Grapple ideas and how are these companies?

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #31  
I would look at a frostbite, light compact platform which is more user friendly and just as capable as a large grapple.

I have an EA grapple, disk, rake, toolbar and odds and ends but I'll never due business with Ted again over his policy on employees and shot

Thanks for the heads up I won't either!

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #32  
I have an EA dual lid long tine grapple. I use it for moving logs and brush. I think it's a good compromise if you move things other than logs.

With heavy logs I have noticed that the long tines can sometimes make it so the loader can't curl the log up. I can pick up the log but can't curl it. So I carry it with the grapple pointed down.

I think the loader capacity of the L3901 is a bit lower than my Branson. I cut my logs to 8' since I'm turning them into firewood and the shorter log is easier to move in tight spaces. But even with 8' logs I find that a 2' diameter hardwood log is getting close to the tractor's limit. If your logs are much over 2' you might not be able to pick them up.

You'll also want significant ballast on the back. With loaded rear tires and a 550 lb box blade the rear of my Branson still gets light when the loader is nearing capacity. I think L3901s weight a lot less than the Branson and would need more ballast.

I use the grapple a lot, to the point that I only put the pallet forks on when I need to move a firewood tote and only put the bucket on when moving dirt. It wasn't cheap but it's been worth it.

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #33  
I bought a Construction Attachments Inc grapple for my skid steer, I don't think there is a better made grapple out there. Downside is its expensive with about six week lead time. I bought this one because I wanted something my T870 couldn't tear up. I really like it, very sturdy build, large cylinder, grease points everywhere it can use them.

Attachments

• 20221006_163859.jpg
    20221006_163859.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 122
  • 20221011_175307.jpg
    20221011_175307.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 124
   / Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #34  
Also look at MTL Attachments. I have one of their single lid grapples. Very well built at a competitive price.
One thing to look for in a grapple is whether the pivot points are greaseable. Some of the cheaper ones are not.

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #35  
I would look at a frostbite, light compact platform which is more user friendly and just as capable as a large grapple.

I have an EA grapple, disk, rake, toolbar and odds and ends but I'll never due business with Ted again over his policy on employees and shots.
I agree, I was getting ready to order a few things when they pulled the forced jab stunt. I already didn't care for his bashing other companies products on every forum he could find but the forced jab thing sealed their fate with me.

Still hammering that MTL grapple he told me was junk and wouldn't last. Haven't had an issue yet.

Too many other great companies out there that aren't clowns.

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #36  
Also look at MTL Attachments. I have one of their single lid grapples. Very well built at a competitive price.
One thing to look for in a grapple is whether the pivot points are greaseable. Some of the cheaper ones are not.
Agreed, mine has been fantastic. No issues in 3 years of heavy use.

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #37  
Your loader does not have much lift capacity. Think about that when looking at options.

Not a problem with brush but logs can get heavy. A 16" 12 foot long oak will weigh about 1000 lbs. Your loader can lift about 1200 lbs.

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #38  
I got a Virnig 54 on a B2301. I have moved quite a few logs and brush piles with good results. Wanted the EA 55 but couldnt wait.
Looks from pic you have a V30 URG54 grapple. How is your B2301 handling the 250 lb grapple and how are you ballasting the back end? I am looking at the same grapple or 60" (300 lb) and appreciate your firsthand experience. Thank you.

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #39  
Looks from pic you have a V30 URG54 grapple. How is your B2301 handling the 250 lb grapple and how are you ballasting the back end? I am looking at the same grapple or 60" (300 lb) and appreciate your firsthand experience. Thank you.
I would not expect you tractor to be very usefull with a grapple weighing almost half its lifting capacity at 19in away from the pin. With a 12"x8' piece of pine your only 50lbs under capacity.

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #40  
Well, it depends what you're trying to do. If you're trying to load something heavy over the side of a dump trailer it's going to be pathetic. If you are trying to hold something a little above waist height for chainsaw work, or place on an open deck trailer etc, a 1025r could still lift a fairly heavy object to that height even with a 250lb grapple on it. I snipped this from TractorData:

1675960805754.png

Figure a grapple can hold 'a log' closer to the pins than a bucket can, so you're looking at something between the (at pin) and (at 500mm) numbers. My comfortable chainsaw height is less than 1.5M so you're looking at something between the breakout (ground level) and 1.5m numbers. So to lift a log say 3-4ft off the ground in the grapple, you'd have probably around 1000lbs to play with even considering the grapple weight. My Kubota BF300 loader has a very similar lift to full height spec and i've lifted almost 1200lbs (not counting the bucket!) to unload from a truck bed, for example.