How agriculture works thread

/ How agriculture works thread #761  
No one does that here anymore. Just chiseled.
Minimal verticle tillage here. Even chisels are rarely used.

/ How agriculture works thread
Mitch in the red river valley (ND) did a really good video about harvesting and processing of sugar beets. I've not been around these so it was interesting to me and American crystal sugar corporation is a farmer owned cooperative.

Last edited:
   / How agriculture works thread #766  
John Deere 8RX 370 with a 9 shank ripper going 2 ft deep uphill and down hill.

/ How agriculture works thread #767  
Sugar beets used to be a big crop here, years ago but not now.
I believe they're still fairly big in the Sebewaing area. I remember when we were kids, we'd run around picking up sugar beets that would fall off the trucks. I don't know why but we thought it was a lot of fun.

/ How agriculture works thread #768  
I believe they're still fairly big in the Sebewaing area. I remember when we were kids, we'd run around picking up sugar beets that would fall off the trucks. I don't know why but we thought it was a lot of fun.
That is correct but not down this way. Used to be until the cooker' closed in Findlay, Ohio. It's not transportation efficient to haul them up to mid Michigan. Sugar beets were a big crop here at one time. All gone now, replaced with cabbage and truck crops. Big cabbage here and getting bigger. Local farmers are double cropping it actually.

This used to be a big sauce tomato area as well but that is petering out as well due to transportation costs. Nearest large processor of sauce tomatoes is Red Gold in west central Indiana. There is a small cooker just south of Toledo but they have limited capacity. With on road diesel at over 5 bucks a gallon, everyone, including myself is cost conscious. Wile I burn off road (no highway use tax) diesel, it's still expensive. Typically around here abiut 50 cents under pump price for on road.

Cabbage is an interesting truck crop. The big growers here have built their own processing facilities (there is one down the road from me). Basically what they do is, the migrants pick them, they go in large skidded cardboard 'gaylords' and then off to the processing facility where they cool the heads down to 34 degrees and extract most of the moisture with a vacuum process. Then they go into a huge cooler and are shipped out on refrigerated tractor trailer to where I have no idea but it's a steady stream of trucks, day and night. That is a helluva lot of cabbage going out.

Most of the drivers are of the 90 day wonder drivers, I've watched them attempt to back up to the loading docks. Try and fail and the docks are a nice straight shot too.

My buddy that manages the seed farm is across the road from it so I can sit and watch the spectacle. He lives on the property but don't own it.

I make my own sauerkraut bit I quit growing my own cabbage years ago. it's basically free for the taking around here, green and purple.

/ How agriculture works thread #769  
When I get some time, I'll take some pictures of his equipment and the operation from the outside as they won't allow inside pictures. You want to talk about huge equipment they have it. Most of their tractors are tracked machines of the green flavor and certainly 'nose bleed' in height.

/ How agriculture works thread
Cole in Iowa doing beans and breaking things. This is how farming goes. I do like his videos.