Zetor Oil Leak

/ Zetor Oil Leak #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
Hi
I have a 1985 Zetor 5245 - bought it new and it has about 1500 hours on it.
A couple of weeks ago I was blowing snow - heavy snow but not any more than I had done in the past. As I approached the woodlot about 2/3 of a mile from the house I started to smell oil burning and could see smoke on the left side (from driver's seat) of the motor. I shut down, looked things over and decided I would try to get the tractor back to the barn as gently as possible. No smoke or oil evident on the way back. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I looked under the hood and thought it looked like there might be a leak at the power steering pump. Now I am not so sure. I had to be away for a week and when I got back I checked oil levels (all normal) so I started it up again. In a few minutes oil was dripping down on the front differential then to the ground. Nothing evident at the PS Pump. I am afraid this sounds expensive but am hoping it may not be. I am not much of a mechanic but am looking for things I might check further before paying the "big bucks" to a service mechanic.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks
Bob

/ Zetor Oil Leak #2  
Bob
I do not know if it will make a difference that you are in Canada (different distributor) but in the states you can call American Jawa at 717-540-5618 and press the button for Peter in service. You will have to leave a message but most times he will get back to you within 2 hours.
Good Luck
Chipperman

/ Zetor Oil Leak
Thanks Chipperman and Woodbeef

I will call Peter once I get the Zetor in a heated shop where we can have a better look and ask a more specific question.

Woodbeef - haven't had any time to play with the Massey but Spring is a-comin' - he said hopefully. I did post on Zetor world and got a couple of good ideas - thanks.

Bob

/ Zetor Oil Leak
I think I found my oil leak on the 5245. I believe it is a bad "O" ring on the power steering pump connection.
I went to TSC this afternoon to get some SAE20 Hydraulic Oil (as specified in the Owners Manual) and they did not have any of that weight.

I bought 4 litres of Castrol ISO 32 A.W Hydraulic Oil (no SAE numbers on the jug) and I want to know if anyone can tell me if using this might cause any problems.

Thanks
Bob

/ Zetor Oil Leak #6  
hey Bob,

So you have found the culprit,eh?

I've never actually heard of 20 weight hydraulic oil. But it is probably like most powersteering systems and uses auto tranny fluid. The 32 weight should work,just as long as the sytems has been drained. I'd ask Renze though to be sure.