Old Window Greenhouse

/ Old Window Greenhouse #21  
You can get some nice kits, depending on budget. The polycarbonate somebody suggested above better than glass in a lot of ways. It insulates better and is easy to work with. There's a reason why you don't see commercial greenhouses using glass anymore.

Having said that I have (6) 4x6 foot glass panels from old storefront windows I plan to use for a greenhouse. They are heavier than window glass, and they were free.

/ Old Window Greenhouse
The free part is a big deal. So far, all the window are free and I bought most of the corrugated clear roofing on sale already. Lumber prices are not as bad as they were either.
It will be 10x12 and I do plan on making the overhangs for the roof more than a foot. Probably go 24" on center for the rafters but use 2x6. Have not decided yet how many windows I want to put on hinges for ventilation. I have even considered putting the roof on hinges since it will just be shed style. Maybe 8' tall on front and 6'6" on the back side.
She did want the windows all spaced out randomly but I think I have her talked out of that. Just a pain to frame that in an then finish it our nice.

/ Old Window Greenhouse #23  
The free part is a big deal. So far, all the window are free and I bought most of the corrugated clear roofing on sale already. Lumber prices are not as bad as they were either.
Following this thread with some interest since I'm thinking of building a small greenhouse without breaking the bank. Lotsa good ideas here.
How does that clear corrugated roofing stand up? I ask because a neighbor used some on a porch roof...one hailstorm and it was full of holes...and the hail we get here in northern New England is pretty wimpy compared to what you midwesterners get. Also wondering about how it stands up to UV exposure or freeze/thaw cycles.

/ Old Window Greenhouse #24  

Attachments

• raised bed hoops.jpg
    raised bed hoops.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 74
   / Old Window Greenhouse #25  
Following this thread with some interest since I'm thinking of building a small greenhouse without breaking the bank. Lotsa good ideas here.
How does that clear corrugated roofing stand up? I ask because a neighbor used some on a porch roof...one hailstorm and it was full of holes...and the hail we get here in northern New England is pretty wimpy compared to what you midwesterners get. Also wondering about how it stands up to UV exposure or freeze/thaw cycles.
Since you name issues that concern you we can address those and after we know exactly what op's are, we can address his challenges. I have never used transparent roofing because (A) As you point out even moderate hail will destroy most conventional transparent material. (B) It's unnecessary for a small greenhouse. During months greenhouses are in use the sun is in Southern sky with sufficient light entering vertical transparent walls. As location move's North angle of sunlight entering window changes so to lay out footprint,temporarly set a 2x4 horizontally at 8' from ground to see where shadow falls on ground. That tells you how deep the house can be. We will use 10 feet. If anything blocks morning or afternoon sun adjust orientation of South wall to maximize sun exposure at apposite horizon. 10 deep x 8 feet wide x 8 feet tall South wall should be enough space for all but serious growers. Transparent material isn't necessary in East and/or West wall but 1 or 2 feet is enough to realize 90% of what entire wall would increase available light. You can reach to tend shelves from floor to 6' on South wall and 2' tall shelves on Nort wall will receive full sun or taller shelves mid way receive a good amount. Metal or composition roof with a little overhang will offer protection for transparent material. Despite name of structure,do not use green transparent panels,they won't work.

/ Old Window Greenhouse
I also have an app called the Sunapp. Its free and gives you year-round sun locations and times.

/ Old Window Greenhouse #27  
I built a lean-to type of greenhouse off of a shed. I used reclaimed patio slider thermal pane door panels. They were free and will hold a snow load in the winter.

/ Old Window Greenhouse #28  
We did a solar greenhouse at the last place. It had 10 patio door glasses @ 60 degrees on the face of it. I built that frame out of scrap 3" channel in kind of an A frame from the side view. Had garden beds inside, even did aquaponics. Trimmed the outside of the glass so it looked nice. Some of the glass had gotten cloudy as time went on. Still worked well. Polycarb can be expensive, but can also make things a lot simpler.

/ Old Window Greenhouse #29  
I got 8+ old doublehung windows with external storm window if anyone wants them.

/ Old Window Greenhouse
The foundation is almost complete. Just have to glue the last sill boards down. I had to wait on a "go" from the wife on the door location. I also have a start on the front wall, which will be the tallest and have the door in it. My plan is to build the front and back walls first and stand them up. Then, build the roof on. I'm not going to permanently screw the windows in until the entire structure is up and painted. The wife is going to have to scrap and paint all of them before they go in anyway. I am also going to prime all of the boards with Kilz before I even screw them together and do the finish painting while its standing. I will start taking progress pictures and posting.