Insomnia

/ Insomnia #21  
I told this story before, but here it is again. I snore! Wife wakes me up when I snore so I roll over and stop snoring. She then doesn't hear me snoring so she pokes me again, thinking I might be dead!
Last week, I had a sinus infection/ chest cold.. Snoring on my back, wheezing on my side. Dog was soft yips and licks when snoring. Thumping me and pushing me with her paw when the wheezing started.

I start growling and cussing when then thumping started.

I feel your pain. Wife just got the dog to do the dirty work.

Thankfully it only lasted for 3 nights of the sinus infection/ cold

/ Insomnia #22  
Oh, and that is with 10mg melatonin, 25 mg doxylamine succunate, 750 mg of GABA, and some garden herb..... nope... same pattern. I just can't turn off the brain. All sorts of thoughts, including planning out the next project.

I was a paramedic and was always in the state of hightened awareness, and adrenaline rush For years, I just can't turn it off.... listening to that "odd" sound at night, I even hear the refrigerator turn on / off in the opposite end of the house!

But... I can't use earplugs because then I hear my thoughts!....not really, but then I can't hear all those sounds and start thinking I'm missing something important!

At least now I know that I'm not the only one going through this....

/ Insomnia #23  
I've been having the same problem for the last few weeks. In my case though it's because I screwed my back up again. A dull throbbing pain will disrupt your sleep, especially when you roll onto the bad side.

-How much coffee do you drink in a day? I've had to cut back to (2) cups per day, and lately have found that I need to cut back more.
My "cup" holds 16 ounces. :D
Mountain Dew and other sodas have even more caffeine, plus are high in sugar which also can keep you awake.
-Stress will also cause you to lose sleep. From many of your posts, it sounds like you have a lot in your life.
-Are you warm enough while trying to sleep? I used to wake up at around 1:00 or 2:00, and lay there thinking about adding more wood to the fire. If I didn't do so, I would get cold so wouldn't sleep well for the rest of the night. I finally turned the thermostat from 50 to 60, and took care of that problem.
-Exercise probably will help. I know that if I'm stuck inside for two days both the dog and I are going crazy. In those cases I try to walk the road in front of my house several times per day.

Good luck. As others have mentioned, if it's a consistent problem then it's time to talk to your doctor.

/ Insomnia
But... I can't use earplugs because then ...
.... the tinnitus becomes deafening. I need music to soothe the ringing beast.

Otherwise pretty much all of the above replies in one way or another. I generally don't drink, but sometimes a shot is what makes the difference. Generic Nyquil often helps, but not always.

I can't even count the number of times I've seen 1AM in recent years. Probably as often as 1PM.

I worked graveyard for six or seven years, so that didn't help.

This time of year, the room is 60-ish, give or take a few. Multiple layers of comforters and blankets plus sweats keeps me warm enough and I can kick the covers off if need be.

/ Insomnia #26  
Mountain Dew and other sodas have even more caffeine, plus are high in sugar which also can keep you awake.
MD is about the only caffeinated beverage I drink, and I've found that I can't drink it after 3pm or so, otherwise I'm still wide awake at bedtime.

/ Insomnia #27  
Reading some of these posts, makes me grateful. I sleep extremely well. Most of my adult life I had a job where I worked 6-7 days a week. I would go to bed around 11 or midnight, get up at 6. I was asleep the whole 6 hours. I seldom turned over in the night. Now since I retired. I rarely get to bed before midnight, sometimes later. I sometimes drink coffee at midnight, I drink a lot of coffee. I go to bed when I get sleepy & usually, I am asleep in 5-10 minutes. I sleep 8 or more hours now and rarely turnover. Even sleeping that much, now if I sit down after lunch and watch TV, I will fall asleep & drop my coffee cup.

/ Insomnia #28  
.... the tinnitus becomes deafening. I need music to soothe the ringing beast.

Otherwise pretty much all of the above replies in one way or another. I generally don't drink, but sometimes a shot is what makes the difference. Generic Nyquil often helps, but not always.

I can't even count the number of times I've seen 1AM in recent years. Probably as often as 1PM.

I worked graveyard for six or seven years, so that didn't help.

This time of year, the room is 60-ish, give or take a few. Multiple layers of comforters and blankets plus sweats keeps me warm enough and I can kick the covers off if need be.
I see 11:50 for a couple nights. Then 3:30 for a couple more nights. Then I'll sleep through the night and wake up 10 minutes before my alarm goes off and it's a race to the bathroom.

Then it starts back over.

I can pretty much set a clock to almost pin point accuracy by my bladder Ain't getting older so much fun

/ Insomnia #29  
The rare time that I have difficulty falling asleep I'll just pop a couple of ibuprofen to take the 'edge' off. A glass of water right before heading off to bed, plus having a full sport-bottle of water sitting on my nightstand to keep me hydrated over night leads to a good night's sleep.
A great mattress (I've got a "Tempur" (y) (y) (y) ) is also 'key'.

On those rare nights, I've usually discovered, the next morning, that a very high or low Pressure Front has occurred.

/ Insomnia #30  
I see 11:50 for a couple nights. Then 3:30 for a couple more nights. Then I'll sleep through the night and wake up 10 minutes before my alarm goes off and it's a race to the bathroom.

Then it starts back over.

I can pretty much set a clock to almost pin point accuracy by my bladder
Ain't getting older so much fun
I had that for about 10 years. A couple of hours in surgery and about $50K later, I can get through the night without going.