Zerk Size

/ Zerk Size #1  

alexsbuddy

Gold Member
Tractor
LS XG3037 w/ LS LL3109 FEL Kodiak SD5 Mower, Speeco Model 65 PHD, Bush Hog BX-600 Box Blade, Titan 42" Skid Steer Pallet Fork/Hay Spear Combo
Does anyone happen to know the size of the zerks used on the LL3109 FEL? I busted one while greasing and need to replace it. The owner's manual does not list this part. Thanks.

/ Zerk Size #2  
I would not even try to guess the size. There are 3/8 and 1/4 that I'm aware of - probably metric sizes also. What I did - take one off that is in a opposing position - go down to local auto parts store or tractor dealer and see what they can do. When you do find the correct size - buy several. Replacing a grease zerk is not a once in a lifetime event.

/ Zerk Size #3  
TSC has a set of metric zerks with an assortment of sizes. I used a couple on my flail mower today.

/ Zerk Size
Thanks for the replies. Have to take the tractor in for service today (faulty pressure relief valve or controller) and will check with the tech. Will post in case someone else needs to know.

/ Zerk Size
Finally figured it out....they are M10x1.0 grease fittings.

/ Zerk Size #6  
Just removed and cleaned mine, on an XR3037, yesterday.

Yep, they're 10mm's.

Lotsa sand down here in Fla. That fine sand dust gets everywhere.

Especially on the lower FEL Zerks

/ Zerk Size #7  
Not to confuse this issue and if you have found the zerks then the problem is solved but I found a broken zerk on the top of my backhoe. I thought how simple is this to fix and I have stocked all kinds of zerks in my shop for years. Well much to my surprise these are close to a lot of things but not standard of anything that I had or after running around town could find. I ended up at my LS dealer and they showed the part number of the zerk but didn't have one which amazed even them. So I have to get my machine back on the road as I won't use it with out servicing it and out of desperation I took a 1/8" pipe tape - and I'm here to say it was the perfect size - and I retaped that metric thread to the standard ASE thread and it worked perfect. Just offering my idea if you get stuck and you have to grease your machine and finding that perfect 10mm zerk is impossible this is a great work around.
Just wanted to share my idea.

Lisa

/ Zerk Size #8  
While all zerk nipples are the same the attachments vary.
Pipe thread (1/4 or 1/8) straight thread, metric and some tapered press in.
The good news is that they are relatively cheap and even can be had as a 'kit'.
Your best source is a reputable auto parts store. (bring a sample)
OK. add to that some are straight, some 45 deg and then 90 deg. but all share the same 'nipple' end.

/ Zerk Size
Not to confuse this issue and if you have found the zerks then the problem is solved but I found a broken zerk on the top of my backhoe. I thought how simple is this to fix and I have stocked all kinds of zerks in my shop for years. Well much to my surprise these are close to a lot of things but not standard of anything that I had or after running around town could find. I ended up at my LS dealer and they showed the part number of the zerk but didn't have one which amazed even them. So I have to get my machine back on the road as I won't use it with out servicing it and out of desperation I took a 1/8" pipe tape - and I'm here to say it was the perfect size - and I retaped that metric thread to the standard ASE thread and it worked perfect. Just offering my idea if you get stuck and you have to grease your machine and finding that perfect 10mm zerk is impossible this is a great work around.
Just wanted to share my idea.

Lisa
Finding a M10x1.0 straight zerk was a challenge.. My dealer didn't even have any. Fortunately, the local green tractor dealer carries them in stock so I picked up all they had and will pick up a few more when their restock order comes in. Everyone else either had them as part of a multi-size, multi-piece kit or only had the 45 or 90 degree options.

/ Zerk Size
After replacing the zerk I broke, using a conventional grease coupler, I tried out the new LockNLube I had bought and I am a big fan! Easy to use, a lot less mess, and no stress or strain.