Security camera from old smart phone/phones

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #12  
Advice: webcams get hacked, stick with something where reviews say the mfr sends security updates. Lots of stories online about indoor cams recorded by strangers, to post elsewhere. My cams with unknown security are outside only!
How do webcams get hacked? Are you saying someone can hack the router and access it locally?

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #13  
Man, i have not gotten to the point in my life where i need cameras in house, car or outdoors. Hope i never get to that point.
I hope you don't either. I travel for work so my reasons are security and peace of mind for my wife. They are also handy for keeping up with the dog sitter when we are gone. Or if I'm back on the farm and someone pulls in my yard or down my drive. A quick glance tells me who it is.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #14  
How do webcams get hacked? Are you saying someone can hack the router and access it locally?
Don't know. Worst I've read was 'Santa Claus' terrifying a little girl speaking from the baby monitor in her room while she changed for bed.

Researching Arlo I saw criticism of security holes kept secret, not fixed.

Maybe Google 'webcam security incidents'.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #15  
Not much chance of my stuff getting hacked. I would think anyone with the knowhow to hack something would be smart enough not to waste their time hacking me. I was just curious anyway.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #16  
I bought the Wyze to see wth was under the house sounding like it was chewing its way up into the walls at 3am.

The Wyze identified the cause. Mr racoon frequently scrapes the tasty bugs out of the spiderwebs, raking the joists with his claws. This was alarming before we understood the cause. Still a nuisance to be awakened by this!

Those same critters I described on the deck also pass in view under the house.

Like I said, we seem to have become the neighborhood zoo. I think caused by neighbors all around ripping out their apple orchards and planting sterile vineyards.
D03F271F3518_1650430594073.jpg

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones
+1. Unless you just want to embark on a science project get some cameras. One of the best things I ever bought. Except my wife knows if I'm working or in the La-Z-Boy chair.
One of the last things I need right now is another project. That La-Z-Boy sounds good.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones
I bought the Wyze to see wth was under the house sounding like it was chewing its way up into the walls at 3am.

The Wyze identified the cause. Mr racoon frequently scrapes the tasty bugs out of the spiderwebs, raking the joists with his claws. This was alarming before we understood the cause. Still a nuisance to be awakened by this!

Those same critters I described on the deck also pass in view under the house.

Like I said, we seem to have become the neighborhood zoo. I think caused by neighbors all around ripping out their apple orchards and planting sterile vineyards.View attachment 782903
California,
Is that a pet raccoon? It looks like it's deciding whether that's the knob and tube wiring it saw on This Old House. The house I grew up in still has that type of wiring. I think it was put in for the old Delco Light Plant before the REA came in. Yours looks to be in showcase condition.

/ Security camera from old smart phone/phones #20  
One concern with an old phone for a camera is you need to open your home router to world access to see it from elsewhere, to oversimplify a little.

There really are hackers out there running continuous searches across the entire internet looking for insecure routers to get into. Study that aspect and the security needed before moving ahead using that.