Oil & Fuel Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring

/ Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring #31  
One fuel line. the other is most likely the return line. Whatever fuel is unused by the injectors is returned to the tank. On my 3910, the return line also feeds the prestart glow plug.

/ Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring #32  
Those line are unused fuel from the fuel injector. it is not gravity and has a slight positive fresh back to the tank. Those rubber lines can't hold much pressure at all.Your fuel tank is atmospheric. You do not have a pump in the tank if that's what you are asking. start from injector and you have a banjo connection, follow the bypass line and it runs in the tank. Below is how it is on F-1700 on the injector return. Transfer pump ain't gonna do what your asking. Just a bit curious, did you find tank outlet fitting, shut off valve at the tank and hose from the shut off valve to the inlet of the filter?

DSC03575.JPG

DSC09614.JPG

/ Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring #33  
Those line are unused fuel from the fuel injector. it is not gravity and has a slight positive fresh back to the tank. Those rubber lines can't hold much pressure at all.Your fuel tank is atmospheric. You do not have a pump in the tank if that's what you are asking. start from injector and you have a banjo connection, follow the bypass line and it runs in the tank. Below is how it is on F-1700 on the injector return. Transfer pump ain't gonna do what your asking. Just a bit curious, did you find tank outlet fitting, shut off valve at the tank and hose from the shut off valve to the inlet of the filter?

View attachment 760521

View attachment 760522
Great Pics!

/ Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring
Great Pics!

Yes, I just replaced the sediment bowl, filter o-ring etc but my original problem is still there=it runs for ten min at say 2,500rpm then starts to act as if is starved for fuel or air and slows down until it dies. Wait 30 min and it will start again but go thru the whole cycle of dying all over. From what I’ve read it is junky hell and it was really hot here all summer, the tractor was outside and only half full of fuel. So…I would guess there’s all sorts of glop somewhere but there’s no drainage screw or way to empty it all from bottom. Besides it has a Sims cab and I dthink that would really make taking the tank off difficult. All I want to do is essentially vacuum the tank out. One guy had a great bush fix with a shop vac going into a one gallon bottle whic had another tube that could be pushed down into the tank. That would save the shop vac from stinking like diesel forever. Make sense? I just wish there was a liquid product I could pour in to dissolve everything that might be in there. But, that could be anything from a piece of plastic to birdseed to a gelatinous blob of diesel glop.

Thanks for responding and pics!

One fuel line. the other is most likely the return line. Whatever fuel is unused by the injectors is returned to the tank. On my 3910, the return line also feeds the prestart glow plug.

Got it. Thanks. I’d never paid much attention since never had a fuel problem in 20 years.

Transfer pump ain't gonna do what your asking. Just a bit curious, did you find tank outlet fitting, shut off valve at the tank and hose from the shut off valve to the inlet of the filter?

PS no, I’m only aware of the shutoff at the filter and yes I assume my pic showed the outlet and inlet fittings at top of tank.

/ Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring #37  
   / Ford 1920 fuel filter mysterious spring #38  
Transfer pump ain't gonna do what your asking. Just a bit curious, did you find tank outlet fitting, shut off valve at the tank and hose from the shut off valve to the inlet of the filter?

PS no, I’m only aware of the shutoff at the filter and yes I assume my pic showed the outlet and inlet fittings at top of tank

Inlet fitting can never be on top of a tank unless it has a submersible type pump. That happens in a car fuel tank.Fuel pump is high pressure and sits in the tank and pumps all the way to the injectors. On old carburated type engine the the fuel pump ran off of crankshaft or internal engine component. Below you see fuel tank outlet on the bottom of the tank with a shut off valve. The hose then goes to filter and then to the injector pump inlet. Here I have removed the bowl for fuel filter change out. Like I said, that little rubber hose cannot hold and maintain any serious pressure and it is just return unused fuel from the injector.
DSC06732.JPG
DSC06733.JPG
DSC06739.JPG

Thanks for responding and your pics look like what I’d expect in this 1920 BUT the fuel feed the filter bowl coming out of the *top* of the tank (see pic) does it just create a siphoned effect or somehow draw the fuel up to that point? In my pic the line goes from top of tank down to fuel filter. That’s what I don’t get. Yours makes sense and makes a clean out super easy.