Zero Turn

/ Zero Turn #1  

timkins

Tractor
Cub Cadet Model 2542
Looking at Cub ZT1 42” but am reluctant to take the jump. I purchased a zero turn several years ago and crashed it twice in the 3 weeks I owned it. I have a hilly yard and did not realize that to brake it you had to pull back on the handles as there were no brakes. Has Cub put brakes on the zero turns or do you slow them by reversing the drive train as before?

/ Zero Turn #2  
Last edited:
   / Zero Turn #3  
Looking at Cub ZT1 42” but am reluctant to take the jump. I purchased a zero turn several years ago and crashed it twice in the 3 weeks I owned it. I have a hilly yard and did not realize that to brake it you had to pull back on the handles as there were no brakes. Has Cub put brakes on the zero turns or do you slow them by reversing the drive train as before?
I saw a picture of a Cub on here that had a steering wheel to steer it and forward and reverse pedals and a parking brake. On the Ryobi ZT480e (electric), think the parking brake is it, a parking brake. Have to back it down steeper slopes. Little tricky and backwards thinking to pull back to let it go backwards when you're backing, somehow. Might be even trickery on the Cub because you'd have to keep switching your right foot on a pedal (both pedals were offset to the right) to either go down the slope or apply some forward pedal to stop it. HST might be better at stopping in neutral position than the Ryobi's motors.

I crashed the Ryobi once by skidding on a compound slope and learned not to take it on those if very steep. Actually didn't "crash": skidded into the neighbor's high grass where it leveled out.

/ Zero Turn #4  
I have two Cub zero turns and really hilly places. They work great for me. Main think is you want never try on wet grass! Mostly use the RZT50, lean way over otherwise just straight down where possible. I never pull levers back (spin backwards downhill).
20210617_171613.jpg

/ Zero Turn #6  
I never pull levers back (spin backwards downhill).
Was not suggesting spinning backwards to slow down. Was explaining that the speed is controled by bringing the control arms back towards the operator.

We have a great Dane zero turn commercial mower. I mow some very steep hills and I have complete control of the machine for if I did not, at the bottom, I would get some very nice flying lessons! I creep down the slopes. I have a trail that lets me use a gradual climb to loop around and come back to the slope for a second pass. Cannot climb the slope. The wheels will break and spin every time trying to back up the hill.

I think the OP should practice on some gentle slopes and then move to more aggressive slopes once the control is mastered.

That said, if the hills are such that the machine cannot hold itself back, then another mower is needed.. or perhaps better said would be another mowing technique is needed/recommended.

/ Zero Turn #7  
My ZT is amazing on steep slopes and hillsides...I wouldn’t own anything else for my property...
55274225-9110-49B4-860B-D0F56D49284A.jpeg

/ Zero Turn #8  
Was not suggesting spinning backwards to slow down. Was explaining that the speed is controled by bringing the control arms back towards the operator.

We have a great Dane zero turn commercial mower. I mow some very steep hills and I have complete control of the machine for if I did not, at the bottom, I would get some very nice flying lessons! I creep down the slopes. I have a trail that lets me use a gradual climb to loop around and come back to the slope for a second pass. Cannot climb the slope. The wheels will break and spin every time trying to back up the hill.

I think the OP should practice on some gentle slopes and then move to more aggressive slopes once the control is mastered.

That said, if the hills are such that the machine cannot hold itself back, then another mower is needed.. or perhaps better said would be another mowing technique is needed/recommended.
My RZT if you let go...it stops. Pull back any at all it goes back. Only brake is parking lever I have only used maybe once to slow it down. Z Force zero has forward reverse hydrostatic pedals like the 1250 does.
I mow incredibly steep places with RZT50. I ease over the embankment and ride it out, levers straight up. Sometimes it gains speed by itself. Center of gravity super low.
Even if I bush hog a pasture I go around edge first with zero. No worries of hitting a fence or a creek bank collapsing with weight.

/ Zero Turn #9  
z turn question. i just walked 2 miles, 9am, soaking wet, already!

Better that than cold, imho.

I have a gravely zt with the kawi motor with about 15 hours. about every 2 weeks i guess i must hook up the trailer, load the zt, drive a 2600 ft gravel driveway and cut my semi private driving range, tbn folks welcome.

my buddy who owns an exmark says i should just drive the 2600 ft on the zt, probably less than 10 minutes, cut, then drive back.

anyone have an opinion?

/ Zero Turn #10  
10 minutes round trip isn't going to add any additional wear and tear than mowing for that 10 minutes would. And you would spend almost that or more hooking up/ loading/unloading/ reloading/unloading and unhooking.