12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!!

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #221  
Carmax has a refurb/ rehab shop across the street from my work. Vehicles go there before being distributed to the individual lots. After witnessing the condition of the vehicles going into that shop and what those idiots do on a regular basis with those vehicles.....

Yeah, I won't be purchasing anything from them, period.

Majority of vehicles before going through the shop resemble thrashed out, low end auction vehicles. Body damage, wrecked front ends, or rear ends. They then have wannabe street racers ragging the vehicles out further thrashing them up and down the road, just flogging the hell out of them.

There drivers have put several cars through our fence, as well as the fence across the street.
Yeah, NEVER buy a car or truck from Carmax or similar dealers. My son is an ASE mechanic, works for a nationwide "mobile mechanic" company. Most of those vehicles are "warrantied by third party" companies. The dealers do the bare minimum in prep before selling the vehicles, letting the warranty company to take the hit.
He has gone out to jobs that he couldn't believe how they tried to 'fix' the issues before the sale. He says about a 50/50 crap shoot to get a good vehicle. He says a lot of the customers return the vehicle when they find out how bad they are.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #222  
Yeah, NEVER buy a car or truck from Carmax or similar dealers. My son is an ASE mechanic, works for a nationwide "mobile mechanic" company. Most of those vehicles are "warrantied by third party" companies. The dealers do the bare minimum in prep before selling the vehicles, letting the warranty company to take the hit.
He has gone out to jobs that he couldn't believe how they tried to 'fix' the issues before the sale. He says about a 50/50 crap shoot to get a good vehicle. He says a lot of the customers return the vehicle when they find out how bad they are.
Had a former employee who purchased a vehicle from carmax. Guy was an idiot and was not very good with his money. Was on the weekly payment plan.

He purchased the same truck from carmax 3 separate times. He would purchase the truck. Make a couple of months' worth of payments. Then, quit paying for a few weeks, and they would come for his truck.

He would then get a bunch of money together and buy the truck back again for the same terms. Plus, finance more tax, tag, and title

The third time around was when we told him he was a bloody idiot and explained that he just needed to get caught up with his payments. It takes more than a few weeks missed payments for them to go through the courts to repo the truck.

As quick as they were coming for the truck, if he had pressed the issue with the police, someone from that carmax dealer would have ended up in jail.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #223  
Any of those "Buy here, Pay here" places is merely preying on people with poor money management. Years ago there was a truck I was interested in. I wasn't going to finance through them but it looked clean and was just what I was looking for. They were asking more than list price of a brand new truck at the local dealership.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #224  
Carmax isn't the only one doing that type of stuff so to isolate it to them is a little unfair. It's the entire industry really.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #225  
Q - What's the difference between a used car salesman and a catfish?

A - One is a scum sucking bottom dweller and the other is a fish.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #226  

This is a family owned business that makes their money on repeat customers. I'm sure there are many reputable dealers out there who operate the same way. The trick is to find one.
That sounds like a great company to support.

I don't think I mentioned this earlier in this discussion, but a few months ago I read an article about car prices which was discussing the StealerShips charging huge sums over the MSRP. One family owned dealership was NOT charging over the MSRP because it was wrong and they depended on repeat customers. Customers in their area would remember that the dealership was gouging people when it was time to get a vehicle.

A month or so back, I was traveling and heard a commercial for a dealership that was no longer charging over MSRP. :unsure: If I lived in that area, I would remember that dealership and not do business with them in the future.

It amazes me that some politicians call for wind fall profit taxes on energy companies but not car companies....

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #227  
My daily driver is a 2002 Chevy crew cab, was a rental out of Canada when purchased with around 34,000 miles on it. Never had a payment, other than paying cash for the used vehicle.

Its on its second 6.0 liter engine (400,000 + miles), replaced some instrument panel wirings, soldered the 4 wheel drive switch as it got a cold solder joint. It rides nice and gets the good gas mileage that all those 6.0 Chevys get (13 mpg). Preventative maintenance goes a long ways in helping prevent "unexpected breakdowns". I expect this truck to be the last truck I own.

My daily driver prior to it was a 65 Ford F250 with over 500,000 miles on it.

My next truck will have to be on the other side of life!
Thats impressive!
I wouldn’t mind listening to you list what your concept of preventative maintenance is, because it sure seems to be working for you. (y)

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #228  
Thats impressive!
I wouldn’t mind listening to you list what your concept of preventative maintenance is, because it sure seems to be working for you. (y)
My followup question would be, do you have a lift? I surely would, if I did that kind of maintenance.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #229  
probably things like changing u-joints before they fail, grease, keeping up on suspension components.

My dodge has 300K, my lexsus made 341K before i gave up on it. my old dodge has 400K+ before the cab rusted too badly.

Older trucks, especially 2wd dont have much to wear. Oh and never buy automatics if you plan on keeping them. Changing a clutch is much easier than rebuilding an auto. and yes, i have done both

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #230  
probably things like changing u-joints before they fail, grease, keeping up on suspension components.

My dodge has 300K, my lexsus made 341K before i gave up on it. my old dodge has 400K+ before the cab rusted too badly.

Older trucks, especially 2wd dont have much to wear. Oh and never buy automatics if you plan on keeping them. Changing a clutch is much easier than rebuilding an auto. and yes, i have done both
As I said before,\ one of my Dakotas needed u-joints every 4000 miles... at the time that was a month of driving. I was working 7 days/week, it didn't leave much time for maintenance. When I finally looked at it myself and determined what was wrong, I knew that I had to drop the drive shaft to grease it. I got rid of the truck instead.