Buying Advice Grapples: LP SGC0660 vs EA Wicked 55

/ Grapples: LP SGC0660 vs EA Wicked 55 #1  

PA452

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
Hoping to order a B2650 soon and while I previously didn't think it was worth it to me, I've decided a grapple would be worthwhile to have. I highly doubt I'll ever be using it as a root rake. I mainly just want it for grabbing and moving brush and limbs, and assist with firewood prep. I'll probably think of other uses once I have it, but that's the bulk of it.

So I see the Land Pride is about 50# heavier, so I figure the weight difference isn't enough to strongly tip the scales one way or another. Pretty sure I'm going to finance the tractor though, at least for a while, so it's appealing to be able to roll the purchase of the Land Pride in with the tractor financing package. I'm guessing I'd also have it sooner.

Are there advantages with the EA enough to offset the perks of the Land Pride?

Thanks

/ Grapples: LP SGC0660 vs EA Wicked 55 #2  
I bought a grapple a few years ago for my B2650. I looked at the EA one online and watched the video. I chose the Landpride because I could add it to the purchase price for the 0% financing. Most of the times I use the LP I wish I'd gotten the EA one that has the flat bottom on the grapple instead of the claw type I bought. The one I bought drops like a claw or closes like a claw to hold anything which is going to get crushed when it is picked up. I'll agree that most times the crushing doesn't matter but for the times I want to carry a load of "stuff" that I wouldn't want crushed to hold it on I wish I had bought the EA one with the flat bottom. The flat bottomed one looks like it can slide under "stuff" and get a larger quantity and then clamp it down to haul where mine works best by pushing some with bottom on the ground and making a rolling over motion while moving forward and closing the top claw or dropping the open claw down on a pile of "stuff". Also the EA one has close "teeth" with an adapter plate for rock hauling and rocks sometimes falls thru my LP if they aren't gripped by the teeth on the specific rock which can only be a few of them with a load. Anyway, my story and I'm sticking to it.

/ Grapples: LP SGC0660 vs EA Wicked 55 #3  
You might want to consider an MTL grapple. It has decent reviews by other TBN'ers.

I ordered one Monday. Like you, I will not be using it much and my tasks are the same as yours....Firewood processing, moving brush. $1000 for a dual clam model shipped is a good price for something that is nice to have and makes a few backbreaking tasks easier. MTL offers a smaller one cylinder one that may be better for your machine.

/ Grapples: LP SGC0660 vs EA Wicked 55 #4  
I've written lots of paragraphs on the subject and I can list off numerous reasons why EA is better than Land Pride and others.
Travis

DOMEs.jpg

20190410_104652s.jpg

KubotaL250118shafferee.png

We know land pride attachments inside and out because we have about every land pride attachment for compact tractors and several for larger tractors. Our intention isn't to make attachments that are as good as LP and other "high end" brands...we build attachments better and offer our customers a much better value!

