Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it?

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #31  
My condolences, It is never easy going through/getting rid of dads stuff. Wasn't very easy for me when my father passed anyway.
That said ,my thoughts are this. You mention selling as is.
It has been my experience ,both buying and selling, that something that is not running is both harder to sell and sells cheaper than you expect when it does sell.
Another poster here has new value at 5,800 plus attachments. And he has been paying half price for them used. IMO 3k turns into 1.5 or 1K pretty quick when they are not running. Food for thought when deciding if you fix it ,and how much to spend to get it running should you decide to fix it.
Air fuel and spark are the basic ingredients to make any engine run. Myself I would check these first
1, Is there spark? Remove spark plug rest on engine [to get a ground] and crank. You should be able to see a bright spark. You may have to fiddle a bit to get a good ground so don't just try this once.
2, Are you getting fuel to carb? There should be a small drain plug on bottom of carb somewhere. No fuel there....is there an in line or in tank filter? Is either plugged? Really it might be best to just change the fuel filter out and eliminate that. If fuel is getting to float bowl Is there fuel getting past needle valve. If you have fuel to float bowl but not fuel past needle valve then the carb is most likely to need cleaning.
I should put a plug in for sea foam fuel cleaner. It worked wonders for a car I had bought cheap. The car had not been driven for +/-8 years. It ran well enough to get home okay ,but it ran really rough. I ran two cans of sea foam through it and I did not tune or touch the engine other than change oil and filters. Still driving today. If you put fresh gas [imo premium is best] or have already put fresh gas in it add a healthy dose of sea foam.
Good luck

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #32  
I understand the OPs issues of distance, time and inclination. Selling a running unit is best, but selling it as is also makes sense. If selling as is, here is something that might help.

Any small engine that has spark, compression, and a decent battery will start with ether and run for a bit. It would be worth paying a friend, small engine mechanic, or auto mechanic $100 to come over and start it with ether, and get it recorded on video. That will go along way to easing the fears of an as is buyer.

I just bought a non-running ATV on an online auction. It started and idled beautifully on ether. It gave me the confidence to take a gamble. It has worked out beautifully.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #33  
Articulated machine. I was eyeballing these many years ago as they would have really suited my needs.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it?
I understand the OPs issues of distance, time and inclination. Selling a running unit is best, but selling it as is also makes sense. If selling as is, here is something that might help.

Any small engine that has spark, compression, and a decent battery will start with ether and run for a bit. It would be worth paying a friend, small engine mechanic, or auto mechanic $100 to come over and start it with ether, and get it recorded on video. That will go along way to easing the fears of an as is buyer.

I just bought a non-running ATV on an online auction. It started and idled beautifully on ether. It gave me the confidence to take a gamble. It has worked out beautifully.

Yea I'll probably just wait until spring and plan a weekend to get her running and bring all the equipment back home where I can manage the project/sale easier.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #35  
That will pay dividends.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it?
I really appreciate everyones help here.

A little update:

I was able to get out there and get the pt started with little issue. We loaded up all the attachments and the tractor and brought it back to Michigan.

The good: It seems to run well most of the time. We've had a field day with it at home burying drain lines, moving trailers, and digging fence posts.

The not so good: like I said above it seems to run well or okay most of the time. Sometimes, no matter cold or warm, it will begin backfiring or surging hard. If I let it idle too long it will struggle running the rpm up again. If I restart the motor it sometimes will run fine again. Sometimes not.

I have changed the fuel filter and removed and cleaned the carb. It seemed to run a bit smoother after the carb clean but still have the issue of random backfire or surging. I have run a few gallons of clean fresh fuel through it by now. I can confirm the fuel pump is in working condition.

I have not changed the plugs or ignition coils, records would indicate this has been done several times by my father while trying to diagnose the backfiring/surging. The fuel pump is also newer. I have not yet serviced the oil or hydraulic systems.

Any ideas on things to look at?

I really love this thing and am considering selling my larger Kioti tractor instead of selling this. Seems to be a better all around tool for my small homestead.

Edit: Machine has about 720 hours.

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #37  
Governor adjustment?

Last edited:
   / Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #38  
Time to change the air filter?

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #39  
PT-Braintrust —-

I think those engines require valve adjustment once in a while don’t they?

/ Late Fathers PT-422: What should I do with it? #40  
I'm wondering if a valve is sticking. Try a good dose of Sefoam and Marvel Mystery Oil.