Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #1  

SuperiorLakeEffect

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901
Mostly curios about my fellow residential users- those of us who don't claim a tractor as a business expense. How much does a tractor cost you per year?

I only really *need* my tractor for one thing (snowblowing). Kind of curious to run the numbers to see if a tractor is the most financially efficient way to keep my driveway clear.

I run my tractor about 50 hours a year. Assuming a lifespan of 5000 hours for the tractor- well, it should pretty much last forever.

Initial purchase: $32k (L3901 with loader and SB1064 blower, taxes, etc.) In theory, there's a cost to keeping that much money tied up in something but financed at 0% for 84 months it might actually be making me money at current inflation rates. :D

Insurance: Required as part of the 0% financing. I get it through a local agent for $275/year.

Fuel: Maybe 25 gallons if that? $100

Maintenance. I think I paid about $200 for all the filters and oil needed for the 50 hour service. Will need roughly that again every 400 hours. Considering that's like an 8 year service interval, maybe we'll do those things more often and call it $200/year to cover things like grease and beer to consume while greasing the tractor.

So yearly operating costs are cheap: $575/year. About $10/hour.

But how to figure the long terms costs of the tractor? Assume I run it into the ground over 20 years and there's nothing left at the end: $1600/year.

For a grand total of $2175/year or $40/hour. I don't think I'm going to hire somebody at that price.

But tractors seem to hold their value very well right now. Even at 20 years old, a garage kept tractor with <1000 hours should fetch a nice price still. Who knows what tractor prices will be like in 2040, but If I can get $10k for it then, yearly costs would be down to $1675/year.

I'm curious how the operating costs for others work out- especially those that have bought and sold a couple tractors. It's pretty unlikely 2040 me is still going to want to be driving around backwards with no cab, blowing snow.

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #2  
I can say some have cost me nothing due to appreciation and even made a buck.

Of course these were all bought used...

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #3  
Tractor annual payment is about $3600...plus fuel.
Other than grease every so many hours, no other costs

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #5  
It's a matter of luxury for us, personally.

I could mow the lawn with a $100 push mower in a few hours.
I could shovel the driveway snow by hand in about an hour.
I could haul firewood with a wheeled cart.

Back in 2001 when we purchased our machine, I wrote this up...

PT425 from PowerTrac($8000.00 for the machine).
Small toothed bucket.
Large light material bucket.
Pallet forks *
60" finish mower
48" brush cutter
60" power angle snow plow
Loading ramps to drive it into my pickup truck

TOTAL was just under $13K delivered to my home town from Tazewell, VA.

Now figure in repairs and fuel on top of that.
- I've had to put in 3 batteries, so about $300.
- A couple belts = $50
- A starter = $250
- A tire = $50
- Misc nuts and bolts = $25
- Throttle and choke cables = $50
- 50 gallons of fuel per year = I have no idea. Let's say $2.25 for average = $112 per year X 21 years = $2363.

And I left off a few things, like a valve cover, air cleaners, oil, filters, a mower pulley, hydraulic filters, hydraulic oil, a fuel pump, fuel lines, vacuum lines, thread sealant, more misc hardware, additional/replacement headlights, a fire extinguisher, mower blades, mower wheels, brush cutter blades, grease, grease, grease....

Realistically adds up to $900-$1000 per year for me. So about $21K invested.

Now add in the current value of the machine and attachments if I'd sell it. I'd value it at $5-6K, maybe higher, since new ones are double what I paid for it 21 years ago.

So subtract a conservative $5K from the $21K and that leaves me with $16K into 21 years = about $762 a year so far.

A bit over $2.00 per day.

I can live with that extravagance. ;)

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #6  
Initial cost of the 1220 with FEL and BOX Scraper was $7,500 used in 1995.
$120 to trailer it home. $1200 to fix ignition and front wheel drive.
two sets of front tires $400. New bush hog blades, $200. New radiator and water pump, $600, $100 for a new lower pin unit, $3,800, for an over all inspection, transmission rebuild, hydraulic cylinder rebuilds and new brakes. $200 for new bearings in front wheel hub, $160 dollars in batteries, $160 in Hydraulic Fluid, $30 in grease, $100 in oil changes, $4,200 in diesel.

In 28 years..... With out figuring in depreciation, about $402 dollars a year.

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #7  
Knock on wood, so far I've had no breakdown issues, so it's just the cost of oil/filter/sweat...whatever that is per year.

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #8  
I think you are asking this question from a strictly economic dollars and cents perspective. Your situation is certainly not the same as mine given where you live and where I do. I would bet you could find a lower cost alternative to plowing/blowing your drive but I don't know the specs of your drive/property either.

For me, it is the harder to measure cost of being self sufficient and even being able to help my neighbors that has me owning tractors. Also, it is my hobby, so I'm not the best person to answer but I will partially answer your question with a question. Do you enjoy the ability to go out and plow your own drive when you like and at your convenience? That is worth something to me. I do not like to be reliant on others out here in the country.

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #9  
Judging by your name I assume you get a boatload of snow. Your tractor may almost be a necessity.

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #10  
Right now I'm paying between $1500 to $2000 a month
includes payment, fuel, oil and grease etc

willy