Wood BBX72 Brush Bull Xtreme not up to the task............

/ Wood BBX72 Brush Bull Xtreme not up to the task............ #51  
LD1,
I agree with your post and would add that the OP also mentions being a dairy farmer in the past. I never met a dairy farmer that was successful who wasn't an equipment guru as most of their plans are to build up equipment through hard work. Something isn't right here and all suggestions have been ignored, just a waste of time.

/ Wood BBX72 Brush Bull Xtreme not up to the task............
Running 3-4MPH at about 4". Gopher mounds are sometimes over a foot tall and in 6' tall grass like in the photo below, good luck seeing them. When cutting higher the dry grass does not shear off even with brand new blades. The cut looks like trash. If the grass is green it will cut fine at 8" but everything here is dead and dry by the end of July. If i try to cut at 8" i am down to 2MPH or less. Sharpened the blades and cut 6 acres last night. This was somewhat green so i cut at around 6-7" Very few rocks but VERY rough ground. Front of the mower was in the dirt many times if i wasn't fast enough on the 3 point. Right arm is sore from constant adjustment of 3 point. There was a few times with the mower all the way up where i was still in the dirt due to rough ground. As far as my lift it's 1,800 at the pins, NOT 6' behind the tractor. Factory says a 1,400# mower would cause me issues. Here are a few pics of some of our jobs. The cab tractor is last nights 6 acres. I also attached the bottom view of the LP stump jumper VS the Woods. Just seems like the LP is a WHOLE lot better built. I had ABSOLUTELY no complaints on the LP. I would still be using it today but it was about 8-10" to narrow to cover the tire tracks. Yeah it got a bit beat up but man did it cut nice! I guess i should have shipped a LP in at $600 freight and stuck with what serviced me well. Live and learn...............

Attachments

• f307136a96742344f4f40c5b056d61f7.jpg
    f307136a96742344f4f40c5b056d61f7.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Rough_Cut.jpg
    Rough_Cut.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 224
  • 20140811_195356.jpg
    20140811_195356.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 20140809_181651.jpg
    20140809_181651.jpg
    716.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 20140809_181847.jpg
    20140809_181847.jpg
    610.8 KB · Views: 197
And before someone says i should cut before the grass gets that tall, That property with the 6' tall grass cannot be accessed until August as it is too wet.............

/ Wood BBX72 Brush Bull Xtreme not up to the task............ #54  
I know which looks more robust to me and there is a major difference in design.
The thing that amazes me is that there is not baffle on either one of them:confused::confused:! I find that very odd. Maybe that is because they are both light duty and baffles only come on medium and above. I thought all quality rotary cutters had baffles.:confused2: I know mine does and am glad it does.

/ Wood BBX72 Brush Bull Xtreme not up to the task............ #55  
As far as my lift it's 1,800 at the pins, NOT 6' behind the tractor. Factory says a 1,400# mower would cause me issues. .

The dont get a 1400# mower. No one is telling you that. But you need to step ut up a notch from light duty.

AS mentioned, the BB720 is NOT 1400#, it is 1200#

landpride 2672......1050#.......1/4" sides
landpride 2772......1070#........1/4" sides
bushhog bh26.......1100#........1/4" sides

Those are just 2 manufactures. Most all of them offer a Meduim duty cutter in the 1000-1200# range with 1/4" sides.

When dealing with 6' cutters, anything under 900# is light duty IMO. 1000-1200 is medium duty. Over that is heavy duty, in which most are 1400-1500. And the difference between HD and Medium is a little thicker deck, bigger gearbox, and heavier hitch and tailwheel. None of which you seem to have issues with yet.

Thanks, The reason i bought what i did is it had similar specs to the Landpride i had which NEVER gave me a days worth of problems and nobody had ANYTHING heavier in stock within 300 miles. Shipping would have been $500 - $600. Guess that would have been well spent as obviously the specs are either wrong or the quality of the steel Woods is using is not as good as LP as there is only 1 gauge difference between the 2. My tool and die friend used to work at Knight Manufacturing in Broadhead Wi and said that the steel they got in varied so much it would make your head spin........

