Bear Trouble

/ Bear Trouble
Can’t say for Tahoe but home in the Bay Area electric fences are often limited to AG and the there is the fire danger from arcing…

/ Bear Trouble #82  
I can tell you that bear spray works. It also lingers. Spraying it around perimeter the property after lock up may help. With a 5' set back the neighbors may be a bit peeved though. However, if enough neighbors use the stuff the bears will avoid the place.

I use electric fencing all the time. If there are any restrictions it's a municipality thing.

I had a coyote issue awhile back. As crazy as it sounds "fixing" a coyote like a stray dog isn't allowed. You kill them but trimming the family tree isn't an option. I assume that it's same with bears.

At risk of making light of a serious subject, you could throw your bear a soccer ball.

/ Bear Trouble #83  
I can tell you that bear spray works. It also lingers. Spraying it around perimeter the property after lock up may help. With a 5' set back the neighbors may be a bit peeved though. However, if enough neighbors use the stuff the bears will avoid the place.

I use electric fencing all the time. If there are any restrictions it's a municipality thing.

I had a coyote issue awhile back. As crazy as it sounds "fixing" a coyote like a stray dog isn't allowed. You kill them but trimming the family tree isn't an option. I assume that it's same with bears.

At risk of making light of a serious subject, you could throw your bear a soccer ball.

I always say that bear spray works good when you see a bear. Ammonia works good if you don’t want to see a bear.:D

/ Bear Trouble #84  

bear spay works ehn ... yeah sometime but ain't bullet proof... it only work at 20 to 30 feet, too close and it wont have time to feel it before it get you and too far and you won't reach him ...It also only works if the wind is on your back ... yes its better then nothing but its not 100% effective .

False: Bears are actually attracted to bear spray residue if it is sprayed on the ground or on objects. Never spray it around a tent or on yourself. When used defensively, bear spray must be sprayed directly in the attacking bear’s.

/ Bear Trouble #85  
bear spay works ehn ... yeah sometime but ain't bullet proof... it only work at 20 to 30 feet, too close and it wont have time to feel it before it get you and too far and you won't reach him ...It also only works if the wind is on your back ... yes its better then nothing but its not 100% effective .

False: Bears are actually attracted to bear spray residue if it is sprayed on the ground or on objects. Never spray it around a tent or on yourself. When used defensively, bear spray must be sprayed directly in the attacking bear’s.

Agree on the attraction, seen them roll in the spot after it was sprayed. I had hoped they improved it. I haven’t bought any in years. Ammonia is all I have used in the last 20 years. Little spray bottle camping or a pie pan around the house sitting and you never see a bear the rest of your life.

/ Bear Trouble #88  
My bear spray with 9-capacity doogooders 1oz slugs.

wm_8619262.jpg

/ Bear Trouble #90  
That attitude and pitch is a large part of the problem.
Yep...like that idiot in Alaska who got buddy-buddy with grizzlies...until one killed him