Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,741  
There is a huge misconception over George Washington.

He was no one, till he married in to money. That money came from his wife that inherited a great deal. And she was on her second marriage to George, having been married prior to the insanely rich family of the Custis family, and George got from her, near every thing they ever owned, but mostly Martha owned it. This is the first President of the United States.
Generally true, but this is overstating the point, a bit. The Washingtons were neighbors with the Fairfax family, who were the wealthiest family in Virginia at the time. The patriarch (William) of the family took a liking to George, who had worked for him when he was very young, as George's father had already passed away and the kids were helping with the family income. Due to George's hard work and attentiveness, he earned a recommendation from Fairfax that helped land his first military appointment, an assignment that was way above what his experience would have earned him without this important neighbor's good word.

If I recall, both George and his brother married daughters of William Fairfax, but it was only due to their unique industriousness that they earned this privilege of marrying way above their station. I wouldn't say anything was handed to them. George was lucky throughout his life, but only because he worked very hard to put himself in places where that luck could happen.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,742  
According to Herodotus, one stadium was equal to 600 Greek feet (podes). However, the length of the foot varied in different parts of the Greek world, and the length of the stadion has been the subject of argument and hypothesis for hundreds of years. used in measuring the distance of a journey.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,743  
There is a huge misconception over George Washington.

He was no one, till he married in to money. That money came from his wife that inherited a great deal. And she was on her second marriage to George, having been married prior to the insanely rich family of the Custis family, and George got from her, near every thing they ever owned, but mostly Martha owned it. This is the first President of the United States.
First in peace? First in war? First in the hearts of his countrymen? Second in Martha's bed?

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#3,746  
The car chase in the movie Bullitt.

It stars Steve McQueen. The car chase is between a green 1968 Ford Mustang 390, 4 speed car. The other car is a Dodge Charger, black, 440 Magnum 4 speed car. Steve McQueen did some but not all of the driving in the Mustang. Bill Hickman, who also was stunt driver, drove the black Charger.

I could write a lot about the chase scene, I’ve read a lot about it and probably have watched it 50 times but I’ll keep it short. Steve McQueen insisted it be real, the film is not sped up. There are mistakes in it, like seeing the VW bug more than once, losing more than 4 hub caps off the Charger etc. At the end of the chase the Charger is suppose to hit a gas station and explode, it misses but you can’t really tell in the movie.

One of the original movie Mustangs cars that is documented sold at auction for $3.74 million dollars recently.

EC3CC32C-EB4E-422F-B222-A8029E0CF873.jpeg
E33D9C75-AEE9-4424-A0A4-F81F93EFE3A0.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,747  
What's next, tear down the Washington statues?:mad:

America, love it or get the he// out.
Prayer adapted from Washington’s Circular Letter to the States, which he wrote on June 8, 1783 as the commander in chief, at his headquarters in Newburgh, New York. This circular was directed to the governors and states of the new nation. His reference to them has been replaced by the words “the United States.” Otherwise, the words and the spellings are those of General George Washington of the Continental Army.

I will only post a link for those interested as I’ve come to understand there is disdain for our country and it’s founding fathers by so many.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,748  
George Washington was way ahead of his time in a lot of ways, and held back by the king in others. Which led him to be more open once the US was free from Britain's rule. He did not want the US to be ruled by the church and was very open to fighting religious persecution for all as he had to deal with this himself in his "choice" of church.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,749  
This vague description of Valley Forge comes from Washington’s own “General Orders” writings. Links are in the story for verification.

I think it’s a shame that factual history isn’t a focus in school anymore.
My grandson has been homeschooled for several years. His 1st year in high school was this year in Virginia. The councilor told his mother that his history education level was at or near Associates Degree.
My daughter had been concerned that he would fail in public school because she thought he was lazy and getting poor test scores in home schooling.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,750  
George Washington was way ahead of his time in a lot of ways, and held back by the king in others. Which led him to be more open once the US was free from Britain's rule. He did not want the US to be ruled by the church and was very open to fighting religious persecution for all as he had to deal with this himself in his "choice" of church.

Agreed. The Church of England had been corrupted. People wanted to worship God based on their own personal relationship with God, not based on the government‘s “authority” and perspective.
Oh oh, so we are not to far off the rails, I’d like to mention that ‘Tractors’ had not been invented yet! ;)