Put a vertical exhaust stack on my CUT

/ Put a vertical exhaust stack on my CUT #11  
Interestingly, one of my M9's has the through the hood vertical exhaust and my other one has the optional down exhaust the exits just in front of the loader frame and turns outward and I actually prefer it over the vertical exhaust pipe. Maybe my smeller is dead at 72 years old but I've never smelled it on either. I do know that a T4 final exhaust can and will stink of the system isn't dosing (diesel exhaust fluid) properly which isn't an issue on little tractors like yours but is on my larger units.

/ Put a vertical exhaust stack on my CUT #12  
My lil' ol' 3005 had the bucket-blackening lower-front exhaust exit... after I built a roll cage with limb risers, I ran the exhaust pipe up one of the limb risers to exit over the top of the roof panel. Safe from tree branch damage, no fumes in my face. Can't find a good picture to share at the moment... it is somewhat visible here, running up the left side riser.
20200527_120545.jpg

/ Put a vertical exhaust stack on my CUT #13  
I have two Fords from the 50’s and much prefer the one with exhaust piped to the rear… it’s a pleasure to operate all day.

That said I generally don a respirator for most tractor work… all mine are open cab.

/ Put a vertical exhaust stack on my CUT #14  
I have two Fords from the 50’s and much prefer the one with exhaust piped to the rear… it’s a pleasure to operate all day.

That said I generally don a respirator for most tractor work… all mine are open cab.
I agree with the rear exit sentiment... dad's ol' Massey 135 diesel has that, you dont notice the exhaust during operation. The exception is when hooking up 3PH implements, as the tractor has some age on it and injectors wear, the fumes in your face hooking up the PTO are obnoxious. Obviously, shutting down the motor would solve that issue, but I tolerate it the infrequent times I use it, as I prefer to not stop/start diesel engines afew minutes apart any more than necessary.

/ Put a vertical exhaust stack on my CUT #15  
Looks very good. I wonder about the same things you did. My M5640 with it's external EGR valve is kinda smoky at times. What kthompson and oldnslo say makes sense though.

gg

Our Kubota M59 uses the same engine - the V2403 4 cylinder - that your M5640 does. The interim Tier IV with the external EGR valve. Clever, but sooty. So I'd agree, "kinda smoky at times" would describe it. So would "Very Smoky at Other Times".
I try to ignore it, but sometimes that's hard to do. I confess that I haven't done the recommended muffler cleaning service like it says in the owner's manual.

Anyway, I've meant to do the same vertical exhaust mod for way too many years now. My hat's off to SmallChange for actually doing it.
rScotty

/ Put a vertical exhaust stack on my CUT #16  
it is somewhat visible here, running up the left side riser.

Saw it instantly. Actually, I saw it before reading your commentary as I was suspecting you had done something like that. Well done!

/ Put a vertical exhaust stack on my CUT
I also believe tilt up hoods benefit from horizontal exhaust.
No doubt. Horizontal exhausts pretty much leave the hood untouched.

My old Kubota had vertical exhaust that came off the exhaust manifold, passed through the side of the engine housing, and curved upward. There was a little panel in the side of the engine housing between the exhaust and its top edge, held on with two bolts, to allow removing that side of the engine housing. It worked, but obviously was a little more trouble, both to manufacture and to service the side of the engine. On that machine, the hood was hinged at the front, and was above the engine without covering its sides; the sides of the housing covered the sides of the engine and were independently removable which I did from time to time.

The new tractor hood covers the sides of the engine as well as the top, and hinges just in front of the instrument panel. On this conversion, I cut off the exhaust pipe at a location where it's running straight downward, hidden by the hood. Since the flex tubing makes a U turn below the bottom edge of the hood, it doesn't interfere with the hood at all.

I also like that there's a trap there, like a sink trap. If somehow it did get several inches of rain, it would fill up this U turn for a long time, then the horizontal muffler under the hood, before it got into the engine. I always disliked the old Kubota exhaust design that would funnel rain water into the exhaust manifold eventually. I bought it used, and it always looked like it was rode hard and put away wet. The first time we started it in the dealer's back lot where it was stored, a bit of water flew out of the exhaust.

/ Put a vertical exhaust stack on my CUT #18  
I sure like the exhaust to be tucked away so it is not in the way and not in my view. I never had an issue with the Deere or NH tractors but the Cub Cadet I do smell once in a while (straight out the front). The Toolcat exhaust pipe feeds into a much larger elbow pipe (loose fitting) that directs the gases while also mixing with clean air.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynomax-4109...=&hvlocphy=9018912&hvtargid=pla-1021065972152

/ Put a vertical exhaust stack on my CUT #19  
My lil' ol' 3005 had the bucket-blackening lower-front exhaust exit... after I built a roll cage with limb risers, I ran the exhaust pipe up one of the limb risers to exit over the top of the roof panel. Safe from tree branch damage, no fumes in my face. Can't find a good picture to share at the moment... it is somewhat visible here, running up the left side riser. View attachment 763060

This is what I should do. Since I stole a lot of your roll cage ideas I might as well take your exhaust ideas too. Thanks.

gg

/ Put a vertical exhaust stack on my CUT #20  
My lil' ol' 3005 had the bucket-blackening lower-front exhaust exit... after I built a roll cage with limb risers, I ran the exhaust pipe up one of the limb risers to exit over the top of the roof panel. Safe from tree branch damage, no fumes in my face. Can't find a good picture to share at the moment... it is somewhat visible here, running up the left side riser. View attachment 763060

How do you get the hood open?