Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,721  
I think you mean the Knights of Ni!

View attachment 790106

Hands down, my favorite elective class in college was "History of Science". We started with Babylon and Mesopotamia, spent an enormous part of the course on Greece, and right up through the modern age. By the time we got to Netwon and Faraday, it felt like we were talking present-tense. It's all relative!
We want..... shrubbery!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,722  
Heh, just noticed I typed "Netwon", and spell checker didn't catch me. I meant Newton, in case anyone caught that.

Point was, anything after Rennaissance, and especially getting into the mid-1700's is "modern science", after a term spent studying scientific development between Mesopotamia and the Roman empire.

... and I still haven't forgiven the Roman Catholic church. :p

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,723  
I bet the course left out the books from the library at Alexandria, that were with the Moors and Ottomans that the Renaissance Italians "found" after defeating them in Italy. A lot of our modern science comes from these books, especially about the cosmos until the 1800's.
The Egyptians (and maybe earlier) had brain and other surgeries, as well as dental knowledge. They even had simple batteries/capacitors.
And brewed beer in a method where it had antibiotics.

And the RC church kept everyone illiterate to appease the nobility, what's wrong with that :cool:

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,724  
I bet the course left out the books from the library at Alexandria, that were with the Moors and Ottomans that the Renaissance Italians "found" after defeating them in Italy. A lot of our modern science comes from these books, especially about the cosmos until the 1800's.
The Egyptians (and maybe earlier) had brain and other surgeries, as well as dental knowledge. They even had simple batteries/capacitors.
And brewed beer in a method where it had antibiotics.

And the RC church kept everyone illiterate to appease the nobility, what's wrong with that :cool:

Garsh, fellers, does that mean that everybody today is guilty of cultural appropriation? :ROFLMAO:

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#3,725  
Significant figures. As a land surveyor sometimes I was training people that didn’t understand the concept. Say a distance is exactly 103.00 feet. You measure it to the nearest foot, that’s 103 feet. You measure it to the nearest tenth of a foot, that’s 103.0 feet. You measure to the nearest 100th of a foot, that’s 103.00 feet.

By the way, surveyors almost exclusively work in tenths and hundredths of a foot, kind of a metric foot so to speak.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,726  
Significant figures. As a land surveyor sometimes I was training people that didn’t understand the concept. Say a distance is exactly 103.00 feet. You measure it to the nearest foot, that’s 103 feet. You measure it to the nearest tenth of a foot, that’s 103.0 feet. You measure to the nearest 100th of a foot, that’s 103.00 feet.

By the way, surveyors almost exclusively work in tenths and hundredths of a foot, kind of a metric foot so to speak.
Hundredth huh? Ya mean +/- 1/8” :rolleyes:

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#3,727  
It is about an 1/8th of an inch. Level rods are also normally in 10ths and 100ths of a foot also. I was trying to read a contractors rod once that was inches. I gave up.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,728  

When I worked in the laboratory, doing analysis, it was the same. If you reported 2.5, it meant 2.4 to 2.6.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,729  
It is about an 1/8th of an inch. Level rods are also normally in 10ths and 100ths of a foot also. I was trying to read a contractors rod once that was inches. I gave up.
Extremely important if stadia hairs are being used...but never saw an instrument where the stadia was not set for decimals...(of a foot)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,730  
When I worked in the laboratory, doing analysis, it was the same. If you reported 2.5, it meant 2.4 to 2.6.
Probably meant a value in the range [2.45-2.55)
where the "[" means greater than or equal to this number and
the ")" means "less than this number"

because [2.40-2.45) is 2.4, [2.55-2.60) is 2.6.