ZENA Welder vs ?????

/ ZENA Welder vs ????? #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
I am very much a novice welder and have come across <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zena.net/htdocs/Map.shtml#Top>this site</A> on the ZENA Portable welder. Seems impressive but I don't know enough about welding to know if it is snake oil or the real McCoy - Anybody have one?? Anybody used one?? Comments positive and negative appreciated.

Just doing some research 'cause I know I am going to want some kind of welder once I get more practice in my buddy's shop.

Thanks
Bob

/ ZENA Welder vs ????? #2  
Bob
I don't have one of these but did go through there web site, very impressive.
The price seemed high but then we may hear fom others that this is offest by other benifits.
PJ

/ ZENA Welder vs ????? #3  
Everything I've read has been real positive. The adjustments are on the electrode holder which should make it easier to operate. That you can mount it on most any engine like an alternator means you save money by not having to buy an engine with the welder.

The fact that it doesn't say Lincoln or Miller on the side probably means that as a new technology it won't get acceptance as fast.

FWIW, it looks like it wouldn't be a big deal to add one to my L3710. I'd need to find a double pulley to fit the crank and make up a mounting bracket.

/ ZENA Welder vs ????? #4  
These have been profiled in the Jeep and 4x4 magazines a few times over the last couple years. They got good reviews if I remember corretly. Mostly as a "repair" or "on the road" welder.

I looked at the site rather quickly as I'm at work. Did you see a parice listed anywhere? tia

Mike

/ ZENA Welder vs ?????
Hi Mike
If you click on the various models from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zena.net/htdocs/ordering/order.shtml#Top>this link</A> you should see prices.

Bob

/ ZENA Welder vs ????? #6  
I've seen it, and it seems to be a decent welder.
As far as the controls being on the stinger, well, look at my stingers after a couple years, and for my money I sure don't want or need controls at the stinger.
I also don't like the idea of having to run the truck engine to weld. In most repair welding situations, a lot of time passes between actual welds, and I doubt the truck engine needs the extra wear.
More importantly, I really don't want the hood end of the truck any closer to the welding than I have to have it. Them neat little flying globules from burning rods do a magnificent job on auto windows and windshields. I really don't want to spend the time to cover the windows and cab with a blanket either.
All things said, for a guy who only needs a welder an hour a week or so, and is always able to get his truck right up to the job, it's a nice machine. For a cross country dune racer, it's probably a great machine. For an off roader, again, probably a great machine.
Cost comparison, I think I'd buy a Miller or a Lincoln before I buy one of these. Either of them will outlive the truck in a maintainence application, and they won't be out of service if the truck gets crashed or is in the shop for some reason. I dang sure know if my truck gets crashed I won't be arguing with the adjuster about the repair or replacement of an aftermarket accessory.
I also know I can move the Miller or Lincoln from one truck to another in 5 minutes. How fast can I transferr a Zena?