Zert / Zerk Fitting issues

/ Zert / Zerk Fitting issues #1  

Artisan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I do not deal w/ this stuff daily, I hope a couple of you can steer me straight. I have a device w/ 6 Zert fittings in it and the OEM drilled the holes for the zert fittings to big and there falling out. The holes are drilled to .375 - .379" or so inches .

Is there a Zert bigger than this assumed 1/8" unit, if so what is that size, exactly what size drill bit should I use for what tap, please...

Who make sthe BEST zert fittings?

I just do not deal w/ this stuff enough to know.

TIA!

/ Zert / Zerk Fitting issues #2  
Zerk fittings come in a variety of thread sizes. Some are pipe threads and some are bolt threads.

In your case you might go to the local tractor supply or auto parts store and find ones with the next larger size thread. Then you could drill and tap the hole to that thread size and be all set.

/ Zert / Zerk Fitting issues #3  
might check for metric sizes of grease zerts. try a bolt and screw supply house.

/ Zert / Zerk Fitting issues
Well, ummmmm, errrr yes, but, and, but-some-however, except I was gonna and the sun is still in my eyes ...... :laughing:

I am trying to be exacting w/o going the "try this and try that" route, although I may have to do it.

I remeasured and all holes average .383" in diameter. I can drill bigger if needed.

Time passes I keep looking...........

BINGO ( I hope...)

So I found a 1/4-18 NPT thread angled Zerk at grainger and I have a 14-18 tap so if I drill w/ a 7/16" drill bit (.4375) I think I will live.

( I STILL WISH I HAD A LIST OF ALL SIZES AND FLAVORS OR ZERKs NEEDED FOR A BX25 ! )

/ Zert / Zerk Fitting issues #6  
With your ability to measure the size of the holes to 3 decimal places you have a good understanding of tolerences. If the fitting ae falling out they might be a non -threaded drive fit type. This style is not the best as a tight grease gun can pull they out. I have never had a proper threaded grease fitting pull out, the worst case has been in that the hose end had to be yanked off.

Craig Clayton

Craig indeed I learned this morning while reserarching that there are pressed in type zerks. Existing is what I believe to be a 1/4-28 "tapered" zerk and the holes are all drilled straight through.

I am seting up to drill to 7/16" and use a 1/4-18 NPT tap for the Zerks I found at Grainger, "hopeing" I am making the right decision :cool:

/ Zert / Zerk Fitting issues #8  
Yes Steve, I saw that too and I nixed the idea and am going with good old fashion proven NPT threads, it helps I am a little bit familar w/ them from my job. :D

/ Zert / Zerk Fitting issues #10  
Maybe I'm not following correctly. Drilling 7/16" hole for a 1/4" zerk? I suggest pulling one out, going to the parts store and buying the next size larger. Some are even self tapping. If you find the size and thread of tap you need, google it and find out what drill bit you need. Just remember some zerks are pipe threaded so a straight hole isn't going to work out well.