I don't get to flex my Wicked selling muscles very often, but when people ask, I will oblige...
Email Customer: "Do these ever go on sale? I've been looking around and looking at the reviews for yours and others and they look similar. But others seem to have sales and be cheaper. Of course everyone says theirs is the best so it would be hard to judge. I would hate to purchase one based upon price and either miss an annual sale I'm not in any hurry. Thanks for your insight."
Me: We always put the best prices on our website and aren't the kind of company that has gimmicky sales. It has been working big time.
We combine the best materials money can buy; a combo unlike anything else on the market.
AR450 Steel and DOM tubing is incredibly strong, rigid and durable.
The shape resembles a Land Pride, but that's where the comparison ends. You'll find more pics and feedback about Wicked Grapples than any other tractor product out there. 151 for the Wicked 55 alone and 600+ total EA grapple reviews on our website alone! It is way more than hype!!
I composed this a while back
The 200 pound 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple is absolutely the best grapple available for small compact and subcompact tractors. It takes lightweight grapple construction to the next level and maintains strength at the same time.
These are direct quotes only referring to our Wicked Grapple Rake. Some are from the EA Channel Facebook Group, some are from TBN and some are from email, so I'll leave all anonymous.
"Makes a world of difference! I'm so glad I got this grapple for my Kubota BX23s. It's been great at clearing the brush and prickers along my driveway and around the yard. This really adds a lot of versatility to my subcompact TLB. Quality build and easy to quickly get good results for a new owner like myself."
"I can't testify to the ability of the wicked grapple but what I can say for sure is that the smooth grapple tines on my landpride suck for holding stuff. Constantly dropping logs and boulders because of it. Should have bought a wicked grapple but for now mine will have to work. All that said, as soon as it's financially feasible a wicked grapple will be on my list of things to order to replace the landpride."
"really wish i did not already have the Landpride version EA is much better"
"I wish dealers could substitute attachments on new sales, but obviously Kubota dealers only use Landpride"
"Having teeth on this grapple blows the Landpride grapple away ,not to mention the other improvements."
"Man I wish EA would have been building these things when I bought mine. They are somewhat setting a new standard for everyday use grapples."
"I have a smaller tractor, 26 HP Deere, this light Grapple has been ideal for removing brush and scouring out roots. Well put together."
"I put this on my JD 1025R and man, what a tool. It has taken the place of my bucket as the permanent fixture. I'm moving brush, rounds, logs and cleaning up in short order and with less back muscle. My best implement buy so far."
"Very excited just received my 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple today! Have to say that I am very impressed with the level of detail on the unit from the tabbed and bolted cylinder pins, grease fittings and to top it all off they even installed Parker hoses with swivels on the lines at the tee's. Top shelf."
"Love my 55" it's amazing what I am able to pick up with it. The other day I was able to unload a bunch of 6x6 timbers 3 at a time came down from the top and clamped all 3 at once. also works great for logs roots and using the lid to back drag and pick up the small stuff is great. "
You'll be amazed with your small tractor's pushing ability because of the dozer like geometry and strong, skinny design of the tines.
The short tine design keeps the load really close to the tractor's pivot pins, so the weight and geometry will increase your tractor's ability like none other!

sweatte.jpg

Comparing the 400 pound Wicked 60 to a Land Pride 10 Series.
Curious Kubota owner in another group: "Travis EA, what makes the Wicked60 stronger using 3/8ths metal? The 10 series(Land Pride) uses 1/2 inch on the outside and 3/8 in the middle tines."

Me:
Design. End tines are doubled up. Doubled up center mounted hinge point, greasable pivot points, and the thickest walled DOM round tube you've ever seen on a grapple running through the lower tines to prevent bending. Each lid tine extends to the 2nd lid tube instead of just welding a triangle on the leading tube like the LP. We even take it a step further and gusset them, which provides extra insurance against bending. Our way is stronger and will also hold onto small and/or loose debris more efficiently. Even our front lid tube is DOM. Solid, continuous welds. Serrated upper and lower teeth for gripping and ripping. The #Wicked60 is 400 pounds, which is simply ideal for the more capable L series and MX series machines. If L series owners are more concerned with maximizing lift capacity, they can back down to our #Wicked55, which shares most of the same Wicked 60 features I just outlined. This is just a quick, brief observation. Oh, you can also get it in Kubota Orange!!

20190416_074659s.jpg

46644859_1889545554476524_2511518766702002176_o_Fotoreees.jpg

46447682_1887133928051020_4383586507269603328_os.jpg

From the EA Channel Group:
"My neighbor purchased a Land Pride for his 60 horse tractor because he didn't want to wait for a Wicked Sixty. He crushed it on the first day moving firewood. I came in and completed the whole job in 40 minutes and didn't chip any paint. Boy was he pissed. LOL #Wicked60 all the way!"

