Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #21  
Quaker State is re-branded Shell, not bad oil.
These days most oils are good enough.
Therin lies the rub. As long as the oil meets the required standards it will do the job. A oil that far exceeded standards might be a bit better, but probably not to noticeable.

Personally I stick with SUDT2 as I have a HST. At least in Kubota's it's proven to quiet things down & meets OEM standards. I tend towards synthetics for engine oil for the better cold flow performance as I'm in Colorado, but I shop with a budget & go for the economical (not necessarily cheap) oil that meets the OEM standards.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #22  
Yes, yes and yes.

Buy oil that meets manufacturers recommendations. Premium oil might do a better job, but considering most modern oils are excellent, difference might be marginal.

I pay extra for Amsoil because cost is about $20 more per oil change. The cheapest service you will ever do to your tractor.

Therin lies the rub. As long as the oil meets the required standards it will do the job. A oil that far exceeded standards might be a bit better, but probably not to noticeable.

Personally I stick with SUDT2 as I have a HST. At least in Kubota's it's proven to quiet things down & meets OEM standards. I tend towards synthetics for engine oil for the better cold flow performance as I'm in Colorado, but I shop with a budget & go for the economical (not necessarily cheap) oil that meets the OEM standards.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2
Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning toward Amsoil since it's the only full synthetic available and the viscosity index seems to back it up.

Since there are no specs at all on the Kubota and NH, I'm half inclined to buy a quart of each and take it into the lab at work and measure viscosity at 40C and 100C. That would allow a viscosity index calculation and just how "synthetic" these fluids really are.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #24  
Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning toward Amsoil since it's the only full synthetic available and the viscosity index seems to back it up.

Since there are no specs at all on the Kubota and NH, I'm half inclined to buy a quart of each and take it into the lab at work and measure viscosity at 40C and 100C. That would allow a viscosity index calculation and just how "synthetic" these fluids really are.
There are a ton of specs when you start getting into it. Lots have to do with various additives & stuff more than just viscosity.

Synthetic means based off man made compounds, as opposed to natural or dead dinosaurs. Synthetic tends to have more stable & consistent compounds, but not always. And to meet the legal definition of synthetic in the US, there can be a suprising amount of non-synthetic oil in there,

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2
There are a ton of specs when you start getting into it. Lots have to do with various additives & stuff more than just viscosity.
I'm well aware of that possibility but can you provide those specs for Kubota and NH fluids? (I didn't think so).

Synthetic means based off man made compounds, as opposed to natural or dead dinosaurs. Synthetic tends to have more stable & consistent compounds, but not always. And to meet the legal definition of synthetic in the US, there can be a suprising amount of non-synthetic oil in there,

Synthetic is really not a useful word, except when used to exclude conventional fluids. Some people get their knickers in a bunch about Group III or Group IV or whatever base stocks, others focus on the elimination of paraffins, and others just focus on the performance. Since I stated in the first post that I'm most interested in cold performance, the key factors are viscosity and viscosity index. Fortunately viscosity is also easier to measure for fluids that have private performance specs.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #26  
I don't know what was in my New Holland when I bought it. It was new fluid, but cheap stuff, I'm sure. I bought SUDT last week to replace it. The three point moves much faster in cold weather and my hydraulic pump is quieter. Also, the HST is happier and warms up faster.

As I understand it, SUDT is synthetic. I would have bought the Amsoil, because it lists the NH spec, but i found similar pricing to you. In my case it would have cost an extra $100 to use Amsoil. Everything I've read about the SUDT made me feel comfortable using it, and my NH/Kubota parts guy agreed that it was fine

Good luck with your decision, and let us know what you end up with.
SUDT is made for Kubota by Ashland oil which owns the Valvoline trademark. It's a good value for what it is priced. Amsoil is ONLY worth the cost if your application and useage allows you to extend the intervals significantly beyond what the manufacturer advises. Only oil analysis can accurately tell you what you can safely extend them to. I run a comparable HST fluid to Amsoil and have been able to triple the recommended service intervals based upon oil analysis. If I were going to stay with the advised interval I would not spend the additional cash for the fluid.
Unfortunately, due to fuel dilution associated with many newer DI diesel engines; it's difficult to extend engine oil intervals regardless of the oil used.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #27  
I'm well aware of that possibility but can you provide those specs for Kubota and NH fluids? (I didn't think so).

Kubota provides the specs for it's SUDT2. I suspect NH does as well.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #28  
Interesting discussion. I currently have Amsoil hydraulic oil in my tractor and it no longer whines during sub 0 starts and the hydraulics are responsive even in cold weather.

I am not a loyal Amsoil user and have not purchased any of thier motor oil in years but I have used their products over the years with nothing but good results. The gear oil is amazing as it looks new after 100k and I've also had good luck with transmissions using thier ATF. Currently at 220k on a factory tranny on my dodge.

Every now an then you will find someone with an Amsoil "Horror Story" but from what I have seen none are really able to backup thier claims with any proof and they almost always seem to have been a former dealer. My guess is much of the issues has to do with the financial side of Amsoil and them not making much money as a "dealer" as I have never found any proof of widespread issues and every oil comparison I have read had amsoil among the best. Anyhow it seems more like they have an axe to grind more than actual proof of oil failing to perform. I've never had a bad experience with a synthetic oil. I use Delvac now primarily or Rotella if it's on sale.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #30  
Can you be more specific?

David
Schaeffer Simplex Supreme. #315 . It's a blend of PAO and group II+ base oils. I have nothing against Amsoil or the SUDT oils. Both are good fluids. I just have had great results from the 315 fluid at a lower initial cost over Amsoil. 900HR intervals in my 3 Kubotas using it. I also have a good relationship with my local Schaeffer dealer. If I ever had to stay close to the Kubota suggested interval I would just buy the UDT/SUDT and be done with it.
The word "synthetic" is probably the most useless word in relation to oils anymore. Any hydrocracked mineral oil can be legally labelled as a synthetic oil. That's basically what you're buying when you go to your local Wally World and choose your favorite brand of synthetic oil. Even Amsoil is blending hydrocracked mineral oils into their PAO base stocks. There is no such thing as a 100% pure PAO engine oil or transmission oil today. All are blends consisting of hydrocracked mineral oil or ester-based oils. I've seen one fishing fleet run amazingly long intervals on a group II mineral oil simply because the oil had the very best additive package money could buy and because the power units run non-stop.
SUDT is a good value. Anything Ashland Oil puts out is generally a good value for factory recommended intervals. I wouldn't argue over fluid choices in a Kubota. Their equipment runs on fluids in 3rd world countries that we wouldn't start a fire with here in the USA.