Zucchini Recipes

/ Zucchini Recipes #1  

polo1665

Tractor
Branson 3510H, John Deere X750
To go along with Jimmyj's Green Bean and Potato Salad thread, I thought I would solicite some zucchini recipes from the ladies and gentlemen here at TBN. My cup runneth over with zucchini. Tonight we grated about 45 cups and froze it. I'll make zucchini bread with it when we run out of the eight loaves I made last week:D.
The plants are still producing, and rather than give them all away I would like to hear some good recipes to try. As a gesture of good faith, I will start with a recipe that I made tonight. It was pretty tasty and went well with the boneless country ribs I made on the grill.

Ingredients:

4 cups water
3 cups zucchini chopped or diced
3 eggs, beaten
1 small onion (diced)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups club crackers (crushed)
2 tblsp butter cut into small chunks

Boil 4 cups water and add zucchini when water boils, reduce heat and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender.
Drain boiled zucchini in colander.
While zucchini is draining, press crushed crackers into the bottom of a 9X9 baking dish and spread butter chunks over cracker crumbs.
Spoon drained zucchini on top of cracker crumbs and butter chunks.
Mix together beaten eggs, diced onion, milk, 2/3 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper. Pour this mixture over the zucchini in the 9X9 dish. Top with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese and the parmesan cheese and bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown on the edges.

Hope I didn't forget anything, enjoy:D

Mark

/ Zucchini Recipes #3  
Gonna try that 1st recipe :D

My easy griller recipe, goes w/grilled anything...
Wash up 1 or 2 zuccini
Slice lengthwise into quarters
Coat all surfaces w/virgin olive oil
Coat all surfaces w/a dusting of season salt
Place on medium heat grill for 15 minutes, 5 minute per side or until it's just about soft.

re. side note. My zuccini were going great then the plants started to die off one by one. I believe it was due to a cucumber beetle infestation as the Cuc's did the same. As did the pumpkins that were nearby......
I went straight organic this past yr but intend on using the liquid Sevin next season.

/ Zucchini Recipes #4  
Remember that August 8th is "Sneak some extra Zucchini onto your neighbor's porch" night :) With the way our garden has been producing, we need more neighbors!

Mike

/ Zucchini Recipes
Gonna try that 1st recipe :D

My easy griller recipe, goes w/grilled anything...
Wash up 1 or 2 zuccini
Slice lengthwise into quarters
Coat all surfaces w/virgin olive oil
Coat all surfaces w/a dusting of season salt
Place on medium heat grill for 15 minutes, 5 minute per side or until it's just about soft.

re. side note. My zuccini were going great then the plants started to die off one by one. I believe it was due to a cucumber beetle infestation as the Cuc's did the same. As did the pumpkins that were nearby......
I went straight organic this past yr but intend on using the liquid Sevin next season.

The recipe sounds good. :D

My cucumbers, pickling cukes and cantaloupe plants all have fallen prey to what I believe is verticillium wilt. Verticillium wilt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Has not effected the nearby watermelon, zucchini, or tomatoes as I believe that they are resistant varieties. Leaves just started turning brown and went down hill from there. They say there is nothing you can do other than to get resistant plants.

Mark

/ Zucchini Recipes
Wife made these fried cakes the other night and I really liked 'em.

Cooks.com - Recipe - Zucchini Fry Cakes

Just got done reading that recipe and it will be on the "to do" list for this week. Sure sounds good, thanks:).

Remember that August 8th is "Sneak some extra Zucchini onto your neighbor's porch" night :) With the way our garden has been producing, we need more neighbors!

Mike

I hear that. Between freezing and giving away I'm in control for a few more days. I've got one growing now that I am going to let go. Going for the new world's record. I'll post a pick when it gets a little bigger.

Mark

/ Zucchini Recipes #7  
The recipe sounds good. :D

My cucumbers, pickling cukes and cantaloupe plants all have fallen prey to what I believe is verticillium wilt. Verticillium wilt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Has not effected the nearby watermelon, zucchini, or tomatoes as I believe that they are resistant varieties. Leaves just started turning brown and went down hill from there. They say there is nothing you can do other than to get resistant plants.

Mark

Mark, I never saw cucumber beetles on my plants this year, but I dd see lots of squash bugs and sprayed Sevin when they would appear. Even so all my yellow squash plants have been slowly getting a wilting disease and dying. I'm down to the last two plants. Some yellow squash plants I bought at Walmart were the first to show signs of the wilt and then it slowly spread to the other plants. I reduced the spread by pulling the wilting plants and putting them about 25 feet from the healthy plants. Very hot temperatures seem to cause the disease to spread even quicker. All squash, cucumbers, cantaloupe, and watermelons are curcubits and subject to this disease. Here's a pdf file that describes the disease and a link to the Alabama IPM site with info on squash.

Curcubit Bacterial Wilt

Curcubit Diseases

/ Zucchini Recipes #8  
We have so much "Zucchini" right now that we can't use it all... We have gave a lot away at church.

My wife also canned some "Zucchini" in pineapple.... That's the first time she has tried that, and she opened a jar yesterday and said it was good like that.... But it will taste better after several weeks after being canned.

If anyone is interested in these recipes let me know.

• Chocolate Zucchini Cake.
  • Zucchini Parmesan.
  • Zucchini Casserole.
  • Zucchini Patties.

/ Zucchini Recipes #9  
Hey Bill, how 'bout posting that parmesan recipe, I have a soft spot for cheese of any kind and it sounds yummy.

All of these sound yummy, sidebar, for the first time in my life I'm starting to gain weight! Old age I guess.

/ Zucchini Recipes
Mark, I never saw cucumber beetles on my plants this year, but I dd see lots of squash bugs and sprayed Sevin when they would appear. Even so all my yellow squash plants have been slowly getting a wilting disease and dying. I'm down to the last two plants. Some yellow squash plants I bought at Walmart were the first to show signs of the wilt and then it slowly spread to the other plants. I reduced the spread by pulling the wilting plants and putting them about 25 feet from the healthy plants. Very hot temperatures seem to cause the disease to spread even quicker. All squash, cucumbers, cantaloupe, and watermelons are curcubits and subject to this disease. Here's a pdf file that describes the disease and a link to the Alabama IPM site with info on squash.

Curcubit Bacterial Wilt

Curcubit Diseases

Thanks for that link Jim, it's something else to think about. Like you, I have not seen any beetles, but the symptoms on my plants are identicle to the link info. I'll have to read up some more. I'm still getting some cukes, but it won't be long before they are done.