Your thoughts for a friends 1st pistol

/ Your thoughts for a friends 1st pistol #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
The Best Man for my wedding is Karen's son and I'm going to give him a pistol for his Best Man gift. He comes out here all the time to help us out and will be spending all his weekends here until the wedding in August. He is 22 years old and he has never had a gun in his life. He enjoys shooting mine, so this seems like a great way to say thank you for all you've done for us and also give him something that he will have the rest of his life.

I've debated between a rifle so he could go hog hunting, or a pistol. Since he can borrow a rifle any time he wants to go hog hunting and will have to be here anyway, that didn't seem like as good an idea as a pistol. The pistol is something he can take with him, but also be there for home defense, if ever needed.

I'm thinking something under $500 in either 9mm, .40 or maybe even a 1911 in .45 caliber since he is a fan of the military. He is a big kid that can handle any caliber, so that's not going to be a concern. Cost of ammo might be an issue since he is still in school and getting started with life. I guess availability is something else to consider. What is an easy to find fairly affordable caliber?

What are the better brands and what should I stay away from?

Does anybody know what Texas law is concerning giving a pistol as a gift?

Thank you,
Eddie

/ Your thoughts for a friends 1st pistol #2  
Gifting is done all the time here, you can also do a transfer form.

.45 is available almost anywhere ammo is sold. I carried a Sig Saur when I was in LEO, they are rugged, unstoppable nearly. We had a demonstration once at a swat training facility, Sig and HK ended up neck and neck in function under poor circumstance (mud.dirt and water). Those two brands would be enough quality to last a lifetime with occasional maintenance.

The new model Sig P220 are sweet, but a full size frame, so not the best choice maybe for a concealed weapon. Both Sig and HK are expensive, but you can find super good deals on very clean used ones (sig usually). I have seen them for 450-$500 if you look around (clean used) If it is a Police trade in, I would look the barrel and action over more closely though.

/ Your thoughts for a friends 1st pistol #3  
Eddie, I'm one of those old timers who prefers revolvers for their simplicity. However, I bought a Sig Sauer P229DAK, 9mm, about 4 years ago and I've been using it to qualify once year. It has NEVER malfunctioned a single time, but when I carried, I still carried my old S&W .38.

Of course it was foolish of me to buy the Sig, but it was for 3 reasons: one was curiosity about the newer semi-autos, especially the DAK (double action Kellerman that I was unfamiliar with), another was 9mm ammo was cheaper than .38 ammo, and another was because, in Texas, if you qualified with a semi-auto, you could legally carry either, but if you qualified with a revolver, you could not legally carry a semi-auto. However, that law has changed now.

So I would certainly recommend the Sig Sauer brand, except that I don't think you could buy a new one under $500. And I think the DAK models are safer, but I can understand some not liking them because of the slightly heavier trigger pull that is the same for all rounds, while other semi-autos have the heavier trigger pull on the first round, then a lighter trigger pull on subsequent rounds.

The new P229DAK retail price is over a thousand, but you might find a bargain in a used one.
P229 DAK

With four 13 round magazines, one 17 round magazine, Sig's paddle holster, a ******** nylon pocket holster, a magazine pouch for two magazines, Winchester ear protection, 475 rounds of 9mm ammo, gun lock, original case and manual, I've got over $1,300 in mine and new now would retail for more than $1,500. And if someone comes along with $900 in his pocket, he can have all of mine.:laughing:

/ Your thoughts for a friends 1st pistol #4  
I think ammo cost should come into consideration since he is in school and probably on a tight budget. I recently made a new purchase of a Smith & Wesson M&P 22. This is the same frame as their 9mm and 40. 22 ammo is a little hard to find but it's getting a lot better. Just gotta keep your eyes open and buy it when you find it. This is an amazing pistol, made by Walther for S&W. I have the luxury of knowing a gun dealer so I bought this for $337, Bass Pro Shop and Cabela's sell them for between $400 and $500. You can burn through 50 rounds of ammo in a hurry, but buying buckets of 1400 rounds for $70 at Walmart eases the pain.

/ Your thoughts for a friends 1st pistol #5  
Rem1911-34552-prod.ashx

6700.jpg

The Remmington and the Ruger 1911's are fine handguns, with good reviews and two of the few that can be bought new for anywhere near your budget.

Contrary to what many people say about them being too large to carry, many, many of us do daily.

/ Your thoughts for a friends 1st pistol #6  
If it is a first gun and for learning how to shoot then a .22 would be a better choice. Cheap ammo (if you can find it), low recoil and noise. Much better for teaching good habits than big bore stuff. How about a Ruger 22/45 FOR ABOUT $325. Looks and feels like a 1911 and .22's are just plain fun to shoot.

/ Your thoughts for a friends 1st pistol #7  
If it is a first gun and for learning how to shoot then a .22 would be a better choice. Cheap ammo (if you can find it), low recoil and noise. Much better for teaching good habits than big bore stuff. How about a Ruger 22/45 FOR ABOUT $325. Looks and feels like a 1911 and .22's are just plain fun to shoot.

I always say that and it's generally correct but I based my recommendation on:

He is a big kid that can handle any caliber, so that's not going to be a concern.

that and that he's not really a 'kid' at 22 yo. He'll most likely love the bigger caliber and want more.

/ Your thoughts for a friends 1st pistol #8  
I have two Springfield Armory XD's,a 9MM compact and a .40S&W.I have owned a lot of hand guns and did a fair amount of research:they were my choice and in your price range new.

/ Your thoughts for a friends 1st pistol #9  
Eddie...I bought a Smith & Wesson SD40 VE Pistol....It is 40 Cal....it is a double stack magazine...comes with 2 mags...double stack 14+1 rounds...It was $350.00 at Academy Sports but I caught a sale and got it for $289.00 but it is a lot of firepower for that small amount of money and I love it...

Product: Model S&W SD40 VE - Std Capacity

/ Your thoughts for a friends 1st pistol #10  
Eddie...I bought a Smith & Wesson SD40 VE Pistol....It is 40 Cal....it is a double stack magazine...comes with 2 mags...double stack 14+1 rounds...It was $350.00 at Academy Sports but I caught a sale and got it for $289.00 but it is a lot of firepower for that small amount of money and I love it...

Product: Model S&W SD40 VE - Std Capacity

That is an amazing deal and still on sale. Great reviews also, I may have to go buy one.