3 pt Conversion - measurements needed

/ 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed #31  
Re: 3 pt Conversion - Project Wrapup

<font color=blue>I use about 185gal. of mix to do all 5 acs.</font color=blue>

That's better, Von. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Now we're talking about 37 gallons / acre.

When I was using my backpack sprayer with Roundup last year, I experimented a little bit with covereage. Using about a 1.5% mixture, I varied the amount I applied to different sections of several acres. On the heavy side, I used a coarse spray that left the grasses and broadleaf weeds glistening, even dripping with the liquid. On the light side, I used a very fine mist and was careful to not hit any portion of the weeds more than once. The latter, of course, gave me a lot of coverage, but required zero-wind conditions.

2 to 3 weeks later, they were all dead. You couldn't tell which area got how much spray.

My conclusion is that, at least with Roundup, I would have to really keep that tractor moving to get the most out of a tankful of mixture. That's okay with me, but I'm wondering just how easy it will be to maintain decent control of the spray. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

I'd be curious to know just what weed killer you use. You got a name for it?

In the meantime, I'll keep looking around at sprayer units. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed #32  

Harv,
You can control the amount and shape of the spray with the tips and the pressure that you use. I can't remember the name on the stuff that we use. It is a broad leaf weed killer that does not hurt the grass and contains 2-4D as its main ingredent. 2-4D is a salt that kills rats in Calif. so do be careful! But to be serious for a second it is nasty stuff if not handled right, just need to use common sense. It will leave the grass so this might not work for you, and round-up may be the better choice. If you have any questions just ask, be glad to help.

18-30445-von.gif

/ 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed #33  

"YIKES!!! That's up to 100 gallons per acre"

Yup, sounds like alot, but for each 25 gallons of water, I only add 1 cup of weed killer. I forget the name of the stuff I'm using (summer was a long way off /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif), but maybe I should try something a bit stronger?

Von, The stuff you're using looks like what I need! When you get a chance, can you check what percentage of 24-D it is? What are the rest of you using for a broadleaf weed killer?

Jerry
<font color=orange>SE Minnesota</font color=orange><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by gfsimon on 02/21/01 07:45 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed

Harv,

With a quote for $1100 in one hand I can see where $459 looks good! (sort of /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif)
I use my sprayer for 3 things;
1)Spraying apple trees for bugs and the lawn for bugs - they are BAD in Wisconsin/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif
2) Spraying fertilizer and broadleaf killer on the lawn and around said trees
3) spraying roundup on the trails on my timber land

Here's the "hot tip", after spraying roundup, purge the hand sprayer and hose BEFORE your apply fertilizer to your wifes flower garden. (don't ask)

I like the smaller boom and only 2 nozzles. It could be a pain when spraying a big field but I don't do that! But when spraying around trees, I get minimal overlap and on trails, they cover a 6' wide area same as 1/2 the trail. I can also do smaller paths and not wipe out the whole forrest.

If you do get the 10' boom, you could add hand operated valves to allow only one (1) nozzle on the outside edge to spray. If you are clever (and bored), you could make a manifold and valve each nozzle to custom your output pattern to the job at hand. Say, that's a good idea! I think I will add that to mine! Thanks Harv /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif!

I did notice a recurring theme between tractors and sprayers on this board. "Bigger is better, as long as it physically fits your land!"

Best of luck,
John Bud

/ 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed #35  

<font color=blue>after spraying roundup, purge the hand sprayer and hose BEFORE your apply fertilizer to your wifes flower garden. (don't ask)</font color=blue>

Okay, I won't ask, but it's only 'cuz I can't stop laughing. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

... laughing because it was you and not me!

<font color=blue>Say, that's a good idea! I think I will add that to mine! Thanks Harv! </font color=blue>

Uhhhh ... you're welcome? /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

<font color=blue>a recurring theme between tractors and sprayers on this board. "Bigger is better"</font color=blue>

I wish you hadn't said that! I started out with 20 gallons in mind, then 30 and now 55. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

I'm now afraid to buy small for two reasons -- 1, I may not get as good coverage as I originally thought, and 2, if it works out well, I will probably start spraying more and more of my 42 acres. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Thanks for all your input, John!

HarvSig.gif

/ 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed #36  

With all this talk about electric sprayers, there's one factor that may, or may not, make a difference to you, and that is that the 12 volt pumps put out about 60 psi, great for most purposes, but will not spray high enough for most trees of any size. When my brother bought his Kawasaki Mule a few years ago, he also got a 50 gallon spray rig, long hose and wand (about 50' of hose I think), 5 nozzle, 8' boom on the rear, pressure gauge, valves to switch from wand to boom and to regulate pressure, trailer type with pneumatic tires and 1 7/8" ball hitch. It's a great little rig for pulling behind his Mule or my Kubota except for the fact that you can only get about 20 up the trees. I think he paid about $500 for it; has the Kawaski name on it, but made in the USA for Kawasaki. It uses a ShurFlow (don't think that's the right spelling) pump that's just like the water pumps used in a lot of RVs.

Bird

/ 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed #37  

Bird -

Thanks for the caution about spraying trees with an electric pump. That never occurred to me.

The good news is that in my case it doesn't matter. Although my dad did have a nut tree orchard and some scattered fruit trees, they're all but gone now. It seems they couldn't handle the natural environment without some serious help, and during the last two years before his death, Pop had to pretty much neglect them. By the time it was my turn, it was a matter of where to stack the dead wood. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Your brother's rig sounds just about perfect for my needs. I'd turn it into a 3-pt'er, like John Bud did, and I'm still waffling on the best length for the boom, but if your brother decides he doesn't want it any more and one of you happens to be passing through California ... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

BTW - It's "Shurflo" (you couldn't have gotten much closer without actually nailing it), and the brochure says they put out about 50 psi.

HarvSig.gif

/ 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed #38  

Harv,

I saw what you need at the Farm Show a few weeks back.

It was a tractor that looked like a big bug out of a Spielberg movie. The thing was big and yellowish colored. It had four big Ag tires at least six feet tall with a large cab coverd in glass. The tractor must have been 20 feet long and had spray arms that covered 100 feet of ground in a pass! I'm telling ya it looked like some Atomic Experment Gone Wrong and nows its in a 1950's movie! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I think you really need this! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

There actually was a farmer there who had just bought one with the 100 foot spread. It may have had a spread 10-20 feet beyond 100 but it was huge no matter what the actual size. It most be some serious Dollars!

Hope this helps! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Dan McCarty

/ 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed #39  

Harv, you'd think after owning 3 or 4 and rebuilding a couple, I'd have remembered how to spell it, wouldn't you?/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed #40  

<font color=blue>it looked like some Atomic Experment Gone Wrong</font color=blue>

Thanks, Dan! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I'm gonna put that one on my wish list right after the Unimog. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

And Bird - if I had to choose between being able to spell it right and being able to rebuild it, I'd throw the whole alphabet out the window. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif