Buying Advice L3301 trade-up quote / advice

/ L3301 trade-up quote / advice #1  

NotQuiteCountry

Tractor
Kubota L3301DT 4WD ROPS
Hello all!

I've been a long-time lurker from East TN, and been led here by Google more times than I count. Figured it was time to officially join up, and I just happen to have a situation that I would love to get some input on. I'm looking to trade a low hours '15 L3301 towards the purchase of a '20 L3560, and I just got my first quote from the closet dealer. "Not impressed" doesn't seem to capture my reaction.

I was quoted on:

2020 L3560 HST w/ROPS, R4s
LA805 loader
72" heavy round back bucket w/ bolt-on edge (dealer says edge is required?)
Subframe kit installed for a BH77 (I have a BH77 that I wanted to use on new machine)

Their price was $33,000, which is simply list price of that configuration rounded up to nearest $1,000. I had also requested draft control, but the dealer says that it is a "dealer installed option" (obviously) so if I really wanted it, it would be an additional $1,700 for them to install. List for draft control in the configurator is ~$560. Is this normal practice? Standard options on a new tractor carry a ~$1,100 install charge?

I am more disgruntled with the trade-in quote. What I have to trade is:

2015 L3301DT 4WD with 130 hours, R4s
LA525 loader w/Kubota quick attach
66" quick attach bucket
BH77 subframe kit

They are offering $9,500 for this. This seems...low? The dealer apparently called the note holder of the loan to get my payoff amount because they included it in the quote, and I hadn't told them what it was. I owe ~$9,300 on the note, so it appears that they have just rounded my payoff amount up to nearest $500.

What do y'all think? Am I out-of-line being "offended" by this quote? Would really appreciate any input on it, especially the trade-in value. If $9,500 really is what the market will bear for my trade, I will definitely just keep it.

Thanks!

/ L3301 trade-up quote / advice #2  
72" heavy round back bucket w/ bolt-on edge (dealer says edge is required?) BS...............

Sell your old tractor yourself.................

Look around and see what the are selling for seams a low ball trade offer.........

/ L3301 trade-up quote / advice #3  
NotQuiteCountry

I'm looking to trade a low hours '15 L3301 towards the purchase of a '20 L3560, and I just got my first quote from the closet dealer. Their price was $33,000, which is simply list price of that configuration rounded up to nearest $1,000. "Not impressed" doesn't capture my reaction.

I was quoted on:

LA805 loader

I have the L2296 h-d, r-b bucket on my L3560. I love it. You do not need a bolt on edge with the L2296. Furthermore a bolt on edge will prohibit you from using several useful bucket attachments, first and foremost a Bucket Spade, then a Ratchet Rake. Probably will also prohibit attachment of Piranha (digging) Toothbar. Bucket attachments are engineered for standard bucket dimensions.

I had also requested draft control, but the dealer says that it is a "dealer installed option" (obviously) so if I really wanted it, it would be an additional $1,700 for them to install. List for draft control in the configurator is ~$560. Is this normal practice?

When I purchased my L3560 in January 2013 I ordered optional Kubota Draft Control. Installed price for optional Draft Control was $500.

Standard options on a new tractor carry a ~$1,100 install charge?

Standard options on a new tractor purchase should not have installation charges.

Aftermarket installation of third function remote for a grapple and/or rear hydraulic ports often do carry installation charges.

I suggest getting in touch with Barlow in Somerset, Kentucky for a sharp pencil quotation. Barlow delivers to Tennessee routinely.

LINK: Steve Barlow Farm Equipment | Kubota Dealer in Somerset, KY

Last edited:
   / L3301 trade-up quote / advice #4  
I have - 2015 l3301 but HST.
I would think 14k low to 15k retail sell would be a closer number.

/ L3301 trade-up quote / advice #5  
I agree with the earlier posters.

You will be $$$ ahead if you sell your own tractor yourself rather than allowing your dealer to make money on both your new and your old tractor.

IIRC, I paid around $650 for the dealer installed draft control on my L6060. This is an uncommon option and, more than likely, your dealer has not installed one before. Doing so properly takes some time and most dealers just "bolt them on." FWIW, the draft control used on L series tractors is a bit of a Rube Goldberg and you probably do not want it anyway. I'll never buy another one.

Be advised that dealers like to install options to a tractor that they have on hand or (worse) get from another dealer. They then charge installation time at shop rate to do so. Insist on a new tractor ordered per your specifications from Kubota.

SDT

/ L3301 trade-up quote / advice #6  
I sold my 2012 L3200HST w/ FEL and a heated cab I built about 6 months ago It had around 600 hours on it. The deal included a nice 6' LandPride RFM and some homemade attachments. The buyer was happy at $18,500 and another guy wanted it if the first guy bailed.

Is the 4 more HP and bit of extra weight of the L3560 enough of a jump to be worthwhile?

/ L3301 trade-up quote / advice #7  
Hello all!

I've been a long-time lurker from East TN, and been led here by Google more times than I count. Figured it was time to officially join up, and I just happen to have a situation that I would love to get some input on. I'm looking to trade a low hours '15 L3301 towards the purchase of a '20 L3560, and I just got my first quote from the closet dealer. "Not impressed" doesn't seem to capture my reaction.

I was quoted on:

LA805 loader
Subframe kit installed for a BH77 (I have a BH77 that I wanted to use on new machine)

Their price was $33,000, which is simply list price of that configuration rounded up to nearest $1,000. I had also requested draft control, but the dealer says that it is a "dealer installed option" (obviously) so if I really wanted it, it would be an additional $1,700 for them to install. List for draft control in the configurator is ~$560. Is this normal practice? Standard options on a new tractor carry a ~$1,100 install charge?

I am more disgruntled with the trade-in quote. What I have to trade is:

2015 L3301DT 4WD with 130 hours, R4s
LA525 loader w/Kubota quick attach
66" quick attach bucket
BH77 subframe kit

They are offering $9,500 for this. This seems...low? The dealer apparently called the note holder of the loan to get my payoff amount because they included it in the quote, and I hadn't told them what it was. I owe ~$9,300 on the note, so it appears that they have just rounded my payoff amount up to nearest $500.

What do y'all think? Am I out-of-line being "offended" by this quote? Would really appreciate any input on it, especially the trade-in value. If $9,500 really is what the market will bear for my trade, I will definitely just keep it.

Thanks!

Been there, done that. Kubota dealers are loath to take in trade ins. 9,500 isn't offensive, it's a crime. I think you are sitting on about 17K in value.

/ L3301 trade-up quote / advice #8  
I sold my L3200 & a couple implements a couple years ago for $18k. Upgraded to a L4060 for the cab. I wanted the other bells & whistles, but really only use the 2 speed HST+. 2 speed HST+ turns out to be as nice as the cab though. Every HST sucks to shift ranges in, even on the Grands. HST+ means rarely having to bother.

In many ways going from 32hp to 40hp ended up being a loss of power. The grand is double the weight. It's got at best the same usable oomph on hills or roading. Double the weight means double the traction though. I want more power roading & mowing, but not doing any grading. Hydraulic flow is about the same between the economy Ls & all the Grands so there wouldn't be any difference running the hoe.

/ L3301 trade-up quote / advice #9  
I sold my L3200 & a couple implements a couple years ago for $18k. Upgraded to a L4060 for the cab. I wanted the other bells & whistles, but really only use the 2 speed HST+. 2 speed HST+ turns out to be as nice as the cab though. Every HST sucks to shift ranges in, even on the Grands. HST+ means rarely having to bother.

In many ways going from 32hp to 40hp ended up being a loss of power. The grand is double the weight. It's got at best the same usable oomph on hills or roading. Double the weight means double the traction though. I want more power roading & mowing, but not doing any grading. Hydraulic flow is about the same between the economy Ls & all the Grands so there wouldn't be any difference running the hoe.

Bingo.

Many/most do not consider weight and it takes HP to move weight around.

SDT

/ L3301 trade-up quote / advice #10  
I would usually agree with ordering what you want, but with this country still reeling from being shut down, there would be no telling when or if you could get one anytime soon.
However, it would give you time to sell your tractor. I sold mine myself it was a lot older than yours and had zero problem selling it.
The worst thing about selling one now, is that if someone bought a new 3301, they could get zero interest. A cash buyer would make out good though.
I wanted to order one and the dealers are not even taking orders for the model I want right now, as they are backed up.
Good luck