Thinking of financing a mx54

/ Thinking of financing a mx54
Can the top n tilt be used off of one of the two rear remotes? If both remotes are needed a manual top link can be easily installed temporarily so long as there are quick disconnect lines.

This way top n tilt and a rear remote could be combined and save $1,000. I don't see any application where I would want both rear remotes and the top n tilt.

/ Thinking of financing a mx54 #12  
I bought a MX6000 HST exactly a year ago for about the same price. I bought the dames size/weight trailer this week for about the same price. Prices have increased somewhat over the past year, so I think your quotes are in line. I would consider HST though. The MX is an outstanding tractor model that I’m sure you will love. Get the rear tires filled. I would get the standard bucket and put the savings toward pallet forks.

Awesome thanks, I will check with one more dealer on prices but it seems like the price is right.

I am sure the MX is a outstanding tractor. I am anxious to get to the dealer and drive one!

I already have pallet forks - though I am wanting to add a thumb to them to have a cheap grapple.

I do have concerns about the HST transmissions long term reliability. I would like to be able to get 10,000 hours out of this machine with minimal repairs. Is the HST up to that task? How does it compare to a good old fashioned gear transmission in that regard?(I realize that this is a ongoing debate that has been discussed many times)

Last edited:
   / Thinking of financing a mx54 #14  
I do have concerns about the HST transmissions long term reliability. I would like to be able to get 10,000 hours out of this machine with minimal repairs. Is the HST up to that task? How does it compare to a good old fashioned gear transmission in that regard?
Personally, I've had more trouble with geared tractors than HST's. I've owned 7 Kubota tractors since 1979. All but one were HST's. I never had any HST trouble but I did have to replace the clutch in the gear machine. I've never put 10,000 hours on any though.

/ Thinking of financing a mx54 #15  
HST transmissions are super reliable, easily going several thousand hours without any repairs on most modern machines. Just change the hydro fluid on time. 10,000 hours? That would take most of us more than a lifetime. I would be looking into industrial backhoe machines if you really want to run 10,000 hours....

Regarding your top and tilt - yes you can just plan to run it off the rear remotes. But this will use 2 remotes to run. Hence why adding a third remote is kind of handy, in case you need one more hydraulic circuit for anything. But most people get by with 2 just fine, because as you say, you can replace the normal top and side links with mechanical versions if you need to free up the remotes for anything else.

/ Thinking of financing a mx54 #16  
10k hours. I've bought lifetime machines before. I'm still alive and none of them are here. I usually tire of them in about 10-15 yrs.
It's nice to tell yourself that when you buy but it rarely pans out... depending upon your age of course. The older you get the better the HST is

Thanks for the last comment about HST being better as you get older.... I am 36. One of the best things about the HST is that my wife will be able to easily use the tractor. She has very little experience driving a stick shift or a tractor... Part of me is sad to give up the gear drive. It would have been really nice to have her take a bale to the cows yesterday while I was at work. now it is freezing rain and the cows are out...

One thing I do not like about the HST is having to hold the dang pedal down when driving long distances. I see that some have options for a cruise control.

/ Thinking of financing a mx54 #18  
My MX HST has cruise control. It's a hand control that holds the pedal down. The bad part is (I believe) it does not come off unless you pull the lever back, so could be fiddly in a panic stop unlike the CC in your car.
The HST is superior when working in tight areas or for precision work like loading unloading. I recently changed my forklift from a stick to an auto. Big difference in how well the machine fits my use. Sounds like the choice is getting obvious.

GL with the purchase

Last edited:
   / Thinking of financing a mx54 #19  
had an MX5000 gear back when, outstanding machine for it's size. good luck w/purchase, sorry you have to negotiate such a high sticker price. but like real estate, it's nature of the times. best of luck on the purchase, & great you are so young & your wife is interested in using the tractor as well
good holidays,

/ Thinking of financing a mx54 #20  
Awesome thanks, I will check with one more dealer on prices but it seems like the price is right.

I am sure the MX is a outstanding tractor. I am anxious to get to the dealer and drive one!

I already have pallet forks - though I am wanting to add a thumb to them to have a cheap grapple.

I do have concerns about the HST transmissions long term reliability. I would like to be able to get 10,000 hours out of this machine with minimal repairs. Is the HST up to that task? How does it compare to a good old fashioned gear transmission in that regard?(I realize that this is a ongoing debate that has been discussed many times)
You will go through 1 or 2 clutches in 10k hours with a need to split the tractor. Most HST are pretty trouble free so long as you keep up with filter/fluid changes and use the recommended OEM fluid.