3 pt Conversion - measurements needed

/ 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed #21  
john_bud,
Looks like you got it all figure out...great work!

What do you suggest the best food etc.. for wild apple trees,for I have couple that looks if there lacking something in there diet.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed
Re: 3 pt Conversion - Project Wrapup

Hi,
I finally got the last bit of painting and had some time to re-assemble the sprayer after painting. The mechanicals are all back together and everything looks pretty good. The tractor picks it up fine, too. I don't have the plumbing re-connected yet. There are some details to be figured out to allow control from the tractor seat. A buddy at work also suggested that being able to select left nozzle, right nozzle or both for spraying may be handy too. I may add that later.

While I make no claims to being a welder or fabricator, this came out ok. Hopefully, there may be some inspiration for other in the photos....

John Bud

Last edited:
   / 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed #23  

I like it John Bud! If possible I'd sure like to see some pics with it attached to the tractor when you're fininshed. I'm gonna need something similar soon and sure like seeing others projects to help with my own.

Thanks for sharing!

Larry...

/ 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed #24  

Looks mighty fine to me, John! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

That left/right option seems like a must, at least for what I have to do. A good chunk of what I need to spray includes a narrow strip between the fence and the road. I'll have to be on the road, spraying as far to the right as I can.

BTW -- I'm running real short on tinkerin' time these days, so I might wind up just buying a unit from the dealer. I'm using a new dealer now (mostly 'cuz the other one went out of business), and these guys have all the pieces and parts to make just about any sprayer configuration you could ask for. Haven't talked turkey yet, but I think they can bring it in for under $500 for a 25-gallon, electric pump w/10-foot boom.

You made it look like so much fun I was looking forward to the project, but the weeds will be here soon in Californy, so I gotta be ready.

I'll be anxious to see some real live "action" shots of your machine. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

Harv,

Did you say $500 or an electric pump unit? Ouch! I would want to really investigate the power of the electric pump if I were you. A 10 ft boom would need what, 4 or 5 spray heads? That's a bunch of fluid, will the pump be able to handle it? Flow and pressure are both needed in the right proportions. Did you consider using the PTO to power the pump? The retail price on a 540 RPM roller pump similar to what I have is about $70 locally. Also, the 25 gal is very small for a 10 ft boom. I can go about 30 min with mine and I have a 30 gal tank and only a 5 ft boom. If everything is equal, you would go dry in under 15 min! That's a drag /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif.

I have made an assumption that you are a "computer guy" /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif, so here is a link to the company that made my sprayer. They have prices for systems from small to huge and they sell individual parts. May be a good reference for you...
Oh, mine was about 35% lower than the listed price at my local Farm&Fleet store, bought 4 years ago.

http://www.broyhill.com

I was actually going to make mine PTO driven, but buying the new pump or making a pulley system for the old one, and the price of the 3pt drive shaft didn't seem like a good buy. Not when I have a 3 hp engine that works fine. Now, if it ever fails.....

Best of luck!
John Bud

Harv,

Here are two Broyhill sprayers. One electric and one gas engine powered. The gas one is a slightly more modern unit than mine.

John Bud

Last edited:
   / 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed #27  

John -

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I should check into Broyhill.

I haven't gotten any firm prices from my dealer, but I think the ballpark estimates went something like:

30 gallon poly tank w/12VDC pump, hose and wand = $250
9 or 10-foot boom = $100
3-pt mounting jig = $75

That's $425, plus good ol' 8% California sales tax = $459.

I think I asked for a 25 gallon tank, but in fact 30 gallons is what they offer. Attached is a picture of some units offered from a California outfit called "PBM Supply & Mfg., Inc.".

My intention is just to spray about 2 to 3 acres of weeds immediately surrounding the home structures on our 42 acres. For the past couple of years I've been doing this with my 4 gallon Solo backpack sprayer, and I have to fill it up 5 or 6 times to get the job done. Hmmmmm... That doesn't include that fence line I talked about earlier. You're right -- even 30 gallons may be cutting it a little close if I want to do it all in a single pass.

I'm also wondering about just how efficient I'm going to be with a tractor-mounted boom sprayer. When I did it by hand, of course, I had total control over how much I applied, and I certainly didn't spray anything that didn't need it. What has your experience been?

BTW - when I asked my last dealer to find me the best price on a small PTO-driven sprayer, he came back with a quote of $1,100. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif That's when I started looking at the electrics. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

HarvSig.gif

Attachments

• 37-34351-Sprayers.jpg
    37-34351-Sprayers.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 127
   / 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed #28  

Harv, I couldn't understand how you could use 4 gallon sprayer and only fill it 5-6 times for 2-3 acres. Until I read: "I certainly didn't spray anything that didn't need it". That's the key. I have a 25 gallon electric sprayer that I use on my 3 acres of grass. Depending on ground speed, I usually have to fill the sprayer 8-12 times. The problem with boom sprayers is they spray everything - good for fertilizer, bad for weed control. Personally, I wouldn't purchase anything less than a 50 gallon sprayer (which I am currently searching for). Anybody in the MN area want to buy a 25 gallon sprayer /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Jerry
<font color=orange>SE Minnesota</font color=orange>

/ 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed #29  

<font color=blue>I have a 25 gallon electric sprayer that I use on my 3 acres of grass.</font color=blue>
<font color=blue>I usually have to fill the sprayer 8-12 times</font color=blue>

YIKES!!! That's up to 100 gallons per acre, or 12 times as much as I'm using now!!! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

If those numbers are correct, Jerry, the cost of the sprayer will be the least of my expenses. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Regardless, I'm starting to believe that the next size up (55 gallons) might be a better investment.

HarvSig.gif

/ 3 pt Conversion - measurements needed #30  

Harv,
I think Quality Farm & Country sells a 55 gal. 3pt. sprayer for $390 with a handgun kit for an extra $70. The pump is extra, but they can be had for about $65. This way you don't have to make anything. I use a neighbors 300gal. boom sprayer like the ones farmers use to spray broad leaf weed killer. Most of my neighbors use the same sprayer and product, we all have 5ac. lots (all lawn). Cost is about $50.00 for the weed killer and it is the stuff that they spray to control weeds in corn. It works quite well, I spray about once every other year, some do it every year. I use about 185gal. of mix to do all 5 acs. and get a good kill on all weeds. The booms is shorted to cover about 12' so you can get around the trees. If I didn't have use of this sprayer I would get the 55gal 3pt. for sure. Keep searching, you find one cheap out there somewhere.

18-30445-von.gif