2 in the furture on friday would you buy an electric car maybe almost if its free sorta kinda thing

/ 2 in the furture on friday would you buy an electric car maybe almost if its free sorta kinda thing #21  
Lol got a pretty inexpensive 500 w foldable e-bike with a rear rack, fenders, and suspension, (sort of) for a gift last year I'll never own a strictly pedal bike again. Nor will a few diehard pedaling bike freinds that tried it out, despite getting occasional dirty looks from the "purists".
I never got the whole riding a bicycle for enjoyment thing, to me it was "last choice" means of transportation. Maybe different if I lived where it was flat. Does anyone make a comfortable seat that doesn't squish the family jewels?
Neighbor of mine bought an E-bike a couple years ago, he seems to enjoy it. Never pegged him for a bicyclist either.

/ 2 in the furture on friday would you buy an electric car maybe almost if its free sorta kinda thing #22  
Kind of a strange situation bought a old rusty abused compact Asian car to tow behind RV on a dolly, then got an e-bike never towed compact car, never bought a dolly, I use the car as my winter beater and grocery getter instead. The e bike with rack took the place of it has 25+ top speed, semi comfortable seat, 40 mile range if your not going balls to the wall. A lot of communities are bike friendly. I also pull a two wheel foldable kids ride on trailer with it when they come with or more hauling provisions are needed. I'd be happy to post some pics but may end up hijacking this thread what I'm inclined to do at times.

/ 2 in the furture on friday would you buy an electric car maybe almost if its free sorta kinda thing #23  
I would buy an electric car no question. I have an off the farm job. Office is 12.5 miles from the house. Little running around during the day. On a "bad" day I might put 100 miles on the car. If I have a 250+ mile range that would suffice for most of my needs.

If we needed to travel the wife has an ICE F150 for hauling the horses and is her daily driver. We could use that if charging stations were not available on our planned route.

Not sure I would buy a Tesla as Elmo seems to be going off the rails.

/ 2 in the furture on friday would you buy an electric car maybe almost if its free sorta kinda thing #24  
Interesting thread. The consensus seems to be no. No free electric car. We all know free isn't really free. If your neighbor gets a free electric car guess who will be paying for it. :unsure: :oops::rolleyes:

/ 2 in the furture on friday would you buy an electric car maybe almost if its free sorta kinda thing #25  
Kind of a strange situation bought a old rusty abused compact Asian car to tow behind RV on a dolly, then got an e-bike never towed compact car, never bought a dolly, I use the car as my winter beater and grocery getter instead. The e bike with rack took the place of it has 25+ top speed, semi comfortable seat, 40 mile range if your not going balls to the wall. A lot of communities are bike friendly. I also pull a two wheel foldable kids ride on trailer with it when they come with or more hauling provisions are needed. I'd be happy to post some pics but may end up hijacking this thread what I'm inclined to do at times.

I'd be interested in seeing it.

/ 2 in the furture on friday would you buy an electric car maybe almost if its free sorta kinda thing #26  
   / 2 in the furture on friday would you buy an electric car maybe almost if its free sorta kinda thing #27  
Sure I'll post some pics when I get home tonight w brief one year summary of the good and bad.

Cool! I used to love bike riding, but I've not done well for my knees, and I've definitely put on weight lol.

/ 2 in the furture on friday would you buy an electric car maybe almost if its free sorta kinda thing #28  
I don't know if these are just propoganda youtubes, but I'm watching many real world testing vids that are saying that electric charging is more expensive then gas or diesel. I'd get one if i could figure out how to repurpose 20 solar panels. :)
As I understand it, right now if you charge at commercial chargers in areas with high electric rates, it is more expensive than gas. Most areas, not as expensive. If you look at electric rates for parts of Europe, you can understand why electric might not work out economically unless gas is taxed through the roof.

/ 2 in the furture on friday would you buy an electric car maybe almost if its free sorta kinda thing #29  
I think someone (government / academics / others) need to be honest and come clean with us PUBLICLY.

I be thinking electric cars are not about being less expensive they are about something else like maybe like:

- less CO2
- transition to something new creates more jobs / economic activity
- creates more wealth / opportunity for industrial countries and businesses over less developed
- helps put advanced economies more ahead / leg up over less developed economies (the new cold war??)
- etc...

focusing on being more green / convenient / cheaper maybe not the real reason???

I'm too dumb to know BUT me thinks there are REAL reasons as well as those that we regularly hear about.

/ 2 in the furture on friday would you buy an electric car maybe almost if its free sorta kinda thing #30  
I think someone (government / academics / others) need to be honest and come clean with us PUBLICLY.
Do you really think that's gonna happen after all we've seen and heard from the bureaucracy !? Please.
It's up to us to figure out when they are BSing us and when they are not. The old joke > How can you tell when a politician is lying? = His lips are moving. Applies

Last edited: