Help finding a power washer pump that isn't too expensive

/ Help finding a power washer pump that isn't too expensive #1  

r8f1k

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall 100, Allis Chalmers D14, International Super MTA, IH 560, Mahindra 4510, Gehl 4500, Clark CY45, JD 800, JD 60
I had this posted in Lawn and Garden and I received zero responses, so I am trying this forum to see if I get any traction. Looking to put a decent power washer pump on an all stainless steel, wash down 1 HP motor. It is a 56C frame, 1750 RPM 5/8" shaft, Sterling Electric motor. Very well made, I don't want to spend $400 on a pump. I have seen, in the past, similar motors with small pumps similar to those you see mounted on the back of a horizontal shaft gas engine. That seems like it would work, but I don't see anything like that anymore for sale. It doesn't have to be super high pressure, just 'good'.

/ Help finding a power washer pump that isn't too expensive #2  
I had this posted in Lawn and Garden and I received zero responses, so I am trying this forum to see if I get any traction. Looking to put a decent power washer pump on an all stainless steel, wash down 1 HP motor. It is a 56C frame, 1750 RPM 5/8" shaft, Sterling Electric motor. Very well made, I don't want to spend $400 on a pump. I have seen, in the past, similar motors with small pumps similar to those you see mounted on the back of a horizontal shaft gas engine. That seems like it would work, but I don't see anything like that anymore for sale. It doesn't have to be super high pressure, just 'good'.
The China made electric power washers have now become the main staple going forwards. The gas engine ones are just too pricey and have fallen out of favor in the market.

1678148931054.png

/ Help finding a power washer pump that isn't too expensive #3  
There are a ton on Amazon. You have to decide if you want an axial flow pump or a triplex pump and the GPM you want. I just bought one off of Amazon as a spare for my gas powered PW and it was 175 bucks delivered. It's a cheaper axial flow pump. The triplex pumps are more expensive. Most of them are direct couple so you'll need to have an adapter machined or you can go the belt drive route. All the electric ones are way too wimpy for what I need except for the AR and it ain't cheap.

/ Help finding a power washer pump that isn't too expensive #4  
I bought one on Amazn to replace a broken one on my gas power washer. Basically matched the pictures and the shaft size. A hundred, maybe two. It works fine. Took all of 5 minutes to take off the old and put on the new.
I didn't expect much for the price, but it works better than the original.

I've bought a couple of electrics, they seem made for a different job than the gas powered washers.

/ Help finding a power washer pump that isn't too expensive #5  
The issue is, a one horse electric motor won't give you much in the way of pressure or water flow. In my opinion, you need at least 5 horsepower minimum to do any real cleaning of anything and flow rate is important too. Why I won't buy a 110 volt washer like was pictured in a previous post. They might make the pressure but the flow is minimal and you need both pressure (at least 1200-1500 psi at the nozzle plus adequate flow which 'washes' the crud off efficiently. The 110 volt washers are not really capable of doing real work like cleaning farm equipment or blasting off concrete crud or cleaning decks. They will work but slowly.

/ Help finding a power washer pump that isn't too expensive #8  
Cheapo consumer duty means you will end up buying a new replacement one much sooner rather than later. You get what you pay for.

There is nothing wrong with using an electric motor. The high pressure pump is what costs the most money. Pay attention to volume (flow rate), operating pressure AND duty cycle. The better the numbers the more you have to pay. Don't ignore the flow rate.

Single phase 120VAC will be less efficient I'd go 240VAC minimum on single phase.

Last edited:
   / Help finding a power washer pump that isn't too expensive #9  
I might add that Harbor Freight has a 5 horse (Predator) powered axial flow pump pressure washer complete with rolling cart, hose, wand and 5 tips for under 300 bucks OTD.

I have one, it's 7 years old now and I did replace the pump (bought a pump on Amazon as I inferred in another post and a new hose and it's run like a top. It makes 1500 PSI at a substantial flow rate (2.5 galloons per minute) which works for equipment washdown just fine.

The supplied hose is pretty cheesy and I replaced that with a real pressure washer hose (from Amazon).

I also bought a foam cannon and foam my equipment with pressure washing detergent (I use Chemical Guys detergent) but you can use the foamer with any car wash detergent. The foamer does an excellent job of getting the dirt and mud loose and fits right on the end of the pressure washer wand. The foamer works on the same principal as a fire fighting foamer, just much smaller.

What is death on any pressure washer is allowing it to freeze. Once they freeze (with water inside, they are basically junk and the pump needs to be replaced. I keep mine in a heated shop in the winter but you can buy pressure washer antifreeze as well.

My cheapo HF unit went 7 years of equipment washdown before the pump required replacement. Not bad for under 300 bucks and the Predator motor still runs like a top and starts on the second pull consistently. I do change the oil in the pump (30 weight non detergent), every time I change the oil in the engine.

/ Help finding a power washer pump that isn't too expensive #10  
Cheapo consumer duty means you will end up buying a new replacement one much sooner rather than later. You get what you pay for.

There is nothing wrong with using an electric motor. The high pressure pump is what costs the most money. Pay attention to volume (flow rate), operating pressure AND duty cycle. The better the numbers the more you have to pay.

Single phase 120VAC will be less efficient I'd go 240VAC minimum on single phase.
7 years, I believe I did well for a cheapo HF unit.