ZD 326 Blown Head gasket ZD 331 engine swap???

/ ZD 326 Blown Head gasket ZD 331 engine swap??? #1  

Workin Outside

Tractor
L 3400, SCL-1000, ZD326
I just purchased a 600hr ZD 326 60" deck at an online auction... After purchase, found that it had a blown head gasket... It does turn on and run but I'm sure not far without overheating... POS seller listed as "runs"
Now that I am stuck with it for a really really really shiny penny, should I put a 331 engine in it or stay with 26hp... Live down south in H-Town with St. Augustine grass 3+ acres...
Can it be done simply or will it be a pain in the butt swap... I think its the same frame...
"Then again, it might be salvageable..." We wont know until I get it back from my Kubota dealer... I took it there for a quick diagnoses and conformation... They said I had to get a new motor and it would be about 6K... WOW
I don't know if they checked compression on the cylinders or just said there is exhaust coming out of the radiator when you remove the cap...LOL
I will have a friend that is a diesel mechanic look at it in a week or so...

PS... this will replace my Husqvarna MZ6128ZT
Thanks in advance for your input

/ ZD 326 Blown Head gasket ZD 331 engine swap??? #2  
I just purchased a 600hr ZD 326 60" deck at an online auction... After purchase, found that it had a blown head gasket. should I put a 331 engine in it or stay with 26hp
Is there a reason you can't replace the head gasket for a whole lot less $$$'s and move on?

I have a ZD323 with a 60" deck, plenty of power. I cut about 5 acres of mostly rural filed grass and seldom use full throttle except in the spring when the grass is tall, thick, and damp. If you have to replace the engine, would the 23 HP save you money?

Last edited:
   / ZD 326 Blown Head gasket ZD 331 engine swap???
Replacing the head gasket is my best case scenario... At this time, the mower is at the dealer and I owe them for a 1 hour service " look see"... I will be picking it back up first thing Tue morning... I had given them authorization to break the engine open and check the pistons and cylinder walls for damage but I think we can do it at home... As for the swap to a 31 hp "IF" the engine is done, I figured the 5 extra hp's would allow the mower to work at a lower rpm and last my life time as I'm 55...

That was my thought process...

/ ZD 326 Blown Head gasket ZD 331 engine swap??? #4  
Larger engine running at lower speed means mower blades having lower speed or velocity, unless you make modifications.

How low you want to go?

Pull the cylinder head for inspection and see what you got there.
Hopefully all you need is a new head gasket.

/ ZD 326 Blown Head gasket ZD 331 engine swap??? #5  
Not sure there will be that much of a gain. My 326H has a 72" deck with plenty of power. With that said, I am a proponent of more power. If you need an engine, a 331 would be easy but how about sourcing an 1105 turbo? I built a Grasshopper 928D that had a blown up engine. Found a 34hp 1105 Turbo and boy would it run that 72" deck.