Zero Turn; narrowed it down to Exmark or Scag

/ Zero Turn; narrowed it down to Exmark or Scag #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
I'm considering a new zero turn mower. I want a dependable, commercial quality mower (this is not a commercial application). After researching it a bit I have it narrowed down to either an Exmark or a Scag (based on my local dealers' offerings, reviews, etc). I know there are other good mowers out there but I am comfortable with choosing between these 2 manufacturers.

I currently have a 2001 Yazoo Kees ZT Max w/ a 61" deck and a 25hp Kohler. Bought it used 4 years ago from a neighbor and it's been great. I like the deck size and don't want to go bigger or smaller. I am mowing about 3 acres every week and an additional 3 acres every other week or so depending on rainfall (this year I've been cutting a lot). I also have a 6' Bush Hog for other parts of my property but like to use the zero turn in some areas for a finer cut and due to soft spots.

My 2 choices are (neither are fuel injected):
Exmark Lazer E, 60" deck, 27hp Kohler Command, $8,500 (after a $500 rebate)
Scag Tiger Cat, 61" Velocity deck, 27hp Kawasaki, $8,699

I'm sure both are reliable and deliver a great cut. Any thoughts? Or is it really a toss up?

/ Zero Turn; narrowed it down to Exmark or Scag #2  
If it was my money I would go with the Skag / Kawasaki. I had a Freedom Z ,never an issue , the Tiger Cat is quite a step up from the one I had.

/ Zero Turn; narrowed it down to Exmark or Scag #3  
You did well in your selection.

/ Zero Turn; narrowed it down to Exmark or Scag #4  
I like the Kawasaki engine, it is hard to beat. I can't comment on the mowers themselves.

/ Zero Turn; narrowed it down to Exmark or Scag #5  
I am biased toward eXmark, but I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

Aaron Z

/ Zero Turn; narrowed it down to Exmark or Scag #6  
If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with your current mower? It's only 12 years old and with non-commercial use should have plenty of life yet. Or did the guy you bought it from use it commercially?

/ Zero Turn; narrowed it down to Exmark or Scag
If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with your current mower? It's only 12 years old and with non-commercial use should have plenty of life yet. Or did the guy you bought it from use it commercially?
Good question (my wife is asking the same). The previous owner did not use it commercially. He originally used it to mow about 5+ acres and then moved to a house with 1/2 acre so he sold it. The hour meter has been stuck on 250 hours since I got it and I have no idea how many are on it now. The spindles were replaced about 2 years before I got it. Small problems have been creeping up (in the shop now as it keeps hesitating and stalling out) and there have been fluid leaks on the floor the past 2 winters. I was thinking of upgrading sooner rather than later and hoping the new mower would be my last.... and the new ones are very nice!:)

How many more years would you expect out of it?

/ Zero Turn; narrowed it down to Exmark or Scag #8  
I'm a Kawasaki fan and I own 4 Scag. So my pick should be obvious.

/ Zero Turn; narrowed it down to Exmark or Scag #9  
We have a JD Z-820A with 7 Iron 60" deck that has given us excellent service for almost 4 years but, your choices are great machines as well.

Good luck with your selection.

Rick

/ Zero Turn; narrowed it down to Exmark or Scag #10  
My next door neighbor runs a lawn service and uses Exmark mowers. I don't know anything about the durability of them though.
I prefer the Kawasaki engine over the Kohler. Some models of the Kohler had some major issues a few years back. I suppose they got that fixed but STILL>

If the Kawasaki engine is a FS or FX model then That is the mower I would go with. Likely the Kohler is a good engine, but Kawasaki is better in most folks opinions. I have the 23 HP FS 691V version in my Ferris IS 700 and I like it. It cranks with a touch of the key and with separate choke from the throttle unlike my B&S 26 HP on the Craftsman that requires full throttle to crank and choke and turns several rounds before firing up then you have to rush to get the throttle backed off before it revs wide open at first start. That is not a good system for starting although a lot of lawnmower engines are set up that way.

If the mower is heavy commercial duty, the 27HP Kawasaki should be the FX 751V or FX 801V. You can tell quickly the difference between the light commercial FS version and heavy commercial FX by the intake air cleaner. The FX has a round canister style like tractors have where the FS has a smaller flat square filter that is part of the engine cowling and cant be seen without removal of the cowl plate.
If that is your two choices, I would go with the Scag.