Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,841  
"The air-cooled engine used in the original prototypes overheated in use, and was replaced in the production vehicles with a liquid-cooled Detroit 3-53 Diesel engine. Due to the high-intensity noise from the two-stroke Diesel engine, the drivers required hearing protection"

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,842  
Detroit is in MI and considered to be in the mid West...but is East of Atlanta which is in GA and considered to be in the South East...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,843  
Because when the US was expanding in the 19th century - and when many regions were initially being named - the “Midwest” was to the west of the main population centers in the “13 colony” states on the Eastern Seaboard, but not quite on the western edge of the US.

While the above statement makes sense, not sure how it correlates to the Census Map.
1680285553056.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,846  
Because when the US was expanding in the 19th century - and when many regions were initially being named - the “Midwest” was to the west of the main population centers in the “13 colony” states on the Eastern Seaboard, but not quite on the western edge of the US.

While the above statement makes sense, not sure how it correlates to the Census Map.
A better description of the different regions stems from the book "The Nine Nations Of North America" by Joel Garreau. In the 70s & 80s I had a job that entailed considerable U.S. travel, and I found that it jibes with my observations. Some of the descriptions are a bit dated (the book was written in the late 70s), but by and large most of it still applies. Worth checking out.
1680290882438.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,847  
"The air-cooled engine used in the original prototypes overheated in use, and was replaced in the production vehicles with a liquid-cooled Detroit 3-53 Diesel engine. Due to the high-intensity noise from the two-stroke Diesel engine, the drivers required hearing protection"
I can believe that, those little Jimmies were real screamers.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,848  
On virtually every continent, save for Antarctica, there is evidence of biphasic sleep among preindustrial cultures.
Two distinct blocks of sleep were called “first sleep” and “second sleep,” and the waking period in between was known as "the Watch" in English.
People were becoming increasingly time-conscious and sensitive to efficiency, but the industrial revolution intensified that attitude, until the 1920s, where an 8hr continous time for sleep became the norm.
Humans are the only mammals who routinely sleep only at night.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,849  
The Environmental Modification Convention (ENMOD), formally the Convention on the Prohibition of Military or Any Other Hostile Use of Environmental Modification Techniques is an international treaty prohibiting the military or other hostile use of environmental modification techniques having widespread, long-lasting or severe effects. It opened for signature on 18 May 1977 in Geneva and entered into force on 5 October 1978.

The convention was signed by 48 states; 16 of the signatories have not ratified. As of 2022 the convention has 78 state parties.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #3,850  
Humans are the only mammals who routinely sleep only at night.
Speak for yourself!!! :D
It's not uncommon for me to pull over for a nap during the ride home at the end of the day.
Also, on the first warm day of spring when leaves are still off the trees, the sun is beating down, and the bugs aren't out yet;
it's almost guaranteed that at lunch time I will curl up under a hemlock tree and take a nap. I've done it nearly every year since 1983. 😴