Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,481  
Tha
I was on a trip through Oregon last week. The mills by the road had the biggest log decks I have ever seen. Not just one deck but deck after deck of logs. They had a lot of lumber too. One plywood mill had a huge number of bales of plywood stacked up and sitting in the rain. Are mills holding back to keep prices up?
That’s a rumor which people like to believe. More likely though, they were waiting for trucks. Most mills ran wide open trying to keep up with the demand, until the recent housing drop off.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,482  
$25.04 for plywood yesterday. But the plywood was not what I was used to. If it had a knot in it, the knot repeated every 6", which tells me the tree it was cut from was pretty small.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,483  
I use a forester to sell my trees to the mills. I prefer to grow them larger in diameter than most other growers, however, he's told me there is a maximum size the mills will take. 24" diameter seems to be the biggest for the plywood mills here, so not as big as it once was.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,484  
$25.04 for plywood yesterday. But the plywood was not what I was used to. If it had a knot in it, the knot repeated every 6", which tells me the tree it was cut from was pretty small.

To really appreciate the quality of wood these days, you have to have had experiences with houses and structures built like mine in the 1920's.

I had no idea wood could get so hard, or be "so old". :)

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,485  
Here's one I saw this week that hasn't come down enough to get me to buy some now.

T1-11-price.jpg

Bruce

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,486  
I just bought 2x4's at the local Ace Hardware, always much more expensive, making me drive to big box, but they were $3.48. I'll keep buying there until their prices return to not worth it.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,489  
I've completed the "have-to" projects here, and am getting to a "want-to" project, building out part of the pole barn (54x72) into a shop (28x54), with plans for a lift. 12' wall section for the lift, 10' wall for the remainder. I planned it all out and ordered the lumber, and ceiling (floor trusses) yesterday. ~$5,700. I didn't do all the math to compare the local lumber company $ to the "big box stores" (green, orange or blue), and I'm not waiting or running all over to save a little bit of $, anyway. 4x8x1/2" osb is $22.72 ea, 2x4x10 is $6.25. They'll deliver free and I always try and "shop local" anyway..

Last edited:
   / Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #1,490  
I've completed the "have-to" projects here, and am getting to a "want-to" project, building out part of the pole barn (54x72) into a shop (28x54), with plans for a lift. 12' wall section for the lift, 10' wall for the remainder. I planned it all out and ordered the lumber, and ceiling (floor trusses) yesterday. ~$5,700. I didn't do all the math to compare the local lumber company $ to the "big box stores" (green, orange or blue), and I'm not waiting or running all over to save a little bit of $, anyway. 4x8x1/2" osb is $22.72 ea, 2x4x10 is $6.25. They'll deliver free and I always try and "shop local" anyway..
It always amazes me that people will drive 40 to 50 miles to the big box store and purchase lumber there, as the local store is just pennies more. But the quality of the lumber is so much better, always less culls at the local store.