Zero turn turf tires

/ Zero turn turf tires #1  

tradosaurus

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HST, heavy duty bucket, 3rd function, R1 tires (rears filled), 2 remotes
   / Zero turn turf tires
Think you'll discover that the Ags will even tear up more than U think.

I've read reviews of guys switching from turf to Ag and it seemed it was the opposite. I'm not really sure which is why I hope someone who has done this will chime in with their experience.

/ Zero turn turf tires #4  
I tried turf tires and couldn't get up some of my slopes. The bar style on my Grasshoppers work great, but I can dig some deep ruts if I'm not careful. I get traction on slopes when I need it, and as long as I take it easy on stops and starts, they work really well for me. I just bought a pair of OTR 22 Mag tires from here: OTR 22 Mag Tires | Tires-easy.com. This is the brand that came on my last Grasshopper and they seem a little more aggressive than the Kenda's that are more common.

/ Zero turn turf tires #5  
I have two Dixie choppers.
The diamond type knobby tread tears up turns more than the bar paddle type that is originally installed.
The paddle tires seem to not leave a rut as easily on soft lawn as the diamond tread in straight line running.

/ Zero turn turf tires #7  
It all depends on just what is "tearing" up your lawn.

If slipping and sliding is tearing up your lawn, ag-type tires will fix that issue.

If its rutting up because it is soft and wet.....same size tire regardless of tread is gonna rut just the same.

Look up AT-101 tires. Have them on my ZTR for my hilly property. In some of the wetter areas, standard turf tires would spin. And leave a 20' long smear where I was spinning the whole way. No problem anymore with AT-101's

/ Zero turn turf tires #8  
We have had a Kubota ZG23 zero turn since 2004. It came with turf tires and I got tired of it getting stuck every few weeks or not making up our steep hills. About 4 years ago I had R1's put on it and they have worked out great. We don't notice any extra lawn damage and it has only been stuck twice in 4 years.

/ Zero turn turf tires #9  
When making turns with a zero turn it is also helpful if you make one drive wheel turn forward and one turn in reverse. This causes less "tearing" than stopping one wheel and having one drive wheel turn.

/ Zero turn turf tires #10  
why the change? more traction on slopes? maybe consider filling rears 1/2 way, fronts all the way (or foam fill).
just a thought