/ Wood BBX72 Brush Bull Xtreme not up to the task............ #57  
1 gauges may not seem like alot, but like I said, that in combination of spanning a smaller distance makes a huge difference.

Your woods cutter is basically 11ga band spanning a 6' length of side
The LP cutter is 10ga band spanning 5'

So kinda like a 2x4 spanning 10' or a 2x6 spanning 8'.

I do not buy into the whole low quality steel BS.

So the LP is 12% thicker, 18% smaller.. Should make it about 33% stronger.

--or--

The Woods is 11% thinner and 20% bigger. makes it about 29% weaker

/ Wood BBX72 Brush Bull Xtreme not up to the task............ #58  
We have 2019 Kubota (2) MX 5200 that we use (2) Woods BB720X rotary cutter for about 800 on each hours now. You have to know we cut acreage and never the same field twice. We don't own the land we cut. Yes the 10ga deck does dent when the mower hits something solid and brakes it in to nothing. I have worn out my stump jumper, countless blade replacements, and have chain attaching my top hitch point to the mower deck. The paint is crappy. and I will have my options open when it comes time to buy another mower. But this thing goes and does work anytime I'm ready. Probably the most structurally sound mower deck I ever used.
  • Stump Jumper is thin as paper after 800 hours of use, and the blade cross bar pan is cracking and braking through on both mowers.
  • The ridged top mount steel bars were bent on both mowers after we were in a retired "clean" junk yard. We snagged our mower decks and bent the steel supports.
  • Paint peeled from day one. not entering in a car show.
  • Deck got many dents from rock, wood debris, metal, and crap
  • If we hit one tire, we hit 10 rims. People throw their crap in fields all the time. Nothing like finding it with my 35k crap finder.
I don't think there is another mower deck that would have lasted these last three years.

Last edited:
   / Wood BBX72 Brush Bull Xtreme not up to the task............ #59  
We have 2019 Kubota (2) MX 5200 that we use (2) Woods BB720X rotary cutter for about 800 on each hours now. You have to know we cut acreage and never the same field twice. We don't own the land we cut. Yes the 10ga deck does dent when the mower hits something solid and brakes it in to nothing. I have worn out my stump jumper, countless blade replacements, and have chain attaching my top hitch point to the mower deck. The paint is crappy. and I will have my options open when it comes time to buy another mower. But this thing goes and does work anytime I'm ready. Probably the most structurally sound mower deck I ever used.
  • Stump Jumper is thin as paper after 800 hours of use, and the blade cross bar pan is cracking and braking through on both mowers.
  • The ridged top mount steel bars were bent on both mowers after we were in a retired "clean" junk yard. We snagged our mower decks and bent the steel supports.
  • Paint peeled from day one. not entering in a car show.
  • Deck got many dents from rock, wood debris, metal, and crap
  • If we hit one tire, we hit 10 rims. People throw their crap in fields all the time. Nothing like finding it with my 35k crap finder.
I don't think there is another mower deck that would have lasted these last three years.

Mine looks like the stump jumper pan is cracking but upon really close inspection, it was the paint, not the pan itself—but from three feet away you'd swear it is the pan cracking. Also, I really like the top design that sheds snow in the winter when it is stored outside and rainwater in the summer. I wish the access port was bigger and I keep thinking it is one plasma cut away from becoming so. The bash guards on mine are bent from backing into smaller trees, and the machine really does do a good job on 4" wide and smaller material. Regardless, I'd buy my 720XX again,as i'm super pleased with its performance since I first started using in in 2014.

Last edited:
   / Wood BBX72 Brush Bull Xtreme not up to the task............ #60  
4" height? I missed that. He needs to get rid of the rocks and get a finish mower. Nothing will take that kind of abuse.. Blades will not tolerate it no matter what the thickness of the cutter.
not to be a tool, but you are missing the other issue, you cannot get rid of the rocks. this is comming from someone who has spent years pulling a rock rake around in a field to clear the rocks. as the OP said they just grow back, spend a week clearing them and after the first rain it looks like you never did anything.