How agriculture works thread

/ How agriculture works thread
Harvesting beans in SW Wisconsin. These guys are in and close to driftless country and when we see steep hills, that is where the glacier missed.

/ How agriculture works thread #772  
Now this is the way to come to town for a Coke and check your mail. 😀.

Peanuts are about all picked and cotton picking is in full swing now. Our little town is in its annual haze of airborne dust and lint from the cotton gin. Roadsides are littered with cotton that blows off the module trucks. But not nearly as much as when they used open top trailers decades ago. Modules and round bales are hauled in them now.
1666639753401.jpeg

Last edited:
   / How agriculture works thread #773  
Cotton picking has a long way to go - only six rows at a time.

/ How agriculture works thread #774  
Cotton picking has a long way to go - only six rows at a time.
And they go pretty slow in the field to boot. Not all farming is done in hundreds to thousand acre fields with few obstructions like in the west and mid-west. 😀

Last edited:
   / How agriculture works thread
The Welker farm in Montana is breaking up some CRP ground that hadn't been tilled in 30 years. They are using their BIG Bud 525 towing a 50ft chisel plow. Then they picked up rock in his side-by-side.

/ How agriculture works thread #778  
Deer hunting gun season opens tomorrow here in Missouri. My friends are avid hunters. They've had a very good harvest this Fall. Crop yields are good. Weather has been almost perfect. They are on track to finish before Thanksgiving. First time ever for them. They planted 18,000 acres of corn and soy beans this year. They have 1,500 acres left.

So they parked their equipment last night. Gave the crew today (friday) and the weekend off to hunt. They plan to give them next weekend off as well.

20221111_082340.jpg

20221111_082453.jpg

/ How agriculture works thread #780  
I cringe looking at that and thinking how much in diesel they spend.
I cringe looking at that and thinking how much in diesel they spend.
They contract their fuel in December. Last year I was in the office when they contracted red fuel. 250,000 gallons at $2.43 p/gallon. Curious to see what they have to pay this year.