ZD21

/ ZD21 #1  

milkman

Elite Member
Ky. Between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank
Tractor
BX2200, BCS 735
The wife wants a Zero turn.... so I looked at a used one this week, 2006 W/804 hrs. asking $5000 which I think is too much, I offered $4500 and haven't heard back, it looked good but obviously used. Today we're going to a farm auction and they have a 2001 ZD21 W/141 hrs. My question, what are they going for and what is a fair price? I'd rather have the lower hour one, but haven't seen it yet. They both have the 60" deck.

/ ZD21 #2  
The 06 ZD21 @ 800 hrs for $4-5K is reasonable - new they are $9K - I would bet the 01 at the auction wtih the low hours will be $3500-6000 depending on the bidders present. If you can get a decent ZD21 for less than $4K consider it a great deal.

If they both have the 60" Pro Deck (7 Ga welded deck) thats a plus. Most of these in the 2-500 hour range are going for $5-7K.

/ ZD21 #3  
I just bought a low hour (144) ZD21 with a 60 inch PRO-Deck from Brady Barlow (Barlow Farm Equipment - Somerset KY) - when I went to look they have a lot of used ZD's for sale, great products at great prices (not to mention a great dealer to deal with) and in your state of KY no less!

Attachments

• P1010286.JPG
    P1010286.JPG
    723.1 KB · Views: 458
  • P1010283.JPG
    P1010283.JPG
    726.3 KB · Views: 592
  • P1010295.JPG
    P1010295.JPG
    708.5 KB · Views: 903
   / ZD21
Carl, the '01 at the auction yesterday was in excellent shape, I bid up to $5500 and it sold for $6250 + 10% fee and it was well worth that, just more than I wanted to spend.

jambx, I've thought about going to see Barlow, couple of hours from me. I'll check the '06 W/800 hrs again and if it doesn't work out, I'll have to go to Somerset.

/ ZD21 #5  
Barlows will definitely be worth the trip. They are excellent to deal with. I bought my tractor from them and had it shipped 400 miles. I couldn't be happier about price or service.

/ ZD21
I checked on the '06 W/800 hrs today and he was aware of the low hour
zd that sold Sat at the auction, either I misunderstood his asking price, or he has went up. He's now firm on $5500 for the '06.
I called Barlow's and they have a ZD21 that I will go look at tomorrow, if it's like they describe, I'll bring it home.

/ ZD21
I called Barlow's back Monday and got Steve on the phone this time, he told me different hrs. on the machine than the one I talked to first and said there had been some brackets welded to the deck for some swivel wheel. That kinda put a damper on it for me so I called Joe Hill's in Bardstown and talked to David. I bought my BCS from them back in '87 and have had some dealings with them since so I gave it a shot. David said they had one in the shop that had been traded in, but had to have the transmission update and they were putting in a new PTO clutch and changing the engine oil and filter while they have it down. They're also pressure washing the frame while it's stripped down. I went to look at it Tuesday told him I'd take it when they get it together. He will call when it's ready, probably middle of next week and I'll look at it again and if it's not like I want, I don't have to take it. Now the waiting game.

/ ZD21 #8  
'06 with 800 hours? Must be a commercial machine. My cousin has a ZD21 he's been mowing his 5 acre yard with for some 6 or 7 years and the last time I asked, I don't think he had cracked 300 hours. Not that 800 hours on the engine is bad, but I'm sure it was "worked" in those 800 hours. Not many runs to the mailbox or spring wax jobs.

/ ZD21
I suspected the '06 was a commercial machine and I think the machine has a lot of hours left in it, but they want more than I'm willing to pay as I already have a 60" mower on the BX. The ZD21 that I'm getting from Hill's is an '02 W/ 520hrs. and it will have new hydrostat and PTO clutch and also be serviced so that saves me that expense with a used machine. I talked to the mechanic that is doing the update on the machine and he says the drive system will be like new when I get it so I think I've found my deal.

/ ZD21
Picked up the ZD today, they even filled it with fuel and the only thing I can find that it will need is the two wheels on the front of the deck. The wife should be a happy camper when she gets home , and the price....$3995 I couldn't find another ZD anywhere close to that price.