Kubota B2920

/ Kubota B2920 #1  

bama7

Tractor
John Deere 855
I just can't make my mind up as to what I want to do. I am talking with a guy who has a B2920 with FEL, finish mower and a couple of other small attachments. I may be able to get it for $12,000. Are they heavy enough to do lifting and moving of dirt? I think the big problem may be turf tires. I am talking occasional work cleaning and leveling my 2.5 acres. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

/ Kubota B2920 #2  
The negatives as I see it are
  1. Overall weight. Looking at spec sheets the base tractor is only 1554 plus 459 for the FEL and even if you added a B/H at 705lbs. the whole rig would way in at just over 2700 lbs. Additionally no backhoe means you'll have to fill the tires and carry rear wts. or a heavy rear implement to safely move any serious amount of loader weight.
  2. Turf tires aren't going to give you much traction when trying get a bucket load of anything other than loose dirt particularly given tractor's weight.
  3. If you do decide to go ahead, you'll find a backhoe is essential for breaking up packed soil and serving as a counter weight for FEL load carrying.

/ Kubota B2920 #3  
You don't indicate how much cleaning and leveling you want to do. The loader will certainly load and move dirt. So would a teaspoon. The question is how much you plan to do at any one time. A big tractor can move a lot more dirt at one time than a little tractor. If you have major leveling to do it may be wise to rent a larger piece of equipment or even pay a contractor to do it. If the amount of work is relatively small and you're patient I'm sure that little tractor would do it.

/ Kubota B2920
I don't have a a great amount of moving and leveling to do. My concern is spending a bunch of money, to me, for something that may work me more than he tractor. The tractor weight and turf tires are the big concern for me. It does come with some weights to add on the back and I could hang my box blade or bush hog for additional weight I guess.

/ Kubota B2920 #5  

Kubota B2920​

Kubota B2920 tractor photo
2008 - 2015
B2x20 Series
Compact Utility tractor
Series:B2620B2920
Production
Manufacturer:Kubota
Type:Compact Utility tractor
Original price:$14,753 (2011)

Kubota B2920 Power
Engine:29 hp
21.6 kW
PTO (claimed):21 hp
15.7 kW
Kubota B2920 Engine
Kubota 1.3L 3-cyl diesel
Mechanical
Chassis:4x4 MFWD 4WD
Differential lock:rear standard
Steering:hydrostatic power
Brakes:wet disc
Cab:Two-post foldable ROPS. Sunshade optional.
Photos
Kubota B2920
Capacity
Fuel:6.6 gal
25.0 L
Hydraulic system:4 gal
15.1 L
Hydraulics
Type:open center
Capacity:4 gal
15.1 L
Valves:1 or 2
Pump flow:4.7 gpm
17.8 lpm
Total flow:8.3 gpm
31.4 lpm
Steering flow:3.6 gpm
13.6 lpm
Tractor hitch
Rear Type:1
Rear lift (at ends):1,356 lbs
615 kg
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm):1,058 lbs
479 kg
Power Take-off (PTO)
Rear PTO:live
Rear RPM:540/960
Engine RPM:540@2773
960@2722
Mid PTO:optional
Mid RPM:2500
Engine RPM:2500@2750
Dimensions & Tires
Wheelbase:61.5 inches
156 cm
Weight:1,554 lbs
704 kg
Front tire:7-12
Rear tire:11.2-16
Width:
49 inches
Kubota B2920 attachments
54" mid-mount mower deck
60" mid-mount mower deck
front-end loader

Kubota LA364 Loader
Height (to pin):78.6 inches
199 cm
Clearance, dumped bucket:60.9 inches
154 cm
Dump reach:22.7 inches
57 cm
Dump angle:40°
Rollback angle:25°
Breakout force (at pin):2,144 lbs
972 kg
Breakout force (at 500mm):1,520 lbs
689 kg
Breakout force (bucket):1,741 lbs
789 kg
Lift to full height (at pin):952 lbs
431 kg
Lift to full height (at 500mm):661 lbs
299 kg
Bucket width:50 inches
127 cm
Raise time to height:3.7 s
Bucket dump time:1.9 s
Lowering time:2.7 s
Rollback time:2.6 s
backhoe
Electrical
Ground:negative
Charging system:alternator
Charging amps:14.5
40 (optional)
Battery volts:12
Page information
Last update:August 16, 2017
Copyright:Copyright 2021 TractorData LLC

Last edited:
   / Kubota B2920 #6  
I am talking occasional work on my 2.5 acres.

This is a fine homeowner's tractor for one to four / five acres. Tractors in this employ average 60 to 80 engine hours of use per year. The tractor will last indefinitely in your situation with conscientious greasing and fluid changes.

My main reason for a replacement tractor is the FEL. Is the FEL strong enough to lift and move dirt?

The 'real world' FEL lift capacity is 661 pounds.
Few would move more than 80 pounds of dirt in a wheelbarrow, for comparison. So, theoretically, the bucket will move 8-1/4 wheelbarrow loads per trip.

To lift 661 pounds you need counterbalance mounted on the Three Point Hitch. A Box Blade is often used for counterbalance and is one of the primary implements used for smoothing dirt and dragging dirt short distances, about thirty feet max. Counterbalance of 400 pounds should be about right, the weight of a heavy 54" to 60" wide Box Blade.

Turf tires are fine on a tractor of this weight, unless you will be doing considerable mowing of saplings or unless your ground has lots of thorns or sharp edged rocks. If this is your first tractor, turfs will make this light tractor feel an increment of two more stable than other tires. The Kubota B2920 has 4-WD, which is more important for traction than tire type, unless you have a long mud season, when R1 ag tires might prove just a mite better than turf tires. (The bar tread on light tractor R1/ag tires does not protrude far.) Most Florida soil is sand based and not very challenging to Three Point Hitch implements WHEN MOIST.

My concern is spending a bunch of money, to me, for something that may work me more than the tractor.
The tractor has power steering. The implements are light, proportional to the tractor weight and, with experience, easy to mount.

If your height is over 5'10" or you wear a size 10 shoe or larger, be sure to sit on the Kubota. The operating station on Kubota B's are none too commodious.

This tractor is probably free of Tier IV emission controls, which many here consider burdensome. A plus factor.

Last edited:
   / Kubota B2920 #7  
As suggested, a box blade could be added for extra weight on the rear. A ballast box is also an option. (I have both.) For added stability you could investigate liquid filled tires. Liquid can be added to most tires. The current liquid of choice seems to be beet juice as it's less corrosive and more environmentally friendly than most other options.

/ Kubota B2920 #8  
I do not know quite where Middleburg, Florida is located. Most around me use plain water in tractor tires when tractor is garage stored. Those storing outside use some anti-freeze with the water. Where I live we seldom experience more than four night freezes per year.

Last edited:
   / Kubota B2920 #9  
I just can't make my mind up as to what I want to do. I am talking with a guy who has a B2920 with FEL, finish mower and a couple of other small attachments. I may be able to get it for $12,000. Are they heavy enough to do lifting and moving of dirt? I think the big problem may be turf tires. I am talking occasional work cleaning and leveling my 2.5 acres. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
How many hours on it ? I think that is a very good buy unless it is awfully high hours/old/worn out. As others said -- liftingand moving dirt is a wide open topic. This 2920 will move several hundred pounds of whatever will fit the bucket easily. It will NOT dig deep holes in hard ground or prepare the foundation for a new home.

/ Kubota B2920 #10  
The negatives as I see it are
  1. Overall weight. Looking at spec sheets the base tractor is only 1554 plus 459 for the FEL and even if you added a B/H at 705lbs. the whole rig would way in at just over 2700 lbs. Additionally no backhoe means you'll have to fill the tires and carry rear wts. or a heavy rear implement to safely move any serious amount of loader weight.
  2. Turf tires aren't going to give you much traction when trying get a bucket load of anything other than loose dirt particularly given tractor's weight.
  3. If you do decide to go ahead, you'll find a backhoe is essential for breaking up packed soil and serving as a counter weight for FEL load carrying.

The only clue the OP gave that would indicate a need for weight and greater traction, etc. is "...leveling..." his 2.5 acres. No idea what that might really mean. If he means using it as a light dozer you are probably right.

Otherwise, with all due respect I disagree with all of your points.

1) The OP has not mentioned anything to indicate he needs a lot of weight or any more weight than the B2920 provides. [depending on what he means by "leveling."]

2) Turf tires and traction ? Based on what ? You must mean when scooping forward trying to gather a bucket load. If he needs more traction there he will need more weight on the rear regardless of tires. With his finish mower on the back he may have all the rear ballast he needs. If he needs more, fill the rear tires. We have no idea what surface he will operate on and thus no reason to think the turf tires will lack adequate traction. Turf tires are generally huge compared to ag tires & thus will hold a lot more fluid for weight. Weight is traction depending on the surface too, of course.

And 3) There is no reason to think that the OP will want/need a backhoe !! There are hundreds of (cheaper. simpler, more practical) ways to get more rear weight ballast than putting on a backhoe (!!) With a B26 you already have a backhoe. Not everyone wants or needs one.

I guess what we need to comment effectively is more info on what he means by "leveling" and what his total expectations are.

Last edited: