Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520

/ Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520 #11  
Belt (Kawasaki) vs direct drive (Honda)

Reliability goes to Honda, IMO.

Also consider the dump bed capacity. A 700-4 will give you more dump bed with the second seat folded down. Problem would be the width which is 60" but you needed a bigger trailer anyway. :geek:
Honda has not done well in the heavy towing world. I'd go Kawa.

/ Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520 #12  
Honda has not done well in the heavy towing world. I'd go Kawa.

That would be false. I wouldn't call the towing capacity of either "heavy".

Towing capacity of the Honda 520 (1000 lbs) and Kawasaki Mule SX (1100 lbs) are almost identical

/ Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520 #13  
That would be false. I wouldn't call the towing capacity of either "heavy".

Towing capacity of the Honda 520 (1000 lbs) and Kawasaki Mule SX (1100 lbs) are almost identical
OK. You just read the specs? But in the world of towing implements and that is my world, they have flailed and I'd not purchase one. Hows that?

Last edited:
   / Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520 #14  
OK. You just read the specs? But in the world of towing implements and that is my world, they have flailed and I'd not purchase one. How's that?

Your evidence is anecdotal and doesn't negate the specifications. How's that?

/ Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520 #16  
Belt (Kawasaki) vs direct drive (Honda)

Reliability goes to Honda, IMO.

Also consider the dump bed capacity. A 700-4 will give you more dump bed with the second seat folded down. Problem would be the width which is 60" but you needed a bigger trailer anyway. :geek:
I used to think that way too. Then I realized almost every ATV, UTV, Snowmobile use a CVT tranny. They are proven technology. So far, I'm impressed with mine.

/ Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520
I ended up buying a used 2022 Honda 520. The key in my initial post was "small UTV". The 50" width suits me fine. I don't need to tow huge loads. I have a tractor set up for work in the woods for the heavier work (forestry grapple on the front, 3 Pt hitch logging winch, dump trailer, forwarding trailer with hydraulic boom/grapple.) There is no way I'll be pulling out those kinds of loads with my SxS - the empty forwarding trailer weighs more than the rated tow weight of any of these, let alone when I get 5-6000 lbs of logs on it.

The main use for this is to be able to get out there when conditions are a bit too soft for the tractor. I can run out and do the felling & limbing, then come back with the tractor and winch or forwarding trailer when things have dried up enough to get heavier work done. I will occasionally haul firewood with the SxS in a smaller ATV trailer.

/ Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520 #18  
I was all in on the Kawi SX and the Honda 520. I decided they were a bit narrow. I wanted more stability. Plus neither had power steering.

Times 2 on the stability part. I use my SxS on the homestead - but I also take it up into the mountains a lot. I've seen how easily the narrow units (made to fit on a 50" trail roll over. So when I was looking to buy a Side by Side I bought one that was 65" wide. A trail has to be really off-camber to be a problem for my Can-am. Sure, it won't fit where a narrower unit will. But it's a trade-off. I can't fit on a narrow trail - and they don't dare follow me on a side slope. If you want to see what happens with a narrow side by side, scroll to 5:20 in this Matt's Off-Road Recovery video:

/ Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520 #19  
I ended up buying a used 2022 Honda 520. The key in my initial post was "small UTV". The 50" width suits me fine. I don't need to tow huge loads. I have a tractor set up for work in the woods for the heavier work (forestry grapple on the front, 3 Pt hitch logging winch, dump trailer, forwarding trailer with hydraulic boom/grapple.) There is no way I'll be pulling out those kinds of loads with my SxS - the empty forwarding trailer weighs more than the rated tow weight of any of these, let alone when I get 5-6000 lbs of logs on it.

The main use for this is to be able to get out there when conditions are a bit too soft for the tractor. I can run out and do the felling & limbing, then come back with the tractor and winch or forwarding trailer when things have dried up enough to get heavier work done. I will occasionally haul firewood with the SxS in a smaller ATV trailer.
Awesome. Hope you got a good deal.

I have 40 acres of woods and there are times I wish I had more dump bed capacity in my Honda 700-4.

/ Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520
The narrow vs wide decision was made long ago. For my needs, bigger is definitely no better. I'm going small/narrow which is why I was focused on the Mule SX and the Pioneer 520. I don't use this for tearing around on steep trails. I use it for lighter work when it's too wet/soft for my tractor and larger trailer. The previous owner did at 1.5" spacers on the wheels to widen things up a bit. Most of my trails are laid out and constructed to avoid steep slopes and have only gentle side slopes. THey are not bothering me, so I left them on. Our terrain is mostly rolling hills (we are on the edge of the Champlain Valley in the foothills of the Green Mountains here). Unless I'm making a run down our dead-end road to get the mail, I'm seldom over 20 MPH, and most of the time running 10-15 MPH. Having run it a bit now, even my wife and daughter see no need for power steering.

If I do need to run in rougher terrain, I have a couple of antique Coots. They are low center of gravity, 64" wide, articulated to keep all 4 wheels on the ground at all times, 4WD, and 4 Wheel steering. Will climb a 45˚ grade and handle a 45˚ side hill (I've tested both. That 45˚side hill sure felt weird, but no indication of imminent roll-over problems.) The down sides: No differentials, so they tear up the lawn a bit when turning and do not exactly turn on a dime (though the 4 wheel steering models help with that some); max 20 MPH top speed (which suits me fine for work in the woods): the only suspension is the low pressure in the tires, so you do get bounced around a good bit on rough terrain. I'd have just kept puttering around with the Coot, but my wife wanted something that was easier handling and easier to get in and out of.

I do need to get rid of one of my Coots to make some room. The basement of the shop is getting too full with all of the toys.