Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #221  
Ive noticed a lot of postings that are confusing personal license and vehicle use with commercial cdl vehicle use.

There us a zero tolerance policy for alcohol in commercial vehicles. Doesn’t matter what limit you are under.

Another is get your cdl and borrow someones truck when you need it. Your personal vehicle policy probably wont cover you in a commercial vehicle. For his insurance to cover you he would have to list you on his policy and the insurance company would have to approve you. Plus he would have to pay premiums for you.

Some think that they have never been pulled over so its ok. In our state the dot are the only ones really qualified to handle commercial vehicle infractions. The state police, sheriffs dept. and local police will get you for the standard traffic violations only.
My brother in law went 25 years before a dot got behind him one day. His 3/4 ton pickup and 16’ trailer almost got towed.

Unfortunately when it comes to farm use most states have their own rules to make it more confusing.
Thanks for the post. To be clear, No one is saying anything about drinking and driving. We are saying getting a ticket for weight “rating” is like getting a DUI for buying alcohol but not drinking it, or having a Porsche driving it 55 and getting a ticket for speeding since it has a limit of 186mph.

I think the heartburn here is that many of us buy something that has more capacity then we need to ensure longevity and margin of error. My trailer is 18K GVWR. I didn’t buy a dual 7k axle trailer since if I load my tractor on it with any implements I am either right at max or right above depending on the implement. But I will never go down the road at 26001, and if an ever did, give me a ticket. But I have a 1 ton and trailer of 18k so I am not pushing any limit.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #222  
And don’t kid yourself about CDL fines, either. Anything you do wrong while operating a CDL vehicle carries a more substantial fine than a non CDL vehicle.

I got a seat belt violation and it was $135. Standard vehicle was like $80.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #223  
Thanks for the post. To be clear, No one is saying anything about drinking and driving. We are saying getting a ticket for weight “rating” is like getting a DUI for buying alcohol but not drinking it, or having a Porsche driving it 55 and getting a ticket for speeding since it has a limit of 186mph.

I think the heartburn here is that many of us buy something that has more capacity then we need to ensure longevity and margin of error. My trailer is 18K GVWR. I didn’t buy a dual 7k axle trailer since if I load my tractor on it with any implements I am either right at max or right above depending on the implement. But I will never go down the road at 26001, and if an ever did, give me a ticket. But I have a 1 ton and trailer of 18k so I am not pushing any limit.
So your 1 ton has a GVWR of less than 8K?

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #224  
So your 1 ton has a GVWR of less than 8K?
No it does not. Def more than 8k. What i am saying is that I will not carry a load that makes me 26001 or more. By rating my 1 ton GCWR is 25,300, GVWR IS 11,700, towing max is 17,800 and my trailer GVWR is 18k.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #225  
So the GCVWR of truck and trailer is 29,700. Its been many years since I took math in school but I think 29,700 is greater than 26,000. Many states go by GCVWR not actual weight and would require a CDL to operate your truck/trailer.

Last edited:
   / Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #226  
So the GCVWR of truck and trailer is 29,700. Its been many years since I took math in school but I think 29,700 is greater than 26,000. Many states go by GCVWR not actual weight and would require a CDL to operate your truck/trailer.
Lol, yes I know… and it is about $5000 to get a CDL now, in any state. And I will have sit in training and learn about equipment I will never use or even have a license to operate. Welcome to the thread.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #227  
I just pulled this from the Ohio BMV. So does this mean there's no need for a cdl in Ohio with a 3/4 ton? I borrow a friend of mines tandem dual gooseneck (18,000 gvw?) with my 2018 Ram 2500 who's gvw is 10,000 lbs?
The combined GVWR is 28k so you need a CDL or in Texas, a Non-CDL Class A if for personal use only.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #228  
No it does not. Def more than 8k. What i am saying is that I will not carry a load that makes me 26001 or more. By rating my 1 ton GCWR is 25,300, GVWR IS 11,700, towing max is 17,800 and my trailer GVWR is 18k.
Don't confuse GCWR (Ford was the only one that use to put this on their trucks) with GVWR. The GCWR is what the manufacture says the truck is rated for when in combination. The law in almost every State is based off of GVWR or actual weight of the truck and trailer whichever is highest (They mirror the Federal Law). PA, as far as I know, use to use GCWR and I think they had to back away from this after their driver's were placed out of service in other States for operating out of class.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #229  
I’m talking about for full time farming, like myself.
On edit: even then, I’m not buying any new tractors, but some new attachments.
I'd consider what I do more of a life style choice since I spend 12-14 hours a day out there. This time of the year repairing field damage, moving the animals to new paddocks and training etc. Others would consider that a full time plus job.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #230  
I'd consider what I do more of a life style choice since I spend 12-14 hours a day out there. This time of the year repairing field damage, moving the animals to new paddocks and training etc. Others would consider that a full time plus job.
So, if you aren’t doing what you’re doing to make a living from it. I think lifestyle choice is an accurate description.