030, what is the GVWR of your 28' Kaufman? 28' is not listed on their site. I need to keep the CVWR of the truck and trailer at 26k lbs to avoid needing a CDL
I have a 2500 and I like it. But, if I was doing it over I would get the 3500 SRW. At least then, the cost difference wasn’t that much.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #28  
My truck has the GN hitch installed, but I've never hauled one. This thread is helpful. I'm glad I got BP for my trailer as the driveway in town is narrow and has a shared mailbox right by the entrance...and the street is lined with cars about 1/2 of the time. Fortunately, the back of the property has a large enough space that I can pull the truck to the side, unhitch and turn it around manually.

Once we are permanently on the farm, I could see a GN being useful, but with only 9900 lbs to work with, it may not be practical.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #29  
I don’t see a GN being of much use until over a 16,000-18,000lb trailer.
That’s when the tongue weight of a BP starts getting heavy for a pickup.

/ Gooseneck or bumper pull? #30  
Every one I’ve ever installed (B&W and others) is just FORWARD of centerline. Including factory installed from Ram.
We always put them a couple of inches ahead of the CL mentioned. They live loads pulled great.

Yep, that’s correct.
EBY installed my 45,000lb 3” ball hitch about 4” forward of the rear axle on my RAM 5500. Allows the hitch to share a little more weight with the front axle, too.

1681681923413.jpeg