KubotaL3800.jpg

/ Grapples: LP SGC0660 vs EA Wicked 55 #5  
I'm satisfied with my EA wicked grapple. I've got the 60" on a Kubota L4701.
I've had other grapples from other manufacturers and they didn't last long / bent easily.
I'm sure the Landpride would be quality too based on what I own built by them, but as far as grapples go the EA wicked one is awesome for a brush grapple. I like the way it is designed and it is rugged. If it wasn't durable, I would have broken it by now.

/ Grapples: LP SGC0660 vs EA Wicked 55 #6  
Comes down length of bottom tangs and the work intended. If your going to work it hard in the ground, short tines are better. If you just scooping up to carry long might be better. The EA WICKED requires you too plant the lower tines then use the uppers arms while curling. I think the EA will do better job picking up small light stuff. Who can pick up the biggest pile of brush depends on if you want it crushed. I can pick up single branch at time with it and I can drag stuff away from buildings with the uppers. I do believe the learning curve is greater

/ Grapples: LP SGC0660 vs EA Wicked 55 #7  
Hoping to order a B2650 soon and while I previously didn't think it was worth it to me, I've decided a grapple would be worthwhile to have. I highly doubt I'll ever be using it as a root rake. I mainly just want it for grabbing and moving brush and limbs, and assist with firewood prep. I'll probably think of other uses once I have it, but that's the bulk of it.

------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

I have had both styles and for your uses you will definitely like the flat bottom style better than the claw/clamshell style.

I have two flat bottom grapples, one is 44" wide the other is 72" wide.

/ Grapples: LP SGC0660 vs EA Wicked 55
Thanks guys. I'm definitely liking what I see and read about the EA grapples. One thing I liked about the EA over the LP before I even really looked into them was that the EA had serrations on the teeth.

Interesting comment about the flat bottom grapples vs the claw/clamshell style. I felt pretty confident that the claw/clamshell is what I'd want. Why would the flat bottoms work better for my purpose? One advantage I could see is maybe it would be easier to place logs where I want say in a truck bed or on a trailer. But on the other hand, it puts the weight farther from the loader reducing what it can pick up. And also just based on the pics I'm looking at, it seems like if you'd want to grab a log that's too small, you couldn't actually clamp down on it?

/ Grapples: LP SGC0660 vs EA Wicked 55 #9  
Cool thing is that our Full Wicked Lineup contains both grapple styles, long bottom and short, which enables me to line someone up with the *Most Ideal* grapple for their tractor and application.
Wicked Advantage is what I bring!

This thread I created contains information on both styles along with quite a few pics. Which Wicked Grapple? A Guide.
I'm always glad to chat on the phone about grapples. I've been reading, learning, and assisting people with grapples every day for YEARS!!

Even cooler? They're out there creating them a few feet from my office as we speak!! Every day is an adventure.
Travis

Wicked 55 Grapple rakes in process right now!

20190508_065749s.jpg

20190509_081219(0)s.jpg

20190509_081152s.jpg

Wicked 60
is ready for cylinders and hoses!

20190507_133707es.jpg

Original Dual Lid Wicked in the buff.

20190507_170317s.jpg

Wicked Utility Dual Lid

20190507_170427s.jpg

/ Grapples: LP SGC0660 vs EA Wicked 55 #10  
Thanks guys. I'm definitely liking what I see and read about the EA grapples. One thing I liked about the EA over the LP before I even really looked into them was that the EA had serrations on the teeth.

Interesting comment about the flat bottom grapples vs the claw/clamshell style. I felt pretty confident that the claw/clamshell is what I'd want. Why would the flat bottoms work better for my purpose? One advantage I could see is maybe it would be easier to place logs where I want say in a truck bed or on a trailer. But on the other hand, it puts the weight farther from the loader reducing what it can pick up. And also just based on the pics I'm looking at, it seems like if you'd want to grab a log that's too small, you couldn't actually clamp down on it?

These observations are correct. I think it just depends on what you plan on picking up. For me the claw/clam is more useful. I have no problems picking up a bunch of loose brush. I do have to be careful not to break it all in 1/2 though. However with a bit of practice this becomes trivial.