How agriculture works thread

/ How agriculture works thread #741  
That picture shows what I am trying to say. Where are the trees and hills?
I don't understand your question about 'where are the hills'? They're cutting on the hills, i the video.

Kind of an interesting, to me anyway, is that most of that soil was laid down in the floods that took place when ice dams would break and wash it all down thru to that area. It would have been interesting to see, but not experience floods of that magatude.

/ How agriculture works thread #742  
I don't understand your question about 'where are the hills'? They're cutting on the hills, i the video.

Kind of an interesting, to me anyway, is that most of that soil was laid down in the floods that took place when ice dams would break and wash it all down thru to that area. It would have been interesting to see, but not experience floods of that magatude.
I don't believe that I've ever seen a field which didn't have something visible on the other side; if not a hill, then a house or tree line. For fun, I just looked at an aerial view of Aroostook County north of me, which is our largest and flattest county. There were a couple of fields which measured a mile one way yet there was always a road, tree line, brook, on the edge.

/ How agriculture works thread
This fellow is combing corn in southern MI and using a link with the grain cart tow tractor to control its position and speed to properly fill it. Never seen this done before. Its a long video but he speaks about all the things that went into his high yields.

Last edited:
   / How agriculture works thread #744  
My neighbor ..lol

Wish I could do some drone video's of my other neighbor, M&W Seeds. They have a huge seed corn operation but they won't allow me to video them. I can take some still pictures of their main plant and bins as well as the shelling operation (seed corn is harvested on the cob and then trucked to the drying and shelling plant where it is removed from the cobs, dried and stored in grain bins by variety). The it's conveyed to the packaging operation where it's either put in Supersacks or in 50 pound bags, stitch sealed and tagged with the type and maturity date. It's all automated btw.

Talk about grain bins, M&W has a double row of grain bins (tanks) about 1/2 mile long and loading them is also all computer controlled. Takes like 3 employees to run the entire shelling, drying and filling operations.

All the stripped cobs get recycled as animal feed and bedding. Nothing is wasted.

Glad I don't pay their NG bill. Consumers energy ran a 10" pipe from the nearest town out the their farm The dryers are huge and so are the burners.

How I get my off grade seed corn to burn in my biomass stoves. If a batch of corn won't 'germ' at 95% or better, it cannot be sold, so I get it. Have a never ending supply of off grade seed corn to roast.

Quite an operation and the also harvest soy beans for seed but mostly corn.

Won't burn off grade no germ soybeans, being an oil seed, it burns way too hot for a biomass stove.

We have a generator here at this farm as well but only for emergency backup. it's a 30KW diesel powered unit and it's plumbed into my bulk storage tank.

Have to take some pictures, they are just getting into taking off seed corn right now.

/ How agriculture works thread #745  
Additionally, the price of seed corn is going up like inflation. Last year the average per sack was between 175 and 250 (depending on variety). This tear, $250 is the low end.

I tease my friends and tell them I have the most expensive corn burners anywhere. I can burn 2 50 pound bags a day if I push it hard and want to be really warm.

/ How agriculture works thread #746  
Additionally, the price of seed corn is going up like inflation. Last year the average per sack was between 175 and 250 (depending on variety). This tear, $250 is the low end.

I tease my friends and tell them I have the most expensive corn burners anywhere. I can burn 2 50 pound bags a day if I push it hard and want to be really warm.
You need to start a thread!!!

/ How agriculture works thread #747  

I can remember selling (well trying to sell) Dekalb & Funk‘s seed corn in 1983. $35-$40 a bag IIRC. I wasn’t much of a seed salesman but I did get the green and red windbreakers and a few free rubber chicken & green bean dinners. 😀