Kubota M9540 brakes

/ Kubota M9540 brakes #1  

Longr

Tractor
2011 m9540 kubota
Saw a message somewhere about Kubota brakes lasting the life of the tractor. I have an M9540 can tractor. Almost all work done is about hay. I had a little mishap. Rolled it over on its side. Blessed by God to come out without even a scratch. Won’t get into details. Bottom line of my post is that at the dealership they found that the brakes were completely shot. Looked at the hardware and the disks were almost clean off pass material, only a small amount on some and nothing but metal on others. The steel was warped. The tractor has 2900+ hours almost 3000. From other comments I Can’t understand how they were so worn. There is not a mechanical lock for this tractor. You put the transmission in “park” to let it sit. Would appreciate observations and insight from others out there in the trenches.

/ Kubota M9540 brakes #2  
Sounds to me like you ran it with the brakes partially engaged. Kubota's use wet multi plate brakes. I have well in the excess of 6000 hours on one of mine and 4000 on the other and never a brake disc issue but then I installed LED warning lights and micro switches on mine so if I forget to release the brakes, the light warns me.

Never seen any Kubota without a brake lock or one that has a 'Park' feature.

/ Kubota M9540 brakes
My M9540 does not have any kind of manual lock to lock the brakes on like for an emergency brake. You use the pedals to stop the tractor and then take the shift lever for 1,2,3 and 4 out of gear and push the lever up to lock the transmission for parking. If there is something I have missed let me know where it’s located and how to engage. Thanks rl

/ Kubota M9540 brakes #4  
My M7040 has a lever above the brake pedals which you pull up on as you depress the brake pedals.
You should have the both pedals locked together before using parking brake.
Make certain both pedals have same adjustment.
forum M7040 parking brake.jpg

Dave M7040

/ Kubota M9540 brakes #5  
Like I said previously, you have been driving with the brakes partially engaged. Went and looked at your model tractor and it's just like mine with the above lever to engage the parking brake. (above picture).

/ Kubota M9540 brakes #6  
M8540 & M9540 have transmission locks, not ratchet ebrakes. 7540 & lower have the conventional ratchet brakes. unless the brake linkage was way over adjusted thereby "riding" the brakes when operating, the lock must be fully released in order to shift in gear. & the brakes themselves on 85/95 are fully hydraulic.
good luck on the brake job.

/ Kubota M9540 brakes #7  
M9540 parts schematic I viewed listed a hand operated lever for a parking gear that appears independent of axle mounted brakes.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-12 075511.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-12 075511.png
    211.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Screenshot 2023-04-12 075416.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-12 075416.png
    287.7 KB · Views: 95
   / Kubota M9540 brakes #8  
Like I said previously, you have been driving with the brakes partially engaged. Went and looked at your model tractor and it's just like mine with the above lever to engage the parking brake. (above picture).
wrong. the M9540 has hyd brakes & a transmission lock that needs to be disengaged before shifting into gear. the older M9000 has the brake pedal operated conventional ratchet ebrake as well as 7040 & lower. 85&95 are different systems that require the transmission lock fully released before shifting into gear..
btw have owned both 7040 & 8540 so am aware of the different parking brake systems, best regards

Last edited:
   / Kubota M9540 brakes #10  
it is possible the linkages were adj too tight? or the operator's foot unknowingly depressing while operating? or abuse of previous owner?
btw think the M9000 was the top utility M series model prior to xx40 series. robust tractor